DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Air 2 lasted a week!!!

Good news is the replacement MA2 arrived a couple days ago, and today was my first test day. I drained three batteries in the process. Starting with the basics then working up to challenging flights where it had to deal with elevation changes, tree's, obstacles, and other fun stuff. I did perfectly. I really like the avoidance system. Had I had it properly set up on my first MA2, I seriously doubt it would of elevated into a tree. In any case, it was a great first day. I will run a watered down range test in open countryside in the morning. Nothing too far, just need confidence in moderate length flights of a mile or two out and back in rolling hills. Likely along a branch line railroad and over a trestle. At least that is one of my ideas. We shall see.
Glad to hear you’re in possession and enjoying your new drone...
One question: why do you think the crash could have been avoided by sensor set up... I don’t believe the MA2 has upward sensors... clarify for me and the forum please...TIA

Reactions: itsneedtokno
One question: why do you think the crash could have been avoided by sensor set up... I don’t believe the MA2 has upward sensors... clarify for me and the forum please...TIA
Hello Thomas,

You are correct, the MA2 doesn't have upward facing sensors. Which is why it crashed into the tree after initiating a return to home order. But when in flight, it seems to avoid hazards by scanning ahead. At least that is what it was doing today on challenging test course. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. As my confidence in the MA2 has climbed dramatically after today.

Yet, my suggestion for new MA2 pilots is NOT initiating a take off our climb without visually knowing your surroundings. Especially above you. I learned this from experience... sadly.

Hello, the MA2 has forward facing, rear facing, and bottom facing sensors. Which work amazingly well on forward or reverse moves, as even without the upper sensor, it detects hazards and elevates, descends, or plots a course around hazards. The problem is if you try to climb from a dead stop or hover, as I won't detect the hazard. I only know that so well, as I manually climbed into tree branches while hovering.

I'm hoping the MA3 will have upper, lower, forward, rear, and side sensors for added safety. At very least, upper, lower, front, side, and rear facing sensors. Using the same batteries as the current MA2. As that would be awesome!!!

Hello, the MA2 has forward facing, rear facing, and bottom facing sensors. Which work amazingly well on forward or reverse moves, as even without the upper sensor, it detects hazards and elevates, descends, or plots a course around hazards. The problem is if you try to climb from a dead stop or hover, as I won't detect the hazard. I only know that so well, as I manually climbed into tree branches while hovering.

I'm hoping the MA3 will have upper, lower, forward, rear, and side sensors for added safety. At very least, upper, lower, front, side, and rear facing sensors. Using the same batteries as the current MA2. As that would be awesome!!!
Honestly, they can drop the upward facing sensors. Between the extra weight, processor load, and BOM expense, they aren't necessary. No autopilot system is going to be perfect, and if conditions are that challenging, the craft shouldn't be trying to fly itself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S