DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic has suddenly gotten “weak GPS signal” while flying this week. Is this normal? Flight log pics included.

Ok this is all new language to me!
But why in the world would the drone be turning to the right slowly while hovering if I’m taking off In my front yard on top of cardboard (on top of grass)? Picture above.
That might be something that a compass calibration would correct.
But if you've already calibrated the compass and not modified the Mavic since, I wouldn't expect it to make any difference.
Does it do this consistently at all heights?
How far does it turn?
If you turn the VPS off, does than make any difference?

Your joysticks appear to be properly calibrated.
All inputs are correctly reading 1024 when you go hands off.

Just to be sure this was done, have you calibrated the RC according to the directions in this video?

Reactions: W2EJ and ssvdh66
That might be something that a compass calibration would correct.
But if you've already calibrated the compass and not modified the Mavic since, I wouldn't expect it to make any difference.
Does it do this consistently at all heights?
How far does it turn?
If you turn the VPS off, does than make any difference?

Your joysticks appear to be properly calibrated.
All inputs are correctly reading 1024 when you go hands off.

Yes it turns at all heights. It seems to slowly turn a while but not sure if or when it stops.

I haven’t done anything to the VPS. What is that and how to turn off?

Very interesting!

I’ll test this tomorrow. If I can’t launch on a sidewalk. Where do you suggest I launch? Grass seems to be too high usually to launch. Where do you like to launch from?

Get a launch pad (foldable helipad) and launch from the ground. They’re inexpensive and available anywhere drones are sold. Mine was $15 on Amazon.

I wish I had personal experience, but I have read a lot of similar posts regarding your problem. The common answer seems to be to de-magnetize your Mavic. Cfixer is the most mentioned tool to do this but is pricey. An alternative to Cfixer: https://www.amazon.ca/BQLZR-Mechani...=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&tag=profoundinter-20

This post describes how to use this tool: Compass error after long storage

I hope this helps. Like I said, I do not have personal experience regarding this so please do your research before purchasing and using.

Reactions: Ejp1288
Get a launch pad (foldable helipad) and launch from the ground. They’re inexpensive and available anywhere drones are sold. Mine was $15 on Amazon.

Or a piece of plywood, mdf, pb, hard plastic, picnic table, asphalt etc...
I received a launch pad with my Mavi Air and I have never used it.

Maybe it's not.
But if they don't use reinforcing in their concreting, that's 3rd world standards and the place will crack up and fall apart.
Perhaps your observations aren't correct?
If I'm wrong about the slab not having reinforcement, my M2 and P3 didn't notice. And both did notice metal in the floor at two places I worked.

Yes it turns at all heights. It seems to slowly turn a while but not sure if or when it stops.
I haven’t done anything to the VPS. What is that and how to turn off?
If you are at heights below 10 metres and in good lighting conditions, the VPS (Visual Positioning System - the downward facing sensors) will try to lock onto the ground texture for additional position holding.
If the ground lacks strong pattern or texture (like plain concrete or grass) the drone may appear to wander with the VPS having trouble finding something to lock onto.
Disabling the VPS is a simple way to tell if the movement is related to VPS or not.

You find the settings in the app here:
i-qScnpxN-L.jpg

Then click on Advanced Vision Settings
i-WsLtTZv-L.jpg

Reactions: Ejp1288
Or a piece of plywood, mdf, pb, hard plastic, picnic table, asphalt etc...
I received a launch pad with my Mavi Air and I have never used it.

Thanks! I put cardboard under it and it had some issues still in air (turning right slightly).

If you are at heights below 10 metres and in good lighting conditions, the VPS (Visual Positioning System - the downward facing sensors) will try to lock onto the ground texture for additional position holding.
If the ground lacks strong pattern or texture (like plain concrete or grass) the drone may appear to wander with the VPS having trouble finding something to lock onto.
Disabling the VPS is a simple way to tell if the movement is related to VPS or not.

You find the settings in the app here:
i-qScnpxN-L.jpg

Then click on Advanced Vision Settings
i-WsLtTZv-L.jpg
Thanks! It happened at low altitudes but also over 100ft high. So maybe VPS isn’t to blame if it happens 100 ft up?

Fact is, it would be extremely rare to find a reinforced sidewalk.
Where are you people from. Its standard practice to lay steel mess in a sidewalk. I have never seen a side walk made concrete that didn't have steel mess in it for reinforcing.

Reactions: Meta4
I wish I had personal experience, but I have read a lot of similar posts regarding your problem. The common answer seems to be to de-magnetize your Mavic. Cfixer is the most mentioned tool to do this but is pricey. An alternative to Cfixer: https://www.amazon.ca/BQLZR-Mechani...=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&tag=profoundinter-20
This post describes how to use this tool: Compass error after long storage
I hope this helps. Like I said, I do not have personal experience regarding this so please do your research before purchasing and using.
There's no evidence to suggest he has a problem with his compass.
Your suggestion (guess) is unlikely to be any help.
If I'm wrong about the slab not having reinforcement, my M2 and P3 didn't notice. And both did notice metal in the floor at two places I worked.
So you don't know if your slab is reinforced or not.
I thought you were basing your comments on actual observations of no steel being placed during construction.
Your Mavic might not have been affected because the steel is to deep or large bits might not be right where the drone was, but that does not prove that your slab is not reinforced.

Where are you people from. Its standard practice to lay steel mess in a sidewalk. I have never seen a side walk made concrete that didn't have steel mess in it for reinforcing.
Tampa Bay!
Sorry, I am not helping :)

There's no evidence to suggest he has a problem with his compass.
Your suggestion (guess) is unlikely to be any help.

So you don't know if your slab is reinforced or not.
I thought you were basing your comments on actual observations of no steel being placed during construction.
Your Mavic might not have been affected because the steel is to deep or large bits might not be right where the drone was, but that does not prove that your slab is not reinforced.

I’m not 100% sold on the magnetic issue since I lifted off in my yard on grass several yards away from concrete and problems still occurred.

I’m not 100% sold on the magnetic issue since I lifted off in my yard on grass several yards away from concrete and problems still occurred.
Ür GpS\ÇömpäsS ïs bäd... Çhängë ït n sèá fröm thërë...

It's extremely unlikely that there is any problem with your compass.
The compass is one of the most reliable components in the drone.
Did you encounter the real problem of yaw errors when launching away from the concrete?

It's extremely unlikely that there is any problem with your compass.
The compass is one of the most reliable components in the drone.
Did you encounter the real problem of yaw errors when launching away from the concrete?

I have been too scared to fly it to truly test it out. I just took it up to see if it started to turning thing.

Maybe I’ll take it to the bigger field soon to test in case it flies away. But I feel like it shouldn’t be doing this slow turn thing regardless.

I have been too scared to fly it to truly test it out. I just took it up to see if it started to turning thing.

Maybe I’ll take it to the bigger field soon to test in case it flies away. But I feel like it shouldn’t be doing this slow turn thing regardless.
The GpS\CömpäsS is çömbïned on 1 board in the bäk of drone...

The GpS\CömpäsS is çömbïned on 1 board in the bäk of drone...
GpS\CompasS isn't the most reliable by design cause it gives off heat n it's tiny surface mounted chips that is soldered by heat... It doesn't take much to cold solder or damage itself...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun