DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic2 IS DOWN IN THE RIVER

I was able to see the log. When I left, the attention message that I saw many times without problems for zone D clearly appears. But my drone got up and flew, when he briefly signaled an NFZ and almost immediately landed. I certainly have my faults but I still don't understand everything well. Here is the log

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-04-21_[17-03-37].txt
    143.4 KB · Views: 20
I was able to see the log. When I left, the attention message that I saw many times without problems for zone D clearly appears. But my drone got up and flew, when he briefly signaled an NFZ and almost immediately landed. I certainly have my faults but I still don't understand everything well. Here is the log

Unfortunately you took off before the aircraft had acquired enough satellites for a good position lock. Once it figured out that it was in a NFZ it initiated autolanding, and it looks like you applied the wrong stick inputs to bring it back - in fact you drove it further out over the river. Autoland start to splashdown took 20 seconds - there was time to bring it back to dry land, but you would have to have acted immediately.

When the automatic landing started I had no chance to bring the drone back but only to move it a few meters because it started to go down. But at such a low height (20 meters) could I drop a plane? Why does a landing start immediately? Wouldn't it be fair to give more time to recover the drone ?? Sorry but my drone was paid 1400 euros.....Thanks Dji...

Your flight data looks like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You were flying less than 2.5 km from Aeroporto Amerigo Vespucci and the no-fly zone is shown on DJI's no-fly zone mapping.

The trouble started at 0:52.9 when there is a warning message: You are in a No-Fly Zone Auto-landing Initiated.
The drone was 35 metres from safety at this point and 13 metres higher than the launch point.
The initial response was to push the left stick up for three seconds to keep the drone from descending (but that didn't work).
Then for 2 seconds, no input.
At 1:00.1 you went full forward and full sideways on the left stick.
The drone kept descending while spinning clockwise.
At 1:02.4 you started to use the right stick (with the left stick was still full forward + sideways).
You pulled the right stick back and also full sideways while the drone was descending and rotating.
The confusing sideways + rotating motion has now taken the drone out 60 metres from shore and the recorded data stops at 1:12.2.

The episode lasted 19.3 seconds which would have been enough time to have brought the drone back from 30 metres out.
Some confused joystick work pushed the drone further away rather than bringing it back toward safety.

What could have been done?
The data shows that the drone's horizontal position could be controlled but the descent couldn't.
If the drone was flown straight toward shore, it probably would have survived to fly another day.

Why does a landing start immediately? Wouldn't it be fair to give more time to recover the drone ?? Sorry but my drone was paid 1400 euros.....Thanks Dji...
Understand that you should never even have been in this situation in the first place, there was already a slew of bad decisions made to get you in a situation where the aircraft autolanded.

- You should have checked the map and seen that you couldn't fly there in the first place.
- You should always wait until the aircraft gets a proper GPS lock before taking off, once it had one it wouldn't have allowed you to even start.

i drowned one of my models - not a dji - in a very similar scenario - where it went into emergency landing mode due to vibration/IMU errors. it burned down in water as battery shorted. so, since then i never fly over water low, and, pretty much, uh, prefer not to fly over water at all. :)

Reactions: youngster30uk
Your flight data looks like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You were flying less than 2.5 km from Aeroporto Amerigo Vespucci and the no-fly zone is shown on DJI's no-fly zone mapping.

The trouble started at 0:52.9 when there is a warning message: You are in a No-Fly Zone Auto-landing Initiated.
The drone was 35 metres from safety at this point and 13 metres higher than the launch point.
The initial response was to push the left stick up for three seconds to keep the drone from descending (but that didn't work).
Then for 2 seconds, no input.
At 1:00.1 you went full forward and full sideways on the left stick.
The drone kept descending while spinning clockwise.
At 1:02.4 you started to use the right stick (with the left stick was still full forward + sideways).
You pulled the right stick back and also full sideways while the drone was descending and rotating.
The confusing sideways + rotating motion has now taken the drone out 60 metres from shore and the recorded data stops at 1:12.2.

The episode lasted 19.3 seconds which would have been enough time to have brought the drone back from 30 metres out.
Some confused joystick work pushed the drone further away rather than bringing it back toward safety.

What could have been done?
The data shows that the drone's horizontal position could be controlled but the descent couldn't.
If the drone was flown straight toward shore, it probably would have survived to fly another day.

Unfortunately you took off before the aircraft had acquired enough satellites for a good position lock
Meta4...you are absolutely amazing. I am in awe at what you are able to read with a few graphs, this forum owes you big time. I see many of your investigations and am always blown away with your explanations. You are definitely a a huge plus to this forum. Thank you for all you do.

Last edited:
Wow, excellent analysis guys! I see now it was operator stick control at 1:00.1 that caused the spinning rotation and not a propeller failure. I'm still amazed how much information can be extracted from the log files!

"At 1:00.1 you went full forward and full sideways on the left stick.
The drone kept descending while spinning clockwise."

I'm not going to pile on. Thanks for posting the flight data. Lesson's learned by everyone.

It's my fault ? They agree but only partially. The drone in class D can fly quietly and in fact it took off in flight. I had the opposite sun and I didn't see that I only had 8 satellites. But the drone knew it. Then because the rest was allowed. ?? Wouldn't it be better for the drone to wait at least 11 satellites to get away? Wouldn't it be right for the drone to wait at least 20 seconds before landing in the water? And this especially when it is flying at very low altitude where it cannot harm anyone ..... For me Dji still has a lot to learn to make a drone safer. This is for sure my 1400 euros is in the river and the fault is certainly not only mine. I hope that this disaster of mine will be useful to many of the forum and above all to make it clear that even to drive a drone it takes maximum concentration and no distraction. Look carefully at all the indications on the display and to evaluate, because unfortunately these drones still have a lot to improve to allow us to make a flight in complete tranquility and relaxation, as on a day of Easter ....

Last edited:
I never even attempt to fly until I have checked all the little icons on my screen.
Patients is a virtue... but it ain't always easy.
Being a past drone dunker... I feel your pain ?

Reactions: mrgrind and GregD
I truly feel for you! I have the Mavic Air, Pro and Zoom. Tend to fly my "Old Faithful" Pro more then the new zoom as there appears to be so many posts that concern me with the newer Mavic 2 Series. And like you Iive on a lake and fly mostly over water. The Air is great and used a lot on vacations but it doesn't have the reach of my Pro or Zoom.

I spent the worst Easter day of my life. Surely worse things can happen but 1500 euros thrown into the water are not few. What happened ? I still didn't understand it but my drone was at 30mt altitude from water and suddenly landed in the water ,totally out of control. Everything happened a few meters from me. Unfortunately it was not possible to recover the drone in any way .The firmware is the last version .
I want to clarify that I am not a newbie and I flew at least 300 times with this drone and as many with another drone from another brand

Oh, so sorry to hear that. I've read a couple of times to turn off your bottom sensor when flying close to water. The reflection can throw it off.

I am seriously considering upgrading my Mavic air to a Mavic 2 pro and since you posted your unfortunate incident it would be helpful to others to learn from your loss. Please post your log so we can all benefit from this.
I agree 100% and as a new M2P owner, I’d like to know where I can find these log files?

I'm away from home and I don't have a PC to post the log file. I have, however seen the flight recording on my smartphone. The small flight lasts only 2 minutes. The battery is at 70% and only the message appears briefly before landing in the water of the river is " obstacle avoidance will be disabled in landing " .Then after few seconds the drone is down

I have ones the same problem with my Inspire 1, and the problem was i suddenly have 1 cell of my battery down ...

I spent the worst Easter day of my life. Surely worse things can happen but 1500 euros thrown into the water are not few. What happened ? I still didn't understand it but my drone was at 30mt altitude from water and suddenly landed in the water ,totally out of control. Everything happened a few meters from me. Unfortunately it was not possible to recover the drone in any way .The firmware is the last version .
I want to clarify that I am not a newbie and I flew at least 300 times with this drone and as many with another drone from another brand

Same thing happened to me yesterday with my Mavic Pro. I've never been so bummed in my life!

Reactions: STUFF2C
Same thing happened to me yesterday with my Mavic Pro.
So you are saying that you took off in a no fly zone without giving the aircraft time to get a position lock?
I've never been so bummed in my life!
Obviously you have led an incredibly lucky and sheltered life.

So you are saying that you took off in a no fly zone without giving the aircraft time to get a position lock?

Don't you think you can say something exaggerated? Don't you think the drone can improve by avoiding this type of accident? It would be enough for the drone to start moving from its position only with 11 satellites .... do you think it is an impossible thing to do ???
I know that I have my share of guilt but I am here to avoid repeating my mistake to others but .... the best way would be for Dji to put a patch .... at least I believe this

First of all- sorry for your loss sir- it truly stings I know from experience. +1 on gps lock before takeoff and review all icons. I miraculously survived a very close call when I tangled Mav in a tree about 20’ above the Mississippi over extremely high and fast water. It stayed there 4 days while I tried everything I could to get it back. Winter still has most ppl with their boats stored this time of year but a buddy saved my bacon by taking me out to get it. I’m shocked it didn’t rain or the thing didn’t just fall into the river in those 4 nerve racking days!

Come to find out it’s about $12/year to put $800 worth of drone insurance on it. No deduct, water, theft, loss all covered no questions. NO BRAINER!!!

It can’t hurt to throw a Hail Mary and try for a claim with DJI at this point. I can see why you would say they need to make it easier to fly. On the flip side, the amount of tech they have crammed into these birds compared to a stock FPV drone is a HUGE difference. Believe me when I say these are the best drones out from a user friendly perspective that I’m aware of.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest