DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My presentation about drones. What should I tell them?

MavicMikeMinh

Reactions
I agreed to give a presentation about drones to an audience in a nearby town. I will reuse a presentation I have given on three other occasions to local clubs. My audience will be about 30 people, all of retirement age. I have about 30 mins + questions. To avoid misunderstandings, I don't charge for this.

This could contribute to a better understanding what drone flying is about, why it's not a dangerous thing and why drones are not first and foremost about privacy invasion.

Any good ideas what I should definitely add to my talk?
Any points I should rather not mention at all?
Also, I could do with a good headline or title for the whole thing. I have one I quite like but will reveal it only later on, so you don't get influenced in your creativity.

Any idea welcome.

Thanks

I think the use of drones for spying should be completed excluded from your talk. Even if you're saying that drones aren't used for spying, people will naturally start to consider it. I think it should only be addressed if a question is asked in regards to it. Just my two cents.

I agreed to give a presentation about drones to an audience in a nearby town. I will reuse a presentation I have given on three other occasions to local clubs. My audience will be about 30 people, all of retirement age. I have about 30 mins + questions. To avoid misunderstandings, I don't charge for this.

This could contribute to a better understanding what drone flying is about, why it's not a dangerous thing and why drones are not first and foremost about privacy invasion.

Also, I could do with a good headline or title for the whole thing. I have one I quite like but will reveal it only later on, so you don't get influenced in your creativity.

Any idea welcome.

Thanks
I think that your talk should be divided into three sections:

1. How to fly legally
    1. FAA Rules
      1. Registration
      2. Testing
      3. Labelling
      4. etc.
  2. How to fly safely (without crashing)
    1. Understanding GPS/RTH
    2. Flying (or not) near or over people, cars, etc.
    3. Signal coverage (trees, buildings, distance)
    4. Risk vs. Reward
  3. How to fly (the easy part)
    1. Drone
    2. Controller
    3. Phone/Tablet
That outline contains just a few ideas off the top of my head and is incomplete. However, it is a good starting point.

If I were to give a Presentation I would start off with some nice pictures : Sunsets : Lightning shots : Storm Clouds : to show what the Hobby is all about. So you will need a Projector or Large TV

I than would show some Perimeter shots of a farms with broken fence , maybe a flood , or dead animal on the property .

Than I would make a small feature film of a hike in the woods using drone footage to add to its overall environment.

From there I would move into how the Drones are being used for Search and Rescue form dogs and cats to 911 Emergency calls and pilots can help .

Last on my list would be : Real Estate : Roofing : and 107 Interest .

Leave any of the Nonsense for Q and A

Your welcome to use my pictures as Examples of what is possible

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

Without seeing what your presentation already contains it's hard (ok impossible) to suggest any additions :)

I think DJ Wes gave an excellent outline of what it could look like.

I think the use of drones for spying should be completed excluded from your talk. Even if you're saying that drones aren't used for spying, people will naturally start to consider it. I think it should only be addressed if a question is asked in regards to it. Just my two cents.

Agree never bring up negatives, if positives are addressed in an interesting way, no one will probably even keep negatives in mind as the presentation evolves.
If anyone asks specifically, you could address that with a brief to the point short summary that’s prepared.
Try your best to finish on a positive note, rather than do that issue (if it comes up) at the very end) maybe finish with a video of 4 to 6 really nice 10 second video shots.
Hopefully you can introduce some sort of screen display, even a large screen tele you can USB stick to to show some photos / short video clips.

Reactions: Gagey52

1. How to fly legally
    1. FAA Rules
      1. Registration
      2. Testing
      3. Labelling
      4. etc.
    1. Understanding GPS/RTH
    4. Risk vs. Reward
    1. Drone
    2. Controller
    3. Phone/Tablet
That outline contains just a few ideas off the top of my head and is incomplete. However, it is a good starting point.

They're retirees, they would be bored or asleep before he finished the first rule.

Show tons of the best video and pictures you have then tell them how easy the drones are to fly and control and how much fun it can be to travel to a new location and take some footage. Maybe throw in some local spots they might try out. Talk about how it's a great hobby to share with a child or grandchild.

I would show them how wide the cameras are so any fears about people looking into their windows or watching what they are doing can be written off. In my experience anyway, I find a lot of people who dislike drones think they are able to see what they are doing or into their homes from hilariously far distances. I'm guessing at least some people who want to attend something like this are doing so because they have concerns.

I would avoid talking about maximum ranges, unless it's in the context of what is legal/illegal to further help alleviate any concerns.

Sounds like you are giving more of an 'Introductory' presentation rather than a 'A to Z' classroom style presentation.

If so I would not get too deep into the nuts and bolts except to say that; while they are easy to fly that there is a good deal of responsibility that goes along with owning and operating. Usually people that are not involved with the hobby, but would like to know more, want the basics - How much do they cost? How far can they fly? How Fast? How high can they go? - and so on.

There is only so much a group of seniors will be able to 'take in' in just 30 minutes. Make it fun, show lots of pictures and videos on a big 4K monitor, throw in a small demonstration and they'll eat it up. If you have a Q and A session, then you'll get questions that will allow you to expand on individual subjects such as regulations and so forth.

Live streaming feed to biggest monitor they got. This allows you to demonstrate capability of camera and FPV. You can just walk around with it or point it out window.

Reactions: BigAl07
They're retirees, they would be bored or asleep before he finished the first rule.
If they've had their Horlicks first they might not even last that long. 😆

Reactions: Cymruflyer

Any idea welcome.

Thanks
Interesting questions....I've been asked to do a similar presentation, so will be watching the comments with interest 👍
Good luck...yours will probably happen before mine 😁

Dunno about that.

Some sleazy drone pilots DO spy on people, and what's more important in this context is that a lot of people BELIEVE they do. Since they do believe that, it will degrade your credibility if you don't mention it. The best thing you can do would be to acknowledge it, but leave people with the belief that drones are still cool.

It's not obvious how to do that. But here's a thought.

If there is any reasonable estimate for how often that happens, you could say something like:

"It's estimated that one out of every 10,000 drone pilots spy on people. If you see that happening, call the cops or the FAA. The overwhelming majority of drone pilots condemn that kind of sleazy behavior."

Or something that.

For a title? Maybe:

The Truth About Drones

?

I'll be very easy to hear how it goes!

Thx,

TCS

1. How to fly legally
    1. FAA Rules
      1. Registration
      2. Testing
      3. Labelling
      4. etc.
    1. Understanding GPS/RTH
    4. Risk vs. Reward
    1. Drone
    2. Controller
    3. Phone/Tablet
I've given a lot of presentations over the years, and it would be VERY DIFFICULT to cover all of that effectively in half an hour.

TCS

Agree never bring up negatives, if positives are addressed in an interesting way, no one will probably even keep negatives in mind as the presentation evolves.
If anyone asks specifically, you could address that with a brief to the point short summary that’s prepared.
Try your best to finish on a positive note, rather than do that issue (if it comes up) at the very end) maybe finish with a video of 4 to 6 really nice 10 second video shots.
Hopefully you can introduce some sort of screen display, even a large screen tele you can USB stick to to show some photos / short video clips.
It depends on how pervasive the spying/anti-drone perspective is. If fewer than 10% of the audience has any concerns about that, then your suggestions make sense. If it's more than that...we need to develop effective ways to respond to those concerns, without just ranting.

How do you determine that number? You guess. It sounds like you've made presentations a fair amount, and their are ways to present things that will let you gauge the audience's response.

I think this is a very important topic, and I think You're doing a very good thing!

:)

TCS

Show tons of the best video and pictures you have then tell them how easy the drones are to fly and control and how much fun it can be to travel to a new location and take some footage. Maybe throw in some local spots they might try out. Talk about how it's a great hobby to share with a child or grandchild.
This is a great suggestion!

TCS

Reactions: thispilothere
Live streaming feed to biggest monitor they got. This allows you to demonstrate capability of camera and FPV. You can just walk around with it or point it out window.
Has anyone here actually DONE this? It could be a great tool, if it's easy enough to use.

Thx,

TCS

Don’t think I would mention the FAA as that is an American Organisation, the OP is UK based, think I would talk about photography and drones with maybe a slide show of anything of your Local Interest just to show people what you can achieve with drones. The a Q&A session and if the subject of spying , snooping or privacy come up show them a few images of your property taken at various heights to demonstrate how little intrusiveness drones actually are, also take a drone/s to show them ,cheers Len

There have been a bunch of good points brought out...I think your approach is more like an introductory course in how one would get involved in flying drones...I think you should distance your presentation from any references to spying or government agencies unless specifically asked...and then response hould be short and to the point...I think if you bring a drone...show its size...fire it up and hover it in the auditorium that will get their interest...then just display some photography and videos...keep the subject on drones...not flying drones or regulations surrounding them....save those topics for a future presentation...best of luck with it...if you can...please video what you do and post it for us to see

Reactions: 4006448
Given the audience I'd forego talking about the rules and regulations - anyone that wants to know will ask. They'll be more interested what they can use a drone for, and in seeing nice photos from unusual views which is exactly what drones are good for. When I got interested in drones I spent loads of time looking at other people's photos and videos - that's what made me finally buy one - I'd always fancied trying aerial photography. As a manager I got well used to hearing the phrase 'death by powerpoint' (not referring to my presentations of course) so no long-winded explanations or bullet points - just give them a brief overview of how easy they are to fly, how good the photos and video can be. Pique their interest and you'll have them hooked. Present them with lists of rules, facts and figures and you'll lose your audience, and that you don't want. Hope it all goes well for you. Anything that gives drones a positive image in the eyes of the public is to be commended.

Thank you guys, loads of ideas from almost around the globe. Great.
@BSauce955 Yes, the spying aspect should not be too big. They did however already ask about it, not wit these words.
@DJ Wes Great outline, I'll take inspiration and will adapt to UK (CAA here, not FAA, a finesse). Maybe I take a diff order 3,2,1
@Phantomrain.org Thanks for your your permission about the photos. Also some good ideas, but need to select carefully to get it all in into the available time.
@MAvic_South_Oz what did you mean with a "a large screen tele"? I have a reasonable room.
IMG_6236_200.jpeg
@thispilothere Agree, best video and pictures should win people over.

I have a slide with a pics of a CCTV cam, and a dashcam. Usually nobody gets upset about those, so....

@Chip Live streaming? Of what?
@MARK (LI) Seriously, hovering in this room? I doubt this can be good idea.
@The Fat Controller Am well aware about "death by PPT", I'm used to present, it's part of my day job, so far nobody fell asleep in many years :cool:

But I will keep contributing to this discussion and tell you about how it goes, no video though, privacy and all....

Anybody got a catchy title for the lot?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark