DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My presentation about drones. What should I tell them?

@The Fat Controller Am well aware about "death by PPT", I'm used to present, it's part of my day job, so far nobody fell asleep in many years :cool:
There's always a first time. :D (just kidding!)

Thank you guys, loads of ideas from almost around the globe. Great.
@BSauce955 Yes, the spying aspect should not be too big. They did however already ask about it, not wit these words.
@DJ Wes Great outline, I'll take inspiration and will adapt to UK (CAA here, not FAA, a finesse). Maybe I take a diff order 3,2,1
@Phantomrain.org Thanks for your your permission about the photos. Also some good ideas, but need to select carefully to get it all in into the available time.
@MAvic_South_Oz what did you mean with a "a large screen tele"? I have a reasonable room.
View attachment 137459
@thispilothere Agree, best video and pictures should win people over.

I have a slide with a pics of a CCTV cam, and a dashcam. Usually nobody gets upset about those, so....

@Chip Live streaming? Of what?
@MARK (LI) Seriously, hovering in this room? I doubt this can be good idea.
@The Fat Controller Am well aware about "death by PPT", I'm used to present, it's part of my day job, so far nobody fell asleep in many years :cool:

But I will keep contributing to this discussion and tell you about how it goes, no video though, privacy and all....

Anybody got a catchy title for the lot?
I was picturing your presentation in an auditorium....not in a lounge like that

I second the idea of concentrating on capabilities and nice pictures rather than regulations.

I would mention the regulations, in that they exist with a very brief oveview and pointer to more information. One slide max, mostly geared at which type of drone to start with so you don't have to worry too much about licensing and basic safety (don't fly near people, airports, etc). (In Canada that would be sub-250 g, not certain about the UK.) Also a list of good local places to go flying, if you know of any, in case anyone in the audience is thinking of starting the hobby.

In terms of privacy, I deal with that by describing my drone as a flying cell phone camera that sounds like a hedge trimmer. So it takes the equivalent of a cell phone snap, from far enough away that you aren't bothering people, so you're not going to get nice close-ups of people or wildlife, but rather beautiful scenic shots. I don't directly say "this can't secretly spy on you", but rather imply it.

It depends on how pervasive the spying/anti-drone perspective is. If fewer than 10% of the audience has any concerns about that, then your suggestions make sense. If it's more than that...we need to develop effective ways to respond to those concerns, without just ranting.

How do you determine that number? You guess. It sounds like you've made presentations a fair amount, and their are ways to present things that will let you gauge the audience's response.

I think this is a very important topic, and I think You're doing a very good thing!

:)

TCS

Exactly, what my comment "If anyone asks specifically, you could address that with a brief to the point short summary that’s prepared." is related to . . .

Prepare a response.
That might include having a few photos prepared from say 100', 50', showing just how little one sees of people on the ground etc.
Mostly, doing an intro showing some beaut landscapes etc, and the presenter highlights about drone operators being firstly photographers / videographers, using the drone as a tool, that might just open peoples minds enough to keep the spying thing low key.

I know many older folk might have that in the minds forefront, hence must have a plan to negate those fears if needed.

"It's estimated that one out of every 10,000 drone pilots spy on people. If you see that happening, call the cops or the FAA. The overwhelming majority of drone pilots condemn that kind of sleazy behavior."

Or something that.

Maybe play it against more people use regular cameras or cell phone cameras to spy on people, not to mention constant CCTV monitoring in our lives.

And like all things in life, there are some idiots doing the wrong thing, but it is a VERY tiny % in relativeness to numbers involved in any of those activities.

@MAvic_South_Oz what did you mean with a "a large screen tele"? I have a reasonable room.
IMG_6236_200.jpeg

Tele = TV, television, some sort of screen, which I see on the wall there ? :)

That's a nice casual setting, should be some relaxed folk present.

Drones, what ARE they all about then ?

For most of us, a personal aerial camera for the hobbyist / professional, S&R, industry, Police, Fire, agriculture, mapping, news / sports presentation, spying . . . no, no, that just slipped out !! ha ha

Reactions: MARK (LI)
@BSauce955 Yes, the spying aspect should not be too big. They did however already ask about it, not wit these words.
@DJ Wes Great outline, I'll take inspiration and will adapt to UK (CAA here, not FAA, a finesse). Maybe I take a diff order 3,2,1
@Phantomrain.org Thanks for your your permission about the photos. Also some good ideas, but need to select carefully to get it all in into the available time.
View attachment 137459

I have a slide with a pics of a CCTV cam, and a dashcam. Usually nobody gets upset about those, so....

But I will keep contributing to this discussion and tell you about how it goes, no video though, privacy and all....

"Anybody got a catchy title for the lot?"

How about something built on "a bird's eye view," if that phrase commonly used in the UK?

View attachment 137459

"Never Too Late To Hone Your Droning Skills"

...as old folks are known for Droning on.

Rather than spying, I would discuss search and rescue, police use of infrared technology to see if a building is occupied, mapping, use of drones in agriculture and water sampling (Reign Maker), and wildlife migration monitoring. AOPA may have some videos on their web site.

Has anyone here actually DONE this? It could be a great tool, if it's easy enough to use.

Thx,

TCS
I have not done it wirelessly. But I think all it takes is the right dongle. The live FPV showcases the camera capability very directly.

@Phantomrain.org
View attachment 137459
Live stream from camera. Basically, mirroring your own screen image but wirelessly. This allows you to walk around room with drone in hand, explaining the data they see on screen and demonstrating features such as zoom. You can point camera out window and have fresh canvas. It makes your presentation more interactive.

I would mention from the start that the press seems to always push the spying angle of drones flying around a neighbor hood, which makes people believe this is what mostly goes on. Then tell them that no matter what technology is out there, there is always a minute sector that uses it for less than honourable purposes. You might like to point out that the press has hyped the bad aspect of drones causing problems just for sensationalism, such as the shutdown of the UK's major airports, but in fact, it was never shown that any drone was responsible for that. It just sold newspapers and gave genuine drone flyers an undeserved bad name. I feel it is important to educate the public about such bad reporting by the major news organizations.

Tell them, the reality is that a fraction of real drone users are up to no good, just like anyone who owns a camera or a car. Then mention that we'll never be able to stop those sorts of things going on but then go one to state all the good that drones have been used for, from search and rescue to amazing videos showing us things that have never before been possible to show because helicopter could never get into such small spaces. Then show some dramatic video scenes, like that which can be found here in this forum to dramatic landscapes.

Point out briefly that there are now regs. in place to make sure the sport is kept as safe as possible, allowing people to get to places and view scenes, once only reserved for birds. Even people with low mobility (like some seniors) with a drone, there are no longer boundaries to where they can explore, with a drone. Of course again stressing as long as they are flying within the law. Let them know that a whole new world is out there for them to see, if they choose to get into drone flying, one that was never before in the history of mankind, now affordably available, to just about every person on the street. then again finish off with some amazing scenery from the UK and there are a lot of great drone video makers on this forum that have shown us some spectacular scenes.

Glad to hear you’re helping to educate others on drones. We all can benefit from this. One suggestion-perhaps include the importance of personal responsibility in flying safely and showing respect to property owners who may be less than enthused with low flights around their domain. It could help keep the sky open to the next generation of drone pilots. Best wishes for a successful presentation!

I think you should only tell them what you know and what you have personally experienced. Photography is my main interest and I would want to know all there is to know about that.

I would leave out the negative age comments that some have posted on this thread. Not all of us old farts will fall asleep during a half hour presentation.

I've done several drone presentations like this, the last one at my mother-in-law's seniors residence. It was fun.

The first question everyone always asks is, "You use that to spy on your neighbours?" Privacy is big issue. Everyone thinks drones are only ever used for spying or dropping explosives. I always address that first.

Do a YouTube search for "Canon SX60 zoom test". It's a cheap camera, sells for ~$300 on eBay, and has an incredible zoom lens. Here's a sample.

The point is, if you're intent on spying on people, it's far cheaper, safer, more discrete, and simpler to use something like that camera, rather than an expensive, noisy, drone with flashing lights that everyone immediately suspects of spying on them. Then I show a series of my favourite videos to illustrate what drones are actually capable of.

An old guy in the front row asked me at least ten times, "All these pictures are from a drone?" Ah, yup for sure. It's kinda the whole point of my presentation, eh?

A lot of my own videos are from over our lake. His other question, asked at least twenty times, "What lake is that?" I explained it's a small lake that none of you are likely to ever have heard of, but you may know Lake M[...}, the next big lake over there. After the 5th time being asked again which lake it is, I caught on that the old guy has short-term memory problems.

There were 35 people in the audience. My mother-in-law said it was the most people they've ever had attending one of their presentations. At the end of my talk I invited anyone to stay behind if they had further questions. Most had to run off to their next activity, but ten stayed behind for more questions.

Eventually we had to finish up and everybody left except one old lady in the back row who had waited patiently until everyone else was gone before getting a chance to ask me her question. "Could you please help me get up out of my seat?" :)

The guy who invited me a few years ago to do one of these presentations thanks me every time we get in touch with each other. He's a wildlife photographer and bought himself a Canon SX60 camera. :)

I would leave out the negative age comments that some have posted on this thread. Not all of us old farts will fall asleep during a half hour presentation.
I think you might be referring to comments I made but I assure you they weren't meant to be taken as negative. I'm of that age myself and was simply trying to raise a smile at the general perception of 'old' people. As the saying goes, 'Age is only a number, you're as young as you feel'. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007