DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My zoom is in a 44ft gum tree out in the bush.

Steve M

Reactions
While camping in rough bush I stuck it in a tree, my fault, I know what I did wrong. I know where to find it, the problem is that it is a 1/2 hour walk through a river crossing and bush. I had to leave it there and return home.
I can return for it in 2 weeks.
I am looking for recovery suggestions, I can carry rope, binoculars, 12 ft extension pole but I probably won't get it with that.
What would other people do?
Cheers Steve

My flight log ends at it being 44 ft, but with a bit of luck it might fall down by the time that I get back.

Can you airlift it out with a second drone or is there too much foliage above where your drone is struck? If so, perhaps another local drone owner would assist. 44 ft is pretty high to recover from the ground. Can the tree be climbed? Good luck mate, and sorry for your troubles. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Steve M
The tree did seem to be too fat for a lineman and too bushy for an airlift unfortunately.
It has no low branches either.

I will update in a couple of weeks after I have been able to return and look under the tree, if it is windy it may fall.
I don't think that I will be able to get up there.
How does the PVC pipe work Thomas?

Sorry... server must have had a glitch

I will update in a couple of weeks after I have been able to return and look under the tree, if it is windy it may fall.
I don't think that I will be able to get up there.
How does the PVC pipe work Thomas?
Take 4-5 ten foot pieces of 2” PVC pipe, the joining pieces for the pipe, some glue, some duct tape, and a fishing net. Take a friend if you can. Assemble the pipes to make a single 50’ piece and attach the net to the end. Then see if you can get the drone in the net... just a thought.

Catapult, fishing sinker and an old fishing reel.
Jury rig the whole system and try to get the sinker shot over the right branch.
If you miss, cut the line, retrieve it and re-tie it together,
Keep going until you get the lucky shot.
Cut line again and add string, pull that through. Repeat and add rope, until you can get some one both ends of the rope to shake the XYZ! out of the tree and make the drone fall.
Catching the Drone is an extention of this art!!!!

Reactions: Steve M and JS1600
We used fishing weights, fishing line, and a sling shot to get the line over a limb that held an airplane a while back. It took several attempts to get the right limb but as noted above when (not if) you miss, cut the line (recover it don't leave it as trash), tie the weight on the new line and give it another go. I'd guess it took maybe a dozen attempts before he hit the right area.

The key is knowing exact where the aircraft is. Also the above method worked because it was a tall Poplar Tree so it was not exactly a BUSHY tree.

Good luck and let us know.

I tied fishing line to an arrow and shot it over the limb the drone was hung up on. Shook it until the drone tumbled down. It was about 30' up but was okay after its descent. Fortunately, it wasn't my M2Z but an inexpensive Hubsan I use for learning both ATTI and Manual flying. Had to use the Mavic to find the Hubsan and then did the bow and arrow thing! Good Luck with your recovery efforts.

While camping in rough bush I stuck it in a tree, my fault, I know what I did wrong. I know where to find it, the problem is that it is a 1/2 hour walk through a river crossing and bush. I had to leave it there and return home.
I can return for it in 2 weeks.
I am looking for recovery suggestions, I can carry rope, binoculars, 12 ft extension pole but I probably won't get it with that.
What would other people do?
Cheers Steve

Hi Steve,

If the other rope slinging ideas don’t work, I’d resort to calling one of these guys to see if they can help or if they know someone nearby that can. They advertise themselves as cat rescue, but they will retrieve drones as well. If you’ve never used or had climbing training with spurs, forget those suggestions to do it, please!! Tree climbing ladders (AKA: Climbing Sticks) along with a safety harness and rope are much safer.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan