DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mystery flyaway: What happened?

Do Not Remove It!
Its there to allow the gimbal to smoothly move by the other metal parts. If you remove it you will get scratches on the curved back.

Robbyg ... pleeease!
What do you invent?
You have wrote an obvious nonsense.
All those transparent protective films must be removed immediately if you think to use the product and not sell or ship back to the seller.
Particularly the ones that have a colored tab that say you:
Hey!
Can you see me?
Please remove me from here!
Cannot belive to see that someone do not think to remove all these films, placed almost everywhere, also on some connectors, USB cable, charger, etc.

Maybe if you buy glasses with a protective trasparent film attached on them, you don't remove it just to avoid scratching them with everyday use?!

Is it possible/effective to change the RTH height mid-flight? For example in this case he was at 800ft before attempting to go through the V, could he have set the RTH height at that point to 1000ft?

Is it possible/effective to change the RTH height mid-flight? For example in this case he was at 800ft before attempting to go through the V, could he have set the RTH height at that point to 1000ft?
Good question...I'm not certain, but I would think it has to be set when the home point is recorded, and can't be changed till a new home point is recorded.

Robbyg ... pleeease!
What do you invent?
You have wrote an obvious nonsense.
All those transparent protective films must be removed immediately if you think to use the product and not sell or ship back to the seller.
Particularly the ones that have a colored tab that say you:
Hey!
Can you see me?
Please remove me from here!
Cannot belive to see that someone do not think to remove all these films, placed almost everywhere, also on some connectors, USB cable, charger, etc.

Maybe if you buy glasses with a protective trasparent film attached on them, you don't remove it just to avoid scratching them with everyday use?!

The TAB you see on that film is there so that the factory worker has something to hold onto when they apply the protective layer without getting their fingers into the adhesive backing. If you have noticed it does not come off easily, because it's not supposed to! It is put on with a glue that is designed to stay on, also the surface of the film is not just a regular surface, but it is actually very durable and slippery, like a Teflon coating has been applied.

None of this is new, it was discovered very early on by Peter Homer. It's actually sad that so much good info has been buried in this forum and that people repeat mistakes that the early adopters found out about.

And yes people like myself have not removed the plastic thanks to Peter. It's been nine months and I have no scratches and have never experienced a gimbal motor error.

There are several threads on this topic if you search the forum.
Here is one of them.
Yellow tab on inside top of gimbal?
It shows where even DJI tells you not to remove it.

Rob

Last edited:
Hello, I'm a reasonably experienced drone pilot without any crashes to my record. I've flown both Phantoms and Mavics for years. However, that dreaded event happened today. :(

I was flying around the craggy mountains of Southern Arizona. I was gently "barnstorming" the peaks of nearby mountains when I decided to fly thru a V-crack in the ridgeline. I had turned the Sport mode off and was just inching thru the V-crack (which was around 25-30 feet wide) around 800' elevation from me in the valley. The drone's relative elevation was around 25 feet high from the bottom of the V-crack. It was fairly breezy, but not too windy.

The Mavic was approximately 3000 feet away and I had good signal. I was also flying with the DJI goggles. Right as I passed thru the V-crack, I lost signal (also Weak GPS Signal on screen) and never regained it. I even tried the RTH button, but it never reconnected. Being that the drone was at 800' elevation from the launch point, I assume that the climbing mode didn't actuate when the internal RTH command was issued.

Also, I have been receiving a constant errors in my recent flights which said: "FORWARD SENSOR CALIBRATION ERROR".

My guess is that my Mavic crashed into a mountaintop upon return as it didn't climb and didn't have forward sensors (although Sport mode was off). I could not investigate the crash site as it was too steep and would require crossing restricted mining land. What else could have happened (See attached screen shot)?

View attachment 21541
Mid air there are a lot of radio frequencies and I think yours got caught in the cross frequencies and got picked up by another frequency this is not very uncommon to happen it's like having a CB radio and some body my enter in your cross channel and talk all over your frequency

Mid air there are a lot of radio frequencies and I think yours got caught in the cross frequencies and got picked up by another frequency this is not very uncommon to happen it's like having a CB radio and some body my enter in your cross channel and talk all over your frequency

This is complete nonsense. Did you actually read what happened? He flew into a crack in solid rock. Solid rock = radio opaque. His RTH altitude was set incorrectly which most likely led to a crash up in that mountain ridge top crack.

Yes you can. You can pretty much change any setting mid flight.

Reactions: Mavic_Pete
1.Flying the Mavic with the shipping protector on the FWD sensors most likely contributed a great deal to your mishap
2. Flying with the Clear plastic Gimball cover does cause the gimbal to overheat so that probably also contributed to the mishap but it's speculative.
3. Flying in a known mining area would have raised a question as to what is it that they are mining? Understanding that there is an IMU and compass onboard the Mavic would have triggered a caution in the mind "Maybe I should not fly in an Iron rich environment" Situational awareness is a part of RISK management that all pilots need to understand and plan for.

In my limited (don't shoot me down too hard) understanding of all the complexities of the Mavic's operational system, I would have assumed that regardless of interference with the radio frequencies, or the iron content in the rocks, it's forward facing optical OA system should still work. Regardless of the RH altitude pre-set. (It's not going to drop alt down to a lower RH alt) It will just stop, turn towards home, then fly towards home, and should avoid any obstacles by trying to go around them. (I'm not even sure about what it does when it senses an obstacle, fly around it or try to go up and over?)

If the above is true, then I would also assume that the entire problem in this case was due to the plastic film on one or both of the forward facing OA cameras, or a standard complete failure of OA itself.

Unless GPS was also lost and it drifted sideways into the cliff face...

Do Not Remove It!
Its there to allow the gimbal to smoothly move by the other metal parts. If you remove it you will get scratches on the curved back.

Rob
False. Its just there for assembly. If it was not to be removed, it would not have a tab to make removing it easy, be much more harder to remove (it would be sticky like a decal) and have print on it that says DO NOT REMOVE.

1.Flying the Mavic with the shipping protector on the FWD sensors most likely contributed a great deal to your mishap
2. Flying with the Clear plastic Gimball cover does cause the gimbal to overheat so that probably also contributed to the mishap but it's speculative.
3. Flying in a known mining area would have raised a question as to what is it that they are mining? Understanding that there is an IMU and compass onboard the Mavic would have triggered a caution in the mind "Maybe I should not fly in an Iron rich environment" Situational awareness is a part of RISK management that all pilots need to understand and plan for.
Oh geeze. This is so far from accurate.

The TAB you see on that film is there so that the factory worker has something to hold onto when they apply the protective layer without getting their fingers into the adhesive backing. If you have noticed it does not come off easily, because it's not supposed to! It is put on with a glue that is designed to stay on, also the surface of the film is not just a regular surface, but it is actually very durable and slippery, like a Teflon coating has been applied.

None of this is new, it was discovered very early on by Peter Homer. It's actually sad that so much good info has been buried in this forum and that people repeat mistakes that the early adopters found out about.

And yes people like myself have not removed the plastic thanks to Peter. It's been nine months and I have no scratches and have never experienced a gimbal motor error.

There are several threads on this topic if you search the forum.
Here is one of them.
Yellow tab on inside top of gimbal?
It shows where even DJI tells you not to remove it.

Rob
False. Protective covers and decals are applied in a two layer process, a bottom covering and a top covering so there is no chance of touching the sticky. The tabs are there to help when the film is to be removed. The film on the gimbal is supposed to be removed. Do you really think DJI designed a gimbal that rubs or bangs against itself so they had to use a sticker to remedy it? A sticker? Not a rubber bump or designing it so that it has better tolerances? Nope, just slap a sticker on there, oh and put a non sticking colored tab on it so it confuses people and they remove it and therefore disables our remedy and causes a lot of defective units. Should we print DO NOT REMOVE on the sticker? Nope. Let them guess.
Of course it is supposed to be removed. Just like all the other stickers used in assembly and shipping that you removed when you took it out of the box.
You theory is ridiculous.

False. Protective covers and decals are applied in a two layer process, a bottom covering and a top covering so there is no chance of touching the sticky. The tabs are there to help when the film is to be removed. The film on the gimbal is supposed to be removed. Do you really think DJI designed a gimbal that rubs or bangs against itself so they had to use a sticker to remedy it? A sticker? Not a rubber bump or designing it so that it has better tolerances? Nope, just slap a sticker on there, oh and put a non sticking colored tab on it so it confuses people and they remove it and therefore disables our remedy and causes a lot of defective units. Should we print DO NOT REMOVE on the sticker? Nope. Let them guess.
Of course it is supposed to be removed. Just like all the other stickers used in assembly and shipping that you removed when you took it out of the box.
You theory is ridiculous.

I have worked in manufacturing and design engineering for over 40 years and my take is the stick on protector should definitely be removed.
It is 100% obvious for several reasons.

Did any of you read post #26 before commenting?
DJI has stated that it should not be removed. They have said this not once but on numerous occasions.

People who remove it end up with scratches on the back of the gimbal, these scratches get worst with time. Look at the video I linked and read the post. Also search the forum and you will find lots of threads on the subject.

If you want to remove yours go ahead, no skin off of my back.

Rob

Do Not Remove It!

Rob

Great info here! I noticed this and did not remove it but was 50/50 on removing it. As I watched the gimbal do its calibration when turning the Mavic on I figured this was to protect the top of the gimbal from scratches. Thanks for clarifying!!

Reactions: Robbyg
DJI has stated that it should not be removed. They have said this not once but on numerous occasions.

People who remove it end up with scratches on the back of the gimbal, these scratches get worst with time. Look at the video I linked and read the post. Also search the forum and you will find lots of threads on the subject.

Rob
There are also people who say that they have called DJI or talked to someone with DJI and they said you should remove it.
Your logic is wrong. It should be removed.

I ripped it off when I got mine in December and have not had
any issues . Had that tab and thought I was suppose to :)
Think I will go look for it and put it back on now.
running.gif

Reactions: SNP and Robbyg

Rob

In my Mavic Pro (bought in Italy shop) the gimbal is different and there is not scratches in the back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21