DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Napping with the Mavic 3 , Satellite Tricks.

Is it the drone that picks up all the satellites, or does the controller have some effect as to how many are picked up? Also do you think being hidden by the house has an effect on the number? I face a similar situation if I take off on my porch.

Is it the drone that picks up all the satellites, or does the controller have some effect as to how many are picked up? Also do you think being hidden by the house has an effect on the number? I face a similar situation if I take off on my porch.
I can fly the same exact path with the Air 2S and have 18 Sats just starting out and capturing 23 Sats by the time I am over the trees. The M3 Has issue using the New Satellite system as its been noted that its not using the Same Satellite system as the Air 2 or Air 2s and it clearly making a Difference for many .

What I was really surprised by was how fast I can loose them and by the time I had landed I was down to 12 Sats . One other thing I noticed on a long distance flight was that my transmission signal was very very strong and did not drop where my Air 2S did.

Last week I left the Drone on the front Deck running in the Pouring Rain and I left the Controller on my desk downstairs , After 20 minutes I went up to check on the drone and sure enough it had aquired 16 Sats , so at this point I would say its the Drone connects to the Sats and not the Controller , will see with some of the Tech Say about this.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 out the window in the Rain / Snow

It's the drone, the controller has no effect on GPS satellite reception.
If you launch from your porch, you are probably blocking half the sky (and satellites there) so the drone can't receive their signals.

Tick Tock , Will I let it go, I feel the toll of the Church bell coming on the 26 th , for those that saw the Movie Silent Hill. 🤪
Your satellite reception isn't related to height.
It's related to how much of the sky the drone can see.
When you bring the drone down, the lower parts of the sky are masked by tree cover etc.

Of course where you stand or sit makes no difference to satellite reception.
The satellite receiver is inside your drone !!!

Your satellite reception isn't related to height.
It's related to how much of the sky the drone can see.
When you bring the drone down, the lower parts of the sky are masked by tree cover etc.

Of course where you stand or sit makes no difference to satellite reception.
The satellite receiver is inside your drone !!!
I am going to do the Same test with the Air 2S and the Mini 2 , i expect a completely different result for the better, what do you think ?

I am going to do the Same test with the Air 2S and the Mini 2 , i expect a completely different result for the better, what do you think ?
If the many complaints about poor GPS reception for the M3 are anything to go by ...
Of course I'd expect the earlier models to work just fine.

I'm not sure what you think you are testing.
It's common knowledge that something's not right with what DJI have done with the M3's GPS system.

I haven't tested it by looking on a watch but my M2Z gets the GPS fix faster than the M3 does. With the Mini 2 I'm not sure but I don't think it needs more time than the M3.
I hope they can fix something with a new firmware, I remember some smartphones had the same problems and got fixed by firmware updates.
If the weather gets better here I will try to measure the time for a GPS fix for all 3 drones sitting on the same spot.

Like @Meta4 said there is an issue with the new Constellation Satellite they are using, I am just working around how to deal with it , and if its really going to ground me. My M2Z also is very fast catching Home Point. But I would still love to see that video.

The air 2s supports GPS+GLONASS+Galileo and the Mavic 3 supports GPS + Galileo + BeiDou.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain . Land on the Water.

Last edited:
The fact that DJI apparently does not have the GLONASS license for the M3 is killing them.

Tick Tock , Will I let it go, I feel the toll of the Church bell coming on the 26 th , for those that saw the Movie Silent Hill. 🤪

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 out the window in the Rain / Snow
Hey Coal:

Sounds to me like you are still not really sure about keeping the M3??? As you know from my posts, I am still on the fence. When you mention your 'workarounds" I am thinking to myself, I am not as smart as he is about drones, and wouldn't know a workaround if it hit me in the face.

Still hemming, and hawing about M3 purchase. Maybe, when I see more firmeware posts in the forum, I'll take the plunge.

Dale
Miami (Where we don't have fast or slow motion snow)

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Well... now that you mention that. Is not a bad idea to return the M3 and buy it once DJI fixes the issues and gives us the Panos, 120FPS Slow motion, Quickshots, Waypoints, LTE connectivity as they promise. Then will not be just a drone with a semi-fancy camera.

Well... now that you mention that. Is not a bad idea to return the M3 and buy it once DJI fixes the issues and gives us the Panos, 120FPS Slow motion, Quickshots, Waypoints, LTE connectivity as they promise. Then will not be just a drone with a semi-fancy camera.
Zeusfl

Factory installed is always better than 3rd party add on.Don't know that I would really return an already existent M3 but if I hadn't yet ordered one (M3) I can afford to sit back and wait, still enjoying my M2P.

Dale

There is not a license for any GNSS, receiving and using the signals is free.

The cost involved is the hardware (chipset) that decodes and processes the GNSS signals. It seems that DJI has used a different chipset (maybe smaller and lighter weight - but most likely less expensive!) on the M3 which is not performing well, or their code that interfaces with the new chipset is not optimized for it.

The fact that DJI apparently does not have the GLONASS license for the M3 is killing them.

Reactions: Meta4
It seems that DJI has used a different chipset (maybe smaller and lighter weight - but most likely less expensive!) on the M3 which is not performing well, or their code that interfaces with the new chipset is not optimized for it.
The common complaint from users is that GPS worked normally but the first firmware update made things bad.

Totally agree with this! Should they decide to rethink this and add GLONASS, I would think it’s a firmware update only. Please rethink this DJI. Paying a premium price should cover your additional licensing,,,

Totally agree with this! Should they decide to rethink this and add GLONASS, I would think it’s a firmware update only. Please rethink this DJI. Paying a premium price should cover your additional licensing,,,
There is no licensing for this to be an issue.
But the Mavic 3 uses three different satellite systems receiving data from the US GPS system, the European Galileo system and the Chinese Beidou system.
Not having Glonass shouldn't make any practical difference.

There is no licensing for this to be an issue.
But the Mavic 3 uses three different satellite systems receiving data from the US GPS system, the European Galileo system and the Chinese Beidou system.
Not having Glonass shouldn't make any practical difference.
For the uninformed of us, I looked this up-here is a screen grab Apparently, GPS is better

Dale
Miami
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.26.37 PM.png

For the uninformed of us, I looked this up-here is a screen grab Apparently, GPS is better
For all intents and purposes, it's just as good.
But all DJI drones since the Phantom 3 Standard in 2015 have used multiple satellite constellations anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet