DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Native ISO

ianwood

Reactions
Site
sillygoo.se
The Cine version comes with an impressive assortment of ND filters all the way up to 512. As someone who does a bunch of hyperlapse where your shutter can be open for 1/2 second, this is great! But I can't believe DJI was thinking only about hyperlapse when they decided to give us a 64, 128, 256 and 512 ND.

I also see posts from people complaining that you cannot shoot DLOG at ISO 100 or 200. On the Inspire 2, they locked ISO to the native ISO when shooting in EI mode. Reason being is that ISO doesn't really change the actual sensitivity of the sensor. It just adds/subtracts gain. As such, the native ISO ought to provide the cleanest and widest dynamic range.

DJI has historically not implemented ISO gain terribly well. There ought to be an advantage to shoot at native ISO where possible, DLOG or not. Unfortunately, DJI has not yet provided any information regarding native ISO that I am aware of.

Attaching an ISO chart from the Sigma fp which is a full-frame sensor dual-native ISO of 800 and 3200.

Attachments

• dynamic-range-chart.jpg
    dynamic-range-chart.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: sar104 and dirkclod
OT. But glad ya back taco 😀👍👍

Reactions: sar104 and ianwood
The Cine version comes with an impressive assortment of ND filters all the way up to 512. As someone who does a bunch of hyperlapse where your shutter can be open for 1/2 second, this is great! But I can't believe DJI was thinking only about hyperlapse when they decided to give us a 64, 128, 256 and 512 ND.
Long exposures too.
I also see posts from people complaining that you cannot shoot DLOG at ISO 100 or 200. On the Inspire 2, they locked ISO to the native ISO when shooting in EI mode. Reason being is that ISO doesn't really change the actual sensitivity of the sensor. It just adds/subtracts gain. As such, the native ISO ought to provide the cleanest and widest dynamic range.
That’s true of any sensor, ISO just changes gain not the sensitivity of the sensor.
DJI has historically not implemented ISO gain terribly well. There ought to be an advantage to shoot at native ISO where possible, DLOG or not. Unfortunately, DJI has not yet provided any information regarding native ISO that I am aware of.
The native iso for Dlog is ISO 400.
Attaching an ISO chart from the Sigma fp which is a full-frame sensor dual-native ISO of 800 and 3200.
The native ISO on the FP is ISO 100 and has a second circuit that kicks in at ISO 3200. It’s best to think of this as high and low gain circuits. Using anything but ISO 100 and ISO 3200 is applying additional gain to the image.

The high gain circuit is more powerful mind you so it’s still adding more gain but not additional gain. Think of it like this. If you plug in your guitar into a small amp and turn up the volume all the way the sound will become distorted because the small amplifier has boosted the signal more than it can really handle. Plug the same guitar into a huge concert amplifier and the sound will be much louder even at a lower gain on the amp. It’s amplified the signal much more than the little amp but you still get clean sound. ISO is kind of like the absolute volume of the music. The concert amp has a higher “ISO” value but still sounds clean because the additional gain is low. So ISO and gain are related but not exactly the same thing. Hopefully this analogy makes some kind of sense?

Last edited:
Ian, I had hoped the native ISO was 200. Since it's not even an option currently I'm guessing it's 400. As you might recall, the I2 also went through some growing pains in regard to ISO settings. At one time we were locked at 500 when recording PR D-Log. Thankfully they changed that and gave us the 100/200/400/800/etc options we have now. I'm hoping the same will be true with the M3C. I'd like to see 100/200/400/800 for the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas