DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NBC News - Drone “threat” -- *Media Hype*

Are you talking about Gatwick again? Where on earth did you dredge up that gem from? There's a good reason that hasn't been widely reported - it's not what happened.
What did happen? I never heard the final determination

My outlook on this is what many of us fear! More regulations!
As the OP states in his title, Media Hype! The media sucking on some debate about whether UAV's are a threat or not!
Everything in that video, members have known for several months! What's new?

What did happen? I never heard the final determination

The investigation is still going on. Last information released was that they had concluded that it was likely carried out by someone with inside knowledge of airport operations, although I'm not clear why just monitoring Gatwick tower would not have provided enough information.

I think Healthy discussion free of ridicule is worth protecting on this topic. We must all surely be aware that misuse of remote controlled copters has the potential to result in draconian regulations - in other words, a few will spoil it for the majority. Our hobby/professional activity needs the credibility of an umbrella organisation that will be consulted by authorities - one can only hope and perhaps even push for recognition through aviation circles.

I for one do believe in conspiracies, they do happen - just not as often as some people (like to) imagine. I would love to know what happened at Gatwick because there followed a whole lot of unsubstantiated reports around the world of other "drone incidents". Many in positions of authority, I believe, would love to severely restrict or even ban remote aerial craft. We need the wisdom and the courage to confront both draconian authorities and the fools who tarnish our reputation as a group.

Reactions: ChuckNorrisUSAF
how many push-ups can you do buddy? chucknorris can do all of them .
sorry guys I could not help myself. had to throw that one in here when I saw the user ChuckNorrisUSAF on here.

• Haha
Reactions: ChuckNorrisUSAF
The investigation is still going on. Last information released was that they had concluded that it was likely carried out by someone with inside knowledge of airport operations, although I'm not clear why just monitoring Gatwick tower would not have provided enough information.
Carried out flying a drone?
Why no images of the drone?

how many push-ups can you do buddy? chucknorris can do all of them .
sorry guys I could not help myself. had to throw that one in here when I saw the user ChuckNorrisUSAF on here.

Attachments

• 29d49d7ae420eb2171bddb0b936d980b.jpg
    29d49d7ae420eb2171bddb0b936d980b.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Sniperfritz
True - one of the recent FAA regulatory boards did not invite the AMA or other hobbyist entities.
I don't know about you, but I have actually been prevented from flying by the geofencing on my Mavic Air. Three weeks ago I was visiting in the Fort Walton Beach area (Panhandle of Florida) in the town of Destin,Florida. I was on private property which backs up to the Gulf of Mexico When I attempted to take off to photograph the spectacular ante-bellum mansion I was staying at, the motors would simply not turn on!!! I only was planning to go up about 30-40 feet but the motors were totally disabled and the bird would not take off. Then I realized I was in the glide path of a major Air Base and Airport. I am actually thankful for the warning so I didn't inadvertently have a disaster on my hands. So, so far, I am ok with the geo-fencing upgrades.

Went to the DJI Photgraphy Academy in January.
That is what Randy Jay Braun said that happened.
With his rep, I would believe him before Lester.
I would believe in wino with a 6.00 alcohol level before I believe Lester

You really need to expand your sourcing of news. Blindly believing something someone told you rather than checking multiple news reports and original sources is a recipe for coming to conclusions that are completely at odds with established facts and documented statements, and just because it's currently an endemic disorder in the US doesn't make it any better.
Very well said. 40% of the nation would do well to heed your words.

Reactions: Wilbur and sar104
I recall flying out in the San Francisco Bay area last fall and during a preflight weather briefing, the briefer flat out told me "Be advised: Multiple UAS activity at or below 400 ft AGL."

As long as it’s in a permissible airspace, ‘at or below 400’ is surely good to hear.
Hopefully not in the flight paths etc.

Now taken by a media now run as for profit by the corporate entities which own it, this quickly leads to sensationalism.

So now its drones - DRONES

The anti drone tech companies have a lot of money invested in assisting the increasing paranoia.
Govcos worldwide would certainly have sections that would love to see a lot more control over drones too.

It will be hard to combat the way the media loves grabbing hold of anything to grab the public’s attention or fears.

Like I said, I would rather believe Randy than the blatantly biased hate news on our hobby.
Remember:
View attachment 71642
With experience as an ex-helicopter pilot (1), ex-balloon pilot (2) and (3) ex-airline pilot and now a drone pilot. 1 and 2 possibly able to spot a drone but 3 extremely unlikely at the speeds airline travel. The most likely encounter would be near an airport landing where there is a high workload. There are, however, no-fly zones around major airports so unless someone hacked the software unlikely.
I posted this on another thread

<<Recently London Gatwick Airport (LGW) was closed over an alleged drone incident. One worker on leaving the LGW airport reported seeing a drone. LGW was closed and all flights diverted or grounded causing much inconvenience to thousands and considerable expense. Police became involved and put up their own drones adding to the confusion. Police eventually arrested a completely innocent drone owner which was widely covered by the news services and newspapers. The drone owner and his wife were completely innocent and suffered major trauma from the handling of them by the police and news media. They were released without charge having been held for at least one night in police cells. Eventually, LGW called in the military with their anti-drone equipment. Drone enthusiasts (a long way away up north in Yorkshire) were interviewed by the media and told them it would have been impossible for any reasonably large drone (other than a small toy) to fly near an airport due to the software preventing it. Anyone over-riding the software would need a lot of software knowledge to do so. Despite much investigation, it has not been possible to prove there was a drone. No-one else, to my knowledge, has been arrested in connection with the 'incident'. There was footage of a drone shown on the media but no proof of time or date to show it related to the 'actual incident'. The police theory is there was someone in the airport who was relaying information on airport authorities actions to another person(s) that flew the drone. The one good thing that came out of this is the authorities are now well aware that they are not at all prepared for any possible terrorist attack near airports using drones. I relate this so all drone users are aware of how incredibly sensitive people are to drones and we should do our utmost to protect our hobby against any unnecessary draconian measures to prevent our flights. Commercial aviation is international so all of us could be affected wherever the drone flying may occur. Enjoy your drone flying!>>

Lester Holt routinely hypes the news. They even bring in someone with a British accent to make it more dramatic.
Funny how they never reported what the final issue was with the airports shutting down around Christmas in Europe. It wasn't drones...it was crane lights in the fog. Main testimony they went on for that theory "The lights hovered over there for hours."
Lester Holt routinely hypes the news. They even bring in someone with a British accent to make it more dramatic.
Funny how they never reported what the final issue was with the airports shutting down around Christmas in Europe. It wasn't drones...it was crane lights in the fog. Main testimony they went on for that theory "The lights hovered over there for hours."
Where did you get that idea from <<crane lights in the fog>>?. I watched live BBC reports during that period and no mention was ever made of fog and the outside film units filming was clear with no sign of reduced visibility. So, I believe that idea highly unlikely. I flew into LGW in February and saw no sign of building activity near the airport which would be using cranes

As a pilot and flight instructor myself I can tell you that it is true that sUAS are ever increasing in prevalence - so much so that I recall flying out in the San Francisco Bay area last fall and during a preflight weather briefing, the briefer flat out told me "Be advised: Multiple UAS activity at or below 400 ft AGL." They are being flown out there and all over the place.
I'm wondering where the reports of UAV activity came from in the Bay area. Pilot reports or other sources? How reliable are those?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga