DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters - worth it for bright conditions?

Reactions
Off to Spain for 4 months so will be doing a lot of filming on bright days/over the ocean etc. Is it worth investing in some ND filters? I've seen a lot about how they help with motion blur but that's not something I'm too concerned about as I'll be filming more scenic settings rather than moving objects except the odd speed boat when one goes past.

As you say, ND is mainly for motion blur which isn't really needed for landscapes. Some Polarising filters may be needed though to cut down the glare from the water

It's not so much for objects going past you, but for the drone itself flying (which means in a relative sense everything is going past you).

In my opinion, yes, they are a must. Made a huge difference for me for everything I shot in sunny conditions. At a minimum I would buy some, get some experience with them before you go, and worst case put them up for sale if you just don't need them. Maybe even find some used ones to start with.

Well, that's for video anyhow. If you really just go up in the air and take pictures, never video. If it's only pictures then agreed you don't really need them, save a single polarized filter perhaps.

It's not so much for objects going past you, but for the drone itself flying (which means in a relative sense everything is going past you).

In my opinion, yes, they are a must. Made a huge difference for me for everything I shot in sunny conditions. At a minimum I would buy some, get some experience with them before you go, and worst case put them up for sale if you just don't need them. Maybe even find some used ones to start with.

Well, that's for video anyhow. If you really just go up in the air and take pictures, never video. If it's only pictures then agreed you don't really need them, save a single polarized filter perhaps.
Thanks, I think I'll buy a set, think it's more the polarizing ones I'm going to need. Would rather have them with me rather than wishing I did. Like you said, if I don't need them I can sell then on.

Definitely recommended. The motion recorded when the drone is moving while recording will look smoother and more cinematic (for example, when you are flying forwards, backwards, sideways, or panning with yaw). The polarizing ones will help specifically when shooting subjects with water or reflections, but note that they can cause problems when shooting panoramas (blotches of dark spots). I use an ND32 or ND64 most of the time when shooting in very bright conditions, but will sometimes use the PL version depending on my subject matter. If I'm not using an ND filter, then I use a UV filter just to protect the actual camera lens.

Reactions: Newbie_air_pilot
When you do use them, keep the ratio in mind of roughly 2:1 shutter speed vs. fps.

i.e. 1/60th for 30fps, 1/50th for 24fps, this is a good spot for smooth footage. You may need to change filters to get to this and experiment with ND8, ND16, sometimes even ND32 to get to this ratio.

If your ratio is way off then the footage can be choppy.

Reactions: Newbie_air_pilot
Ya they essential. You can tell. I have a six pack of polar pros. 3 polarized and 3 reg NDs

Polar pro have an app that does the calculations for you and it’s free and now covers the mavic air. It’s a fairly decent app aswell

Hey guys what is the name of this polar pro app? I'm new to drones, I purchased a set of polar pro ND and Polarized filters recently for my MA.

Hey guys what is the name of this polar pro app? I'm new to drones, I purchased a set of polar pro ND and Polarized filters recently for my MA.
as soon as you start to type polar in the app store it pops up.

Reactions: KingEddy
As you say, ND is mainly for motion blur which isn't really needed for landscapes. Some Polarising filters may be needed though to cut down the glare from the water
You still get problems with the fast shutter speed in bright sunlight, capturing the shadow of the prop blades, which also can cause flickering, even when just hovering.

I recently bought a set of filters for my air but haven't used them yet. I do have a set for my phantom 3 and you definitly need them on bright sunny days. They make a huge difference when it's bright or if your flying over alot of things that give reflections. I used the 8,16 and 32 the most.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002