DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters

Dude, there was literally a video a few posts ago that discusses filters and demonstrate how you install them.
My video above also shows how to remove and replace.....
Cheers, Ian

Nice review, Mr. Ian. I think most around here will find it useful. Regarding polarized filters, I’m coming to the conclusion that they are most useful for still photography or video with a known filming angle. But for folks like me that just fly about at multiple angles w/r to the sun, perhaps the ND will serve our purposes.

One exception I can think of is when filming whales in the ocean; then I think reducing the horizontal reflective glare of the sun would be most useful. In which case, having them mounted in a fixed position for horizontal glare, like the Skyreat polarized filters, is what is needed. But for the record, I’m not an expert in this area...I just pretend to be ;)

Again, thanks for taking the time to post a YT review. I always find your reviews helpful.

Ray Jay
Thanks Ray Jay
I agree; for me, PLs are only useful over water when you're trying to reduce glare and reflection.
cheers for the good words Thumbswayup
Ian

I'm seeing a multiple variations of these filters for the M2 - first, regular rectangular ones and then ones that have an extra ring that probably rotates for some reason. What's the difference?

Also, some have a PL, some are cinematic, standard...I can't seem to find good descriptions of what these variations are. Help me, good people, please.

I'm seeing a multiple variations of these filters for the M2 - first, regular rectangular ones and then ones that have an extra ring that probably rotates for some reason. What's the difference?

Also, some have a PL, some are cinematic, standard...I can't seem to find good descriptions of what these variations are. Help me, good people, please.
There are two types of filters, ND and ND/CPL.

ND - Neutral density filter blocks out light and lets you shoot at slower speeds with a wider aperture (generally for mavic 2 below f/4, 5) and a slower shutter speed. It does not change (should not) change how the image looks.

CPL - Think of light as waves, and the CPL is like a picket fence, it only allows waves of 1 direction to enter the lens - cutting down on reflection, making the sky a deeper blue. Check this out: What is a Circular Polarizing Filter (CPL) and How to Use it

The two versions of CPL for mavic are the ones that rotate (with the circular ring) and the ones that don't. The ones that don't are fixed at 90 degrees or at a specific angle and the ones that rotate allow you to adjust them. Take a look here: Understanding & Using Polarizing Filters

I findl inear polarizing filters (non-circular) perfectly fine for buzzing around and shooting on the fly. I have rotating CPLs for my P4 and leave them set at vertical. Here’s my M2P with and without @Skyreat ND16 linear PL.

422D97F3-9B0D-450B-99CB-C67B8A44DE1C.jpeg

Last edited:
[edit] thanks for those comparisons Chopstix Kid. :) [/edit]

i don't know that much about photography (yet), but the rotational polarized ones seem like they would come in handy if say you had a building to your side and wanted to decrease the the sun glare on the windows. please correct me if i'm mistaken.

i'll leave myself open to the idea of CPL for now. i think for me, i would mostly be using polarized filters for water shots.
now... if i could rotate them from my remote, sign me up. ;)

/max

[edit] thanks for those comparisons Chopstix Kid. :) [/edit]

i don't know that much about photography (yet), but the rotational polarized ones seem like they would come in handy if say you had a building to your side and wanted to decrease the the sun glare on the windows. please correct me if i'm mistaken.

i'll leave myself open to the idea of CPL for now. i think for me, i would mostly be using polarized filters for water shots.
now... if i could rotate them from my remote, sign me up. ;)

/max

You are correct. If you want to remove glare off of Windows you rotate the filter. So in that case, you would want the rotating CPL. I’m with you though, If you could rotate them remotely, I’d be all over it.

Last edited:
I find linear polarizing filters (non-circular) perfectly fine for buzzing around and shooting on the fly. I have CPLs for my P4 and leave them set at vertical. Here’s my M2P with and without @Skyreat ND16 linear PL.

View attachment 46671

Excellent example showing the benefits of polarized filters over water! I was about to ask the difference between circular and linear (non-circular) filters when I decided to do my due diligence and go to the Google.

Apparently, linear polarized filters mess with the auto focus on DSLR cameras, while circular filters do not. So, for the purposes of the M2, it doesn’t matter which you use.

Is there anything the Google can’t do?

Ray Jay

Excellent example showing the benefits of polarized filters over water! I was about to ask the difference between circular and linear (non-circular) filters when I decided to do my due diligence and go to the Google.

Apparently, linear polarized filters mess with the auto focus on DSLR cameras, while circular filters do not. So, for the purposes of the M2, it doesn’t matter which you use.

Is there anything the Google can’t do?

Ray Jay

Linear filters could mess with the auto metering and auto focus of the M2. I still researching/experimenting with it.

There are two types of filters, ND and ND/CPL.

ND - Neutral density filter blocks out light and lets you shoot at slower speeds with a wider aperture (generally for mavic 2 below f/4, 5) and a slower shutter speed. It does not change (should not) change how the image looks.

CPL - Think of light as waves, and the CPL is like a picket fence, it only allows waves of 1 direction to enter the lens - cutting down on reflection, making the sky a deeper blue. Check this out: What is a Circular Polarizing Filter (CPL) and How to Use it

The two versions of CPL for mavic are the ones that rotate (with the circular ring) and the ones that don't. The ones that don't are fixed at 90 degrees or at a specific angle and the ones that rotate allow you to adjust them. Take a look here: Understanding & Using Polarizing Filters

Thank you. Those links are especially helpful!

Dude, there was literally a video a few posts ago that discusses filters and demonstrate how you install them.
That's good to know. Glad you saw it . I did not.
I was replying to a reply to a reply.
Watching it now...
Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb