DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters

Do these filters slip on top of the original lens or do you remove the original and replace with a filter? Sorry, never used filters before.

Last edited:
Correct. But unless you're flying close to and fast to objects you dont NEED those slow shutters. You only get stuttering if theres a lot of movement between frames. So unless you're close and fast it isnt the end of the world if you shoot faster shutters.
Shooting over moving water = a lot of fast movement.

On the M2Pro, the “hasselblad” lens unclips with a twist and is replaced with the filter

It's really a much better design. It's less likely to add enough weight to mess with the calibration of the gimbal since you're replacing a similar existing filter.

I have to say that was a good design choice on their part.

What? How?!?
Ahhh... just read this "Polarization indicator laser etched onto frame to easily align your polarizer".
That's cool. I guess in theory I could run a test flight, then give it a 45 degree or so turn and see which I liked better given current reflected light.

I was happy with my ND16-PL PolarPro I had for the Mavic, so I pre-ordered the same for the M2Z.
Good point (above) though, that we'll need less light filtering with the adjustable aperture on the M2Z. Maybe I should have ordered the ND4 or ND8 PL...

FYI, just verified with PP support that their CP and ND-PL will be able to be rotated after mounting to the camera.

On the M2Pro, the “hasselblad” lens unclips with a twist and is replaced with the filter
Doh! I did not know that.
Not crazy about having to take off the outer camera lens every time I want to put the filter on. Seems it's an opportunity to let in dust and moisture. Ugh. I can see where it is better optically, but still...

It's not a lens, it's a filter. It's meant to come off.

If you fly into a bunch of bugs or dust or a bird takes a dump on your camera, it will protect the lens and you can easily remove and clean it.

It's really quite a good thing. Heck.... you can replace it if need be. Try doing that with the front element of the MP.

Last edited:
It's not a lens, it's a filter. It's meant to come off.

If you fly into a bunch of bugs or dust or a bird takes a dump on your camera, it will protect the lens and you can easily remove and clean it.

It's really quite a good thing. Heck.... you can replace it if need be. Try doing that with the front element of the MP.
In the interest of not breaking things that are not already broked :) how do you get it off?

I just tried to gingerly pry a nail under it, twist it or push it. It didn't budge. Didn't want to force anything, though.

In the interest of not breaking things that are not already broked :) how do you get it off?

I just tried to gingerly pry a nail under it, twist it or push it. It didn't budge. Didn't want to force anything, though.

Grab the camera in one hand, press on the filter with the other hand, twist counter clockwise.

Reactions: KiterTodd
I searched everywhere for ND filters as need them before I leave town tomorrow. I live in Costa Mesa near Polar Pro and they didn't have any to sell me. I searched online and no one had them, but then I found the FstopLabs NDs on Amazon and they were in stock. I ordered them on Amazon and they showed up today, just in time before I leave town. The quality looks great. If anyone needs NDs for the M2P, I suggest you take a look at these as they are less expensive but the same quality. Search Amazon for FstopLabs ND Mavic 2 Pro

a well made, informative video about ND filters on the Mavic 2 Pro by Ikopta.

anyone that has fished with, and without polarized sunglasses know it's a game changer with water surfaces.
also when there is a lot of glass in the shot.

i like the flexibility ND filters add for exposure settings. why limit yourself? they will pay for themselves on a single job for me.

when i get my Mavic pro i'm getting the SKYREAT 6 pack. looks like a great value.
SKYREAT Mavic 2 Lens ND Filters Set Compatible for DJI Mavic 2 Pro Filter 6-Pack (ND4, ND8, ND16, ND4PL, ND8PL, ND16PL)
if i feel the need to go darker, i'll grab the ND32, ND64, ND32PL, ND64PL set.

cheers

a well made, informative video about ND filters on the Mavic 2 Pro by Ikopta.

anyone that has fished with, and without polarized sunglasses know it's a game changer with water surfaces.
also when there is a lot of glass in the shot.

i like the flexibility ND filters add for exposure settings. why limit yourself? they will pay for themselves on a single job for me.

when i get my Mavic pro i'm getting the SKYREAT 6 pack. looks like a great value.
SKYREAT Mavic 2 Lens ND Filters Set Compatible for DJI Mavic 2 Pro Filter 6-Pack (ND4, ND8, ND16, ND4PL, ND8PL, ND16PL)
if i feel the need to go darker, i'll grab the ND32, ND64, ND32PL, ND64PL set.

cheers
If shooting over water, rotating CPL's may give some flexibility as well! Would you like to try ours:

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Pro-Pa...8&sr=8-9&keywords=dji+mavic+2+pro+lens+filter

A CPL is only useful if rotated to the exact angle required before flight AND the drone is used at only that angle in flight.
They're good for stills with a known, planned shot but limited elsewhere.
If you do a panorama or 360 with them expect the sky to look awful.

A CPL is only useful if rotated to the exact angle required before flight AND the drone is used at only that angle in flight.
They're good for stills with a known, planned shot but limited elsewhere.
If you do a panorama or 360 with them expect the sky to look awful.
This is the draw back with the Skyreat PL filters; there's no way to rotate them, so TBH, I only see the main NDs as useful.
Gnirt, thanks for your thoughts and knowledge on this area; helped me make this small review on them: Have a look and see what you think of them.
Cheers
Ian

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Nice review, Mr. Ian. I think most around here will find it useful. Regarding polarized filters, I’m coming to the conclusion that they are most useful for still photography or video with a known filming angle. But for folks like me that just fly about at multiple angles w/r to the sun, perhaps the ND will serve our purposes.

One exception I can think of is when filming whales in the ocean; then I think reducing the horizontal reflective glare of the sun would be most useful. In which case, having them mounted in a fixed position for horizontal glare, like the Skyreat polarized filters, is what is needed. But for the record, I’m not an expert in this area...I just pretend to be ;)

Again, thanks for taking the time to post a YT review. I always find your reviews helpful.

Ray Jay

Actually one really useful mode for video thats new people aren't really talking about is the shutter priority mode.

Now like a real camera it allows you to lock specific parts of the exposure triangle.

Given the M2 seems relatively well sharp over several apertures and DOF isnt going to change its now viable to film in shutter priority mode.

Keep the shutter locked at 1/60th or whatever you want and allow the drone to adjust the ISO and/or aperture on the fly to maintain the correct exposure in that mode. Very handy for scenes where the light level changes such as turning or gimbal pans.

Nobody really seems to be discussing the new camera modes on the pro - there are some very useful changes in the app.

Yea, I've been playing with the A mode and the S mode quite a bit. Very handy indeed.

I do disagree on filters as I have used a ND64 quite a bit on the Mavic and that is 5 stops. I do agree that one ND4 and maybe a ND8 would just about cover any daytime situation. With the adjustable aperture you'd have a nice range to play with.

Dude, there was literally a video a few posts ago that discusses filters and demonstrate how you install them.

This is the draw back with the Skyreat PL filters; there's no way to rotate them, so TBH, I only see the main NDs as useful.
Gnirt, thanks for your thoughts and knowledge on this area; helped me make this small review on them: Have a look and see what you think of them.
Cheers
Ian

Thank you Ian, It's great video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian in London
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member