DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Near misses...

maelstrom

Reactions
For those who don't think there is any credible data about near misses with aircraft, this was an interesting article in The Daily Telegraph newspaper in the UK on 6 Jan 22:

"Drone and plane near-misses on the rise.

Hundreds of drone flights may be entering local airports’ airspace undetected, say researchers, as the number of near-misses has increased. Drone Defence scanners placed near Blackpool airport detected 1,051 drone flights over six months last summer, with up to 90 per cent in potential breach of a three-mile restricted zone. National figures show that nearmisses are increasing by more than 30 per cent a year, with 125 recorded in 2018, up from just 29 in 2015. Blackpool airport said any requested drone flights were rigorously assessed and coordinated with air traffic control to keep them away from flights."

Are these Drone Defence scanners capable of 'catching' these rouge drone operators ?
Not much chop if they can't, the disruptions would still be a headache, stopping flights while something is around.

It'd be nice if news services could give the whole story and do a bit of investigative journalism.

Reactions: ericole
How do drone defense scanners work? Do they have any possibility of misidentifying something as a drone? Or in other words, do they have any way of confirming that what they are detecting IS in fact a drone?

Reactions: frank candor
For those who don't think there is any credible data about near misses with aircraft, this was an interesting article in The Daily Telegraph newspaper in the UK on 6 Jan 22:

"Drone and plane near-misses on the rise.

Hundreds of drone flights may be entering local airports’ airspace undetected, say researchers, as the number of near-misses has increased. Drone Defence scanners placed near Blackpool airport detected 1,051 drone flights over six months last summer, with up to 90 per cent in potential breach of a three-mile restricted zone. National figures show that nearmisses are increasing by more than 30 per cent a year, with 125 recorded in 2018, up from just 29 in 2015. Blackpool airport said any requested drone flights were rigorously assessed and coordinated with air traffic control to keep them away from flights."
Why are there flights near airports anyway ? Just seems very irresponsible to begin with.

Why are there flights near airports anyway ? Just seems very irresponsible to begin with.
There are reasons for flights near airports, but the difference is authorized flight and those that are not.

Those that are unauthorized are a big problem and need corrective action.

I am a recreational pilot and have flown in controlled airspace, but it was with LAANC approval and within the height restrictions at the site I was flying at.

The UK has similar rules to the US, and if they are followed there are no issues with flight near airports.

Reactions: EtheB
Good morning to all-
Anyone who flies a drone near an airport or anywhere else that puts the drone in close proximity to piloted aircraft is not doing that through ignorance. There is a certain level of individual in all activities- drones, auto driving, hunting, fishing, whatever- that does things to cause trouble for others and to gain attention- and often these actions are done to cause harm to others.
You can't keep these "people" from exercising their rights until they really hurt someone else, and then it's too late for correction.

I fly my drones BVLOS sometimes, but I fly only in areas where if a piloted aircraft encounters my drone, then that plane is crashing already.

But these jerks who fly near airports- they're not being ignorant of the rules- they're breaking the rules on purpose.

good day to all- Ed

I would never endanger my expensive drones in any way, if it can be avoided. That includes hazardous BVLOS flights inside airports (really?).

Good morning to all-
Anyone who flies a drone near an airport or anywhere else that puts the drone in close proximity to piloted aircraft is not doing that through ignorance. There is a certain level of individual in all activities- drones, auto driving, hunting, fishing, whatever- that does things to cause trouble for others and to gain attention- and often these actions are done to cause harm to others.
You can't keep these "people" from exercising their rights until they really hurt someone else, and then it's too late for correction.

I fly my drones BVLOS sometimes, but I fly only in areas where if a piloted aircraft encounters my drone, then that plane is crashing already.

But these jerks who fly near airports- they're not being ignorant of the rules- they're breaking the rules on purpose.

good day to all- Ed
I assume you are referring to those that are flying in controlled airspace without clearance as being the jerks.

Those that do so with the proper clearance and staying within the parameters of that clearance should not be a problem.

I take it that your confessed BVLOS are below treetop level and not over open fields in sparsely populated areas where aircraft are allowed to fly below 500’ AGL.

I have trouble understanding people that browbeat others for breaking rules and then admit to breaking similar rules themselves because they know what they are doing.

Good evening to all-

DoomMeister- the jerks I am referring to are the jerks who fly drones into airport space in order to create chaos and disrupt travel for hundreds of people.

And you can take my "confessed BVLOS" any way you want.

And I am not browbeating anyone. I am calling people jerks who use drones to disrupt other peoples' lives by flying into airport space. I am calling a jerk a jerk. And I have to restrain myself in order to use the term "jerk". I can think of several more accurate terms that would not be used in polite conversation.

And if you have trouble understanding what I'm saying and doing, then perhaps we should agree to disagree and let each go his own way.

good evening to all- Ed

At Air force bases near cities drones are EVERYWHERE!. Here at McChord AFB (JBLM) we had an an illegal encroachment the other day right next to the end of the airfield. Its not that people are nefarious, but I feel they just don't care or don't know.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
the jerks I am referring to are the jerks who fly drones into airport space in order to create chaos and disrupt travel for hundreds of people.

Ones that do this on purpose to disrupt are more criminal than jerks, I feel.

Along with this, the bigger problem is certainly those that simply don't know rules for drones in their country, and of course those that have some sort of sense / knowledge about where they are flying, but simply don't care.
The latter are the ones I'd call jerks.

I wouldn't call the uneducated jerks, maybe ignorant / lacking common sense . . . after all, who in their right minds thinks flying near an airport, in an aircraft flight path, etc, is a good idea ?

The best thing to happen in Australia for educating new drone owners was each and every consumer drone has (should have) and included leaflet from the MAAA (Model Aeronautical Assoc of Australia) advising there are rules, and where to get more info.

These are actually included inside many brand drone boxes somehow, think DJI is right up there in participating in that.

casa-Drone-info.png

Good evening to all-
MAvic_South_Oz- Yes. I stand corrected. Those individuals who disrupt airport operations with their drones should get to spend a good long time in the slammer. They are not jerks- they are criminals and should be treated as such.

Good on you, Mate.

Good night to all- Ed

Ed,

I do agree about those flying around airports illegally are wrong to do so, whether through ignorance of the rules or outright intent to disrupt and endanger aircraft and passengers. On that point we see eye to eye.

Where we disagree is in BVLOS flight before it is legal to do so. As my relatives from ‘bama would put it, “that is the pot calling the kettle black” (cast iron cookware - no racial connotations). On that point we can agree to disagree.

No harm, no foul.

I do a lot of jobs at some of the airports here in Indiana. Building inspections and insurance claims.

Reactions: DoomMeister
To me the wording in the article is contradictory/unclear: " Drone Defense scanners placed near Blackpool airport detected 1,051 drone flights over six months last summer, with up to 90 per cent in potential breach of a three-mile restricted zone."

Does that mean if an unauthorized drone is detected in a 3 mile radius of an airport it is now considered a near miss? Either give more info or give us a break. This to me is just more headline sensationalizing to discredit drone users.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of idiots out there doing dumb crap near airports, but this quote alone above, to me, does not support a "near miss".

At Air force bases near cities drones are EVERYWHERE!. Here at McChord AFB (JBLM) we had an an illegal encroachment the other day right next to the end of the airfield. Its not that people are nefarious, but I feel they just don't care or don't know.

Interesting, obviously it was not a DJI product or it would have been geofenced. Also curious (not doubting) was this a visual sighting or picked up electronically?

Are these Drone Defence scanners capable of 'catching' these rouge drone operators ?
Not much chop if they can't, the disruptions would still be a headache, stopping flights while something is around.

It'd be nice if news services could give the whole story and do a bit of investigative journalism.

I read it here or somewhere that there are gov’t entities in the USA who posses surveillance equipment that can take control of an unauthorized drone and land or crash it. If not true now, it may well happen. My guess is that after a fatal collision or two, drones will routinely be removed from the sky if they pose a risk to aircraft in controlled airspace. It might become the preferred solution. Tighter restrictions, more licensing, more manufacturing software safeguards. Okay by me. I’ll comply because I love to fly.

Surely a drone can’t get anywhere near the Whitehouse. I reakon there’s some sophisto anti-drone gear for negating that.

Interesting, obviously it was not a DJI product or it would have been geofenced. Also curious (not doubting) was this a visual sighting or picked up electronically?
Ya, it was a phantom 4. I still don't know how they did it. There's always ways around programing. I am still baffled at how they did it...flew it from Spanaway or something. You cant miss that White, boxed shaped drone. Maybe a knockoff or something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato