DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help. Flew into tall tree. Mavic 2 stuck!

Thanks AMann. There is not a service listed close to me.

I have converted the txt flight log thanks to msinger. I'll look at it on Google earth. Is there a better more precise way to locate the drone using the txt flight log?
By the way, I want to thank msinger. You are and have been an invaluable resource to the drone community for a long time! Thank you for your time and resources!
Good luck! And yes, msinger has helped many people here, a great asset to the community.

Got it!!
Here's the play by play...
I exported the data txt file, thanks to msinger, uploaded it to his site, downloaded a kmz file, imported it into Google Earth, pulled approx. measurements off of the street and other objects to locate the drone in the tree. Went to the site looked around; my wife found it.
Drove to Walmart. Bought what I used to call a wrist rocket (sling shot), two one oz. fishing weights and a spool of 150lb test fishing line. Shot the weights tied to the fishing line @ 45' up over the branch, weights fell down to the ground, then I shook the heck out of the branch, Mavic dropped.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Got it!!
I exported the data txt file, thanks to msinger, uploaded it to his site, downloaded a kmz file, imported it into Google Earth, pulled approx. measurements off of the street and other objects to locate the drone in the tree. Went to the site looked around; my wife found it.
Drove to Walmart. Bought what I used to call a wrist rocket (sling shot), two one oz. fishing weights and a spool of 150lb test fishing line. Shot the weights tied to the fishing line @ 45' up over the branch, weights fell down to the ground, then I shook the heck out of the branch, Mavic dropped.

View attachment 75036
Congrats. Great ingenuity! Glad you got her back. Any damage you can see?

Reactions: Jet skier
Good job

Good deal man. I like the ingenuity. Didn't ask a couple buddies to play firemen and stand below with a blanket waiting to catch it? ;)

Either way, glad you got it back. Have you ops checked it yet?

Got it!!

View attachment 75036
Daniel versus the Mavic Pterodactyl! (g)

Hey Really sorry about your drone, I hope you manage to retrieve it and have a new one sent out.
I was just wondering how this accident happened given all the sensors? I have just bought a Mavic Zoom (still haven't flown it yet on the count of a faulty RC) because i have already killed 2 sparks, in the hopes that the extra sensors on the Mavic will prevent this from happening.

Thanks

Hey Really sorry about your drone, I hope you manage to retrieve it and have a new one sent out.
I was just wondering how this accident happened given all the sensors? I have just bought a Mavic Zoom (still haven't flown it yet on the count of a faulty RC) because i have already killed 2 sparks, in the hopes that the extra sensors on the Mavic will prevent this from happening.

Thanks
The side sensors don’t see much of anything especially small branches you cannot rely on the sensor is really for anything and the side sensors only work in tripod mode and beginner mode I believe

I’ve never done one those grappling hook drone recoveries. I’d be happy to help you, if only closer.

Last fall I also had lost my Phantom 4 Adv in a very high tree and could not see it from the ground. My friend flew his drone above the tree and was able to see the Phantom so we had some idea as to where it was from below. The next day I rented a 50' ladder from Home Depot and bought 6 pieces of plastic conduit (the kind that can be inserted together) and headed for the tree. After hiking several hundred feet into the woods with that LONG ladder we found the drone had blown down from the tree and broke it's gimbal. I still feel that we could have gotten it down tho by climbing the ladder and extending the conduit up the tree branches to the drone. May be worth a try anyway. Good Luck and believe me, I do know your pain!

Got it!!

That is awesome, glad you got it!
Looks to have no damage either.

Last edited:
you could always buy a cheaper drone and try to fish it out with a long nylon wire with a heavy hook on always have it to hand for next time
I love that idea I’m going to remember that for myself I have a spark and I think Bad could handle the job good enough

Any damage assessment yet? ? The battery seems fine but who knows with all the protection inside.

Using another lighter drone to fish hook a heavier one from a tree it’s already snared in, is how you end up losing two drones to the same tree...

Got it!!

View attachment 75036
OP posted he got the drone back some time ago.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer