DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need some DSLR advice please!

ac0j

Reactions
My wife just found my old pentax 35mm camera and lenses, and proudly told me she was going to learn photography. And marched off with it. LOL!
I refuse to buy film and processing, thats kind of why the camera was abandoned!
And she has loaded my NAS with crap from her phone camera.

I want to find a decent Digital model that still has interchangeable lenses. I dont want to spend a bunch, because I am not sure if this is going to actually pan out for her. But I dont want to limit her by getting her a junk camera.
If she stays with it, I'll step up on better equipment later.
Any suggestions, or things to avoid? Remember, I am not a photographer, and she just wants to try it.

Reactions: radman
I have been doing photography for over 40 years and digital photography since its inception. I bought a Canon SL1 for my wife a few years ago. It has been a great camera for her to learn on. The built in help system and touch screen on the back made it easy for her.
If you are on a budget, you could pick up a refurbished one from Canon or a good used one from KEH Camera. There is a newer model SL2 available now but at a higher cost.

Without a doubt this is one of the better beginner DSLR cameras for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-...F8&qid=1543269203&sr=8-20&keywords=dslr+canon

As her skills advance this DSLR will serve her well.
I would invest in some better glass than the included kit lens , but the lens is decent as an included lens.

Read the reviews that Amazon customers have left and its surprising at this price point how capable this DSLR camera is.

I considered this DSLR myself and then realized that I want a flip around screen so I can frame my shots while looking down at the camera. For that I am going with the Canon T3i

Reactions: charliesRig
My wife just found my old pentax 35mm camera and lenses, and proudly told me she was going to learn photography. And marched off with it. LOL!
I refuse to buy film and processing, thats kind of why the camera was abandoned!
And she has loaded my NAS with crap from her phone camera.

I want to find a decent Digital model that still has interchangeable lenses. I dont want to spend a bunch, because I am not sure if this is going to actually pan out for her. But I dont want to limit her by getting her a junk camera.
If she stays with it, I'll step up on better equipment later.
Any suggestions, or things to avoid? Remember, I am not a photographer, and she just wants to try it.

I have an Olympus Pen F with a 12mm lens to sell. PM me if interested.

Do you have a price range?
There is some new Canon models on sale for black friday around the $400 range, but I was thinking at looking at older models used. I figure most of the camera nuts are like Mavic nuts and buy the newest models upon release and have a pile of last years stuff laying around! :D There is a TON of used stuff on Facebook marketplace and Ebay, but its all foreign to me, so I just wanted some model numbers of suitable past models.
I have been doing photography for over 40 years and digital photography since its inception. I bought a Canon SL1 for my wife a few years ago. It has been a great camera for her to learn on. The built in help system and touch screen on the back made it easy for her.
If you are on a budget, you could pick up a refurbished one from Canon or a good used one from KEH Camera. There is a newer model SL2 available now but at a higher cost.
Thanks, I'll look into that one!
Without a doubt this is one of the better beginner DSLR cameras for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-...F8&qid=1543269203&sr=8-20&keywords=dslr+canon

As her skills advance this DSLR will serve her well.
I would invest in some better glass than the included kit lens , but the lens is decent as an included lens.

Read the reviews that Amazon customers have left and its surprising at this price point how capable this DSLR camera is.

I considered this DSLR myself and then realized that I want a flip around screen so I can frame my shots while looking down at the camera. For that I am going with the Canon T3i
HHmmmm, I bet she would like a flip around screen too.. ? I'll check it out too! Thanks!

Yes, The Flip screen is added to the Canon T3i and not the standard T3 so be careful of that distinction. The Flip screen will allow one to place the camera on a tripod either below or above the photographer and allow one to frame the image by rotating the screen to see what the lens see's.

The SL1 is a great option as well as it is super light in comparison to similary sized DSLR's.
The Rebel SL1 is approximately 25% smaller and 28% lighter than the Canon Rebel T5i -- which was introduced at the same time -- and the T4i before it, with the SL1 measuring 4.6 (w) x 3.6 (h) x 2.7 (d) inches (117 x 91 x 69 mm) and weighing just under 14.4 ounces (407g), with the battery and SD memory card installed

The SL1 DOES NOT have the articulated rear touchscreen though.

Yes, The Flip screen is added to the Canon T3i and not the standard T3 so be careful of that distinction. The Flip screen will allow one to place the camera on a tripod either below or above the photographer and allow one to frame the image by rotating the screen to see what the lens see's.

The SL1 is a great option as well as it is super light in comparison to similary sized DSLR's.
The Rebel SL1 is approximately 25% smaller and 28% lighter than the Canon Rebel T5i -- which was introduced at the same time -- and the T4i before it, with the SL1 measuring 4.6 (w) x 3.6 (h) x 2.7 (d) inches (117 x 91 x 69 mm) and weighing just under 14.4 ounces (407g), with the battery and SD memory card installed

The SL1 DOES NOT have the articulated rear touchscreen though.
There are a few t3i’s for sale used with extra lenses near me for around $250. I might have to check that out!

Thats a very reasonable price. Canon is no longer manufacturing that model so New Old Stock or used is the only way to get that model.

As it happens, I found a near new Canon Rebel T6, with 3 lenses and a bag for $275. I got it for her. It has WiFi built in for transfer to phones and social media easily. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kento1328