DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbor flying drone over my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, sorry to hear about your problem; it's people like your neighbour that are giving the responsible majority of us a bad name.

Night flying (if by "night" you mean after twilight) is prohibited under part 107 of the FAA regulations unless you have a waiver, and is now prohibited entirely for recreational flights. I'd try a friendly request first, just in case you have better luck than your wife, and be sure to mention Part 107 and waivers.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest getting some proof of night-flying and the proximity to your windows (e.g. mobile phone video) and take that to your local police along with a copy of a guide to the FAA regs. like this one for recreational flights and this one for Part 107 flights. Be sure to point out the bits in the guides about night flying and that he's probably committing a federal offence, and also the potential "peeping tom" angle. If they still won't act, you could escalate to the FAA and/or look into getting a restraining order of some kind, but you'll need to talk to a lawyer on the latter point.

Good luck, and hope you get this resolved soon.
Maybe you should only rely on information from the FAA website instead of some third party one with inaccurate information. Please back up your statement about night flying with a link from the FAA website. I’ll be waiting.

My understanding is that anywhere off the ground is fair game for flying, even over private property. However, as it was explained to me, Class G airspace, in a residential area, begins ABOVE the highest obstruction on the property. So for example, if the highest point of the property is the peak of the roof, then that becomes the lowest height AGL you are allowed to fly. If your neighbor is flying low enough to peer into windows, then I'm sure privacy and trespassing laws apply for which there are plenty of legal remedies.

Leave the guy alone. Simple. Forget it’s there no worries it’s not like it’s weaponized and If you’re worried about privacy google earth has you on watch 24/7 anybody can pay a yearly fee to see real time on google earth. Anything with siri, Alexa, cortona, is constantly listening to you and you to take that to the bathroom with you. So sick and tired and hearing “THE DRONE IS SPYING ON ME!!!! INVADING MY PRIVACIES!!!!!”

That’s because the member that stated that doesn’t know what they’re talking about!

I agree with that, and Im still trying to figure out how his wife saw the drone , looked out the windows and spotted him 1000 ft away and drove to his house for the screaming match, does not add up for me. Maybe if she had some binoculars, you know right ?

If this was a Next Door Neighbor it would have a different tone but 1000 ft .

So you demonstrate he/she was using the drone to look in your windows... How do you prove they were aroused or gratified? They might be horrified.
Legally, you don't have to prove that. If the drone was close enough to be able to see into the house (Title 18, §3505(a)(1) of PA law) or close enough to intimidate (Title 18, §3505(a)(2) ), then the OP has enough cause to go to the police. The drone operator screaming at the OP's wife could be considered assault.

Just remember we getting just one side of this. A consumer/prosumer drone isn't going to be able to see into house unless it's at window level and in the yard. Passing over, it's literally a case of "nothing to see here, move along". We also don't know how the wife approached the drone operator. She should have recorded her interaction for her own legal protection.

If I was @Crumm72, I would get an outside security camera. If the drone is really flying that low, having the video will help you with the police.

So you demonstrate he/she was using the drone to look in your windows... How do you prove they were aroused or gratified? They might be horrified.

I know, really! It’s weirdly written, almost as if by a peeping tom. And how does an officer investigate it to see if a crime was being committed under that statute?

If he is flying it low enough to to look in the windows. That’s a privacy thing. I’d call the police again and tell them he is a peeping tom. Also, if it’s really that low and in your backyard, you have every right to take it out. Hit it with a broom or throw a towel over it.
I would remind you that while what he is doing is wrong in every way possible. It is also very against the law to knock any Aircraft(which it is) out of the air. It’s bad but don’t make it that much worse and possibly have your wife calling from jail or you for that matter. If he’s aware of the law he could twist it to his own benefit. I say take the high road a lot and honestly I’d have a real hard time not doing it as well. Federal law is the law don’t get more wrapped up in his drama.
Good Luck and keep us informed. I would like to know if you are able to beat this guy at his game.

You know what the sad part is about all of this? This creep is probably a member of this forum and reading these posts. Hopefully that person will do the right thing and knock that crap off. It’s people like you...............well, you know the rest of that story.

This creep is probably a member of this forum and reading these posts.

With the number of DJI (and other makes of) drone operators out there, I think you'd have a better chance of winning lotto !!

If anyone thinks someone can fly hundreds of metres distance at night, down to an altitude and distance you could possibly see anything of voyeuristic value through windows, through all sorts of fine tree tops, wires, antenna, posts etc, and see these on their monitor device .. .. .. I have this REALLY nice bridge for sale on Sydney Harbour !!

You would have a hard time flying through the natural obstructions in my neighborhood. But there are plenty of newer neighborhoods where the developer knocks down every last tree to build. Those neighborhoods would be very easy to fly into.

Legally, you don't have to prove that. If the drone was close enough to be able to see into the house (Title 18, §3505(a)(1) of PA law) or close enough to intimidate (Title 18, §3505(a)(2) ), then the OP has enough cause to go to the police. The drone operator screaming at the OP's wife could be considered assault.

Just remember we getting just one side of this. A consumer/prosumer drone isn't going to be able to see into house unless it's at window level and in the yard. Passing over, it's literally a case of "nothing to see here, move along". We also don't know how the wife approached the drone operator. She should have recorded her interaction for her own legal protection.

If I was @Crumm72, I would get an outside security camera. If the drone is really flying that low, having the video will help you with the police.
I was simply suggesting the elements seemingly required to prove the prescribed offence appear to be ridiculous.

You would have a hard time flying through the natural obstructions in my neighborhood. But there are plenty of newer neighborhoods where the developer knocks down every last tree to build. Those neighborhoods would be very easy to fly into.
Based on what the OP wrote, he's from Levittown in Falls Township, PA. A quick peek with Google Maps shows that as mostly subdivisions, with most of the houses having trees in the yards. Flying a drone at the level of a window in a single family home just doesn't seem realistic. From a 1000 ft away, I think you would lose radio signal from all of the houses blocking the signal.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Just to play devil’s advocate here. As weird as it would be to do if I wanted to drive to the end of my street and sit in my truck and stare towards a neighbor’s home 24/7 there’s absolutely nothing they could do about it. I would have a much better gimbal(my head) and I wouldn’t have to worry about crashing or landing to change batteries. People need to stop crying about “spying” every time they see a multi-rotor in the air. By the way when talking to non enthusiasts about the subject I prefer regarding the aircraft as multi-rotor because I feel like the word drone has an underlying stigma people associate with “spying” attached to it. That’s just my opinion anyway.

if I wanted to drive to the end of my street and sit in my truck and stare towards a neighbor’s home 24/7 there’s absolutely nothing they could do about it.

I believe just walking past if you can see into a lounge room or whatever, a person can take a photo from the public footpath / street too, with a tele lens if they wanted.
Some states in the US may have or be be introducing laws to deal with that, one could argue you expect privacy inside your lounge room, but them one would also expect someone to draw their curtains or blinds if wanting such privacy.

In a backyard that is fenced off to vision from the ground, one could certainly argue privacy can be expected, from what altitude, and from what recording devices the aircraft has, is another matter that likely only a judge could deliver a verdict on, considering all the info available.

Personally if flight over suburbs is allowable, or not outright banned under a countries rules to fly, I feel simple overflight is ok, stopping and hovering not so.
Even if doing so innocently taking a sunset pics etc, it's the public perception on the ground that we need to be aware of.

Reactions: anotherlab
Just to play devil’s advocate here. As weird as it would be to do if I wanted to drive to the end of my street and sit in my truck and stare towards a neighbor’s home 24/7 there’s absolutely nothing they could do about it. I would have a much better gimbal(my head) and I wouldn’t have to worry about crashing or landing to change batteries. People need to stop crying about “spying” every time they see a multi-rotor in the air. By the way when talking to non enthusiasts about the subject I prefer regarding the aircraft as multi-rotor because I feel like the word drone has an underlying stigma people associate with “spying” attached to it. That’s just my opinion anyway.
Everything that @MAvic_South_Oz said. PA has well defined statutes on privacy, based on "intrusion upon seclusion" from section 625B of the Restatement (Second) of Torts.

That being said, we have not seen any proof from the OP that the drone was flying low enough to actually see into a first floor window.

To be honest....a pellet rifle. Cops won’t ever be able to locate the pellet nor trace it back to you. It’s illegal but only if you get caught!!! lol
Seriously your telling him to shoot it with a pellet rifle. Then if the drone happens to get a picture of him trying to shoot the drone with a pellet rifle then the OP is in big trouble. Is it worth the risk to the OP for an act which we all know is not probable. We all know unless the drone is like less then 50 feet and level with a window it will see nothing. This guy is just stirring up trouble over nothing.

it's the public perception on the ground that we need to be aware of.
Everything that @MAvic_South_Oz said. PA has well defined statutes on privacy, based on "intrusion upon seclusion" from section 625B of the Restatement (Second) of Torts.

That being said, we have not seen any proof from the OP that the drone was flying low enough to actually see into a first floor window.
I don’t think what the person that the OP is bellyaching about is right. That being said I stand by my previous statement that just because something upsets you and you don’t appreciate it, blah blah doesn’t make the other person’s actions illegal. I respect people, especially my neighbors I just don’t like people jumping on the band wagon that it’s a “drone” I don’t want it near my home, they’re here to stay. Live with it and get over it.

just because something upsets you and you don’t appreciate it, blah blah doesn’t make the other person’s actions illegal. I respect people, especially my neighbors

This is it, a flight or part of it may not be illegal, but it's not too hard to avoid people getting upset about drones in the first place.
Who actually finds it satisfying to fly around their home, or even in / around other adjacent suburbs ?

I know some have no time or can't travel to places more isolated etc, but even then flying during the day when most people are at work, keeping altitude to upwards of the 400' mark, certainly over 300', and most people won't even see or hear a drone if flying moderately.
Don't hover too long over homes, and there's probably other such things you can do to not draw the attention of people.

Even if it's legal, authorities would tire very quickly with repeated complaints about such flights, and they tend to blame the easiest target sometimes, in this case the legal pilot, but none the less it can lead to simply not enjoying the hobby if it goes on.

I totally agree and if anything I’ve posted in this thread has been taken to the contrary then my comments need to be re-read more closely. I consider myself an ambassador/advocate to r/c aviation in all its forms. I personally don’t enjoy flying anywhere that I’ll encounter another human being when I’m flying multi-rotors, fixed wing aircraft are a different story. It’s unfortunate that multi-rotor aircraft are developing the type of reputation that they are. It’s even to the point that my AMA flying field friends that primarily fly fixed wing aircraft are turning their noses up at “drones” and these people fly r/c! I think that’s saying something and it isn’t good. Fly safe, responsibly, and legally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661