DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Air2S $30 battery mod giving 35% extra battery life. Lightweight 1800mah 70c Battery Attached - 7-29-2021

Interficiam Stercore

Reactions
Edit 7-29 - When I bought the Air2S I was dissapointed in it's reduced flight time compared to my old MavAir2. Now I have way more power than the MavAir2. The power increase is almost up to an EVO2's Flight duration or maybe the same. Gives me more time to loiter around and look for better video and photo compositions. - END EDIT.

Hello Everyone,

I observed a Battery Mod Test Flight of the Air2S today. The battery, shown in attached photo, is a TATTU 1800mah 75C 11.1v 3S Lipo w XT60 power adapter. The Mod Adapter is made by STARTRC, just look at the attached pic. It has 2 XT60 connectors to attach up to 2 batteries. This test wasn't a usual time and record test. It was a realworld test comparing the pilots normal flights with no batt mod attached and with batt mod attached. The results?

With no batt mod, The pilot went straight to his usual destination where he only had 5% battery upon his return home landing.

With the 1800 mah battery mod, on the same day, same flight his battery level was 25% upon his return home landing.

This increase gives the pilot more time to loiter during the flight and take shots he may othewise have missed. I'll have to let you all know, if he buys another battery and tests two at once. But he says, he worries about the stress on the drone the added weight may cause.

The test was repeated twice. With the same results. So if you're an Air2S pilot and want to have an extra 20% power added, then by all means get the mod. It's super cheap. The flat cable mod with 2 battery attachments is about 7-10 dollars USA. The 1 Battery is only about 30 dollars USA. This extra 20% battery life only gives the pilot an added 5 minutes max, to the flight. It's cheap, it's doable, it's easy. It's just up to you.Battery Mod Adaptor.JPG

Attachments

• startrc adapter mod 2.JPG
    startrc adapter mod 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
  • A2S Drone w batt balanced side view.JPG
    A2S Drone w batt balanced side view.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 204
  • Balance Charger.JPG
    Balance Charger.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Reactions: LayinLo
Thanks for posting!
I see where the Mod Adapter comes from (never knew about that company before), but where do you source the battery with that specific type of plug/adapter?

Thanks for posting!
I see where the Mod Adapter comes from (never knew about that company before), but where do you source the battery with that specific type of plug/adapter?
It's an XT60 plug. The battery is made by Tattu. I just surfed the internet and ebay until I could find a battery with those specs with an XT60 adaptor. Luckily the XT60 plug adapter is still a pretty common find.

Tested again just this AM. This flight should have brought me home with 9% battery left, but instead, It had 29% battery left. It's like adding 20% more power to your drone with just one 1800mah battery. If I try 2 1800mah batteries I let y'all know. I haven't noticed any change in it's stability or speed with the 1800mah battery. It's fairly light since it isn't a massive amount of storage. I balance it in position with velcro over the EOM battery and slightly forwards over the canopy between the air2s sensors.A2S Drone w batt balanced side view.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: MARKAIR
Looks good! I like the Velcro idea.

Last edited:
TEST FLIGHT IN --NORMAL MODE-- 30% extra battery power left over. So instead of what it should have been, at 10% power when landing, It was at 40% power when landing. This test was done first with the stock battery, then the second flight was with the stock and 1800mah batteries, flown in extactly the same manner. The results are as previously stated. Recall, this set of tests was done in normal mode.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Looks good! I like the Velcro idea.
Thanks for watching my test flights. Looks like your the only one, or at least the only one commenting. Thanks again. So, looks like the battery gives an extra 20% battery life in Sport mode and 30% in Normal mode. Not bad at all for a 35 dollar mod.

Not bad at all for a 35 dollar mod.
And that's the real key: the whole mod (adapter+battery) costs much less than another MA2 battery pack.
I bought the STARTRC adapter off of eBay...and I'm seriously considering getting a much larger (maybe twice the mAh) battery from Tattu. I need to evaluate the whole cost/weight/performance thing first.

And that's the real key: the whole mod (adapter+battery) costs much less than another MA2 battery pack.
I bought the STARTRC adapter off of eBay...and I'm seriously considering getting a much larger (maybe twice the mAh) battery from Tattu. I need to evaluate the whole cost/weight/performance thing first.
I just ordered 2 1500mah 70c batteries from tattu. So instead of 1 1800, I'll have 2 1500's for total of 3000mah's . I didn't want to get another 1800 and have 3600mahs because, i'm concerned about weight. So, I went a little lower on the mah. I'm going to stick one on each side of the drone, instead of the one 1800 on top. I was amazed what the 1800 mah did in normal flight mode. 30% is amazing. 3000mahs will at leaast get me 40-45% increase, I hope. That's going to probably beat Autel's 40 minute flight time. Of course, when i'm using the 1500s, i'll be charging the 1800 and vice versa.

When you put the STARTRC adapter on the battery compartment electrodes be patient. Have some good lighting ready, in order to see what your doing. When your sure the flat cable is attached over the pins, take a battery to push them the rest of the way down. I also had to create a wall to hold up the extra length of the adapter that extends outside the compartment to attach the battery. Otherwise, it will fall backwards and block the rear obstacle sensor. I built the wall out of pieces of balsa wood and glued it to the drone. See the atttached photos.

Attachments

• startrc adapter mod.JPG
    startrc adapter mod.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • startrc adapter mod 2.JPG
    startrc adapter mod 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
I just ordered 2 1500mah 70c batteries from tattu. So instead of 1 1800, I'll have 2 1500's for total of 3000mah's . I didn't want to get another 1800 and have 3600mahs because, i'm concerned about weight.
If you start adding up the weight of these smaller batteries (from the detailed specs), you'll notice that 2 smaller batteries may actually weight more than 1 larger battery! For example the 2700 mAh Tattu battery (they seem to have better power/weight ratios than the Gens Ace) weighs 194g...which is about the same as the "stock" 3500 mAh MA2 battery. Based on some of the after market "Frankenstein" battery packs I've seen (which are basically 2 stock battery packs stacked on top of each other), I think the drone can comfortably handle additional weight equal to 1 battery pack (198g).
Important question: what are you using to charge these Tattu packs since they can't be charged in the drone?

If you start adding up the weight of these smaller batteries (from the detailed specs), you'll notice that 2 smaller batteries may actually weight more than 1 larger battery! For example the 2700 mAh Tattu battery (they seem to have better power/weight ratios than the Gens Ace) weighs 194g...which is about the same as the "stock" 3500 mAh MA2 battery. Based on some of the after market "Frankenstein" battery packs I've seen (which are basically 2 stock battery packs stacked on top of each other), I think the drone can comfortably handle additional weight equal to 1 battery pack (198g).
Important question: what are you using to charge these Tattu packs since they can't be charged in the drone?
I'm using and inexpensive Balance Charger - IMAX B6AC. See Attachment

Attachments

• Balance Charger.JPG
    Balance Charger.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
If you start adding up the weight of these smaller batteries (from the detailed specs), you'll notice that 2 smaller batteries may actually weight more than 1 larger battery!
I agree. So, you're really gonna try this mod too? Great! We will have to share our results. It's like we are the only ones interested in doing this. I did have a Mav Air 2 but it fell into salt water. It was ruined. But compared to the Air2S it seemed to have more flight time than the 3 minute difference between the 2 drones. Flight time i'm just not willing to give up. My frustration got the best of me. So, I started looking into these battery mods. I'm amazed not more people are doing it. It's simple, inexpensive and has been shown to work without risk since 2018. One guy even got a Mini 1 to fly for 80 minutes in a hover. 80 minutes! It's on you tube. He kept adding different battery types and MAh ratings until he finally got 80 minutes. That's incredible.

Tested flight again with 1x 1800 mah 70c battery IN NORMAL FLIGHT MODE out against wind and SPORT MODE with tail wind to home. But went further in both directions. What would have been 0% and me having to go pick the drone up, I had 35% battery at landing. I'm in shock. Maybe the lipo needed to be broken in a little. I don't know if that's true.

I had another member ask me about the affects of weight on the drone and heat stress. We need to be careful flying in high heat, like greater than 96F outside. I noticed when flying with the batery mod, my battery temps will hit 55C by the end of the flight. DJI will give a warning and reduce flight performace when the internal battery hits 65C. So when I use the battery mod, I try to fly on days under 96F. I would definitely not use my mod in outdoor temps greater than 100F. Lastly, I check the internal batt temps often when flying with the mod. I usually return home immediately, if the internal batt temp hits 60C.

Last edited:
Reactions: maggior
I had another member ask me about the affects of weight on the drone and heat stress. We need to be careful flying in high heat, like greater than 96F outside. I noticed when flying with the batery mod, my battery temps will hit 55C by the end of the flight. DJI will give a warning and reduce flight performace when the internal battery hits 65C. So when I use the battery mod, I try to fly on days under 96F. I would definitely not use my mod in outdoor temps greater than 100F. Lastly, I check the internal batt temps often when flying with the mod. I usually return home immediately, if the internal batt temp hits 60C.
Have you tried the 11.4 volt High voltage batteries? They are much smaller and lighter weight. Their high density allows them to pack more power into a smaller size.

I purchased the Tattu battery mentioned above (11.1v nominal voltage, 12.6 max, 3C @ 4.2v each).

I also purchased one of these bad boys: LiHV, Turnigy Bolt 1800mAh 3S 11.4V 65 130C High Voltage Lipoly Pack (LiHV). It weighs 1gram more and has a nominal voltage of 11.4, with a max charge around 13.1~13.2v.

I'm impressed with the Tattu battery, but not that much, and will follow up with the Turning Bolt results.

Last edited:
Hey OP next time you take flight with this extra battery, let it sit powered up for several minutes and see what your satellite count is.

have a feeling you are blocking the GPS, although you may have a high enough count for decent flight profile, if you only have like 9 satellites you are 1 away from loosing holding ability. Neat concept either way.

Reactions: maggior
With this mod don't you have to worry about matching the extra cell to the internal cells of the stock battery? The internal cells are chosen to be matched to make the "pack". Mismatched cells can create a fire hazard.

I'd worry about heat buildup in the battery and in the drone itself since it wasn't designed for these extended flight times. At the very least the ma2 hasn't been tested by dji for these flight times.

Like another poster pointed out...I'd be curious to know any impact this may have in GPS satellite reception.

Very cool and clever idea with nice results so far...but I'd be a bit leery.

Reactions: ANT0407
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky