DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

Comming into effect this summer. Drones must have liability insurance and you need to be licenced to go above 90m. I'm not looking forward to this

Watched the news today so I went and looked up Transport Canada website: For basic drone flyers from June 01, 2019: you only need to pass the online exam 35 questions $10 fee and register your drone $5 fee. I didn't see anything about insurance for basic drone flyers.

So I guess we are no longer required to have name and address on the aircraft - just have to have the C- registration number?

And have your Pilot's Certificate readily at hand (must pass Basic Exam - $10 every two years).
Some info here:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Looks to me like 99% of drone flights are going to be illegal if all of that "basic" knowledge is required for a certificate.
Or am I missing something?

Reactions: Dizzy1971
And have your Pilot's Certificate readily at hand (must pass Basic Exam - $10 every two years).
Some info here:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Looks to me like 99% of drone flights are going to be illegal if all of that "basic" knowledge is required for a certificate.
I'm sure there will be many people that disregard the regs. I don't think the test for a basic license is going to be that tough. I did a course last spring that met the requirements for the advanced one and despite it being thorough, it didn't seem that difficult.

Really not much change, just the cash grab to register your drone and a cost to pass the basic operator course..... Model aircraft and Drones are lumped into same category of RPA (remotely piloted aircraft). I guess that means that all those model aircraft operators are going to have to jump thru all the hoops that a multirotor drone operator will be subject to.... they are going to be pissed....

Some info here:

Why do you think most drone flights would be illegal?

Higher allowed altitude though! What is the ‘flight review’ you need to do when registering for the advanced certification?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69