DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Dji go4 now with Waypoints (iOS & Android)

Once it works you are able to pre-plan on map and upload mission to drone

If DJI has decided to support waypoints, do they still hold to the artifical limit of 99 waypoints? Such a continued limit would remain as handcuffs to those who really want to accomplish something with the DJI products. Take a look at the attached image. It's a real job to be flown with curved flight lines; and there are more than 99 waypoints required.

Attachments

• Pebble Creek Mine Image.jpg
    Pebble Creek Mine Image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
For those of you with the original Mavic. I bought Drone Harmony for waypoint flying. Works great.

DJI GO4 4.3.12, is not even available on the new DJI Smart Controller! I am amazed by that. I had just updated GO4 on my iPad and got the Waypoint feature, only to lose it when I received my new Smart Controller. Also missing is the Play Store app, so you cannot get any third party apps either.

I wouldn't try nor recommend any APK download outside of the Play Store unless it is officially recognized.
Just put the site up for people fed up of waiting not saying you have to download the APK....

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am new. I have an Android tablet with DJI GO 4 version 4.3.11. How do I get this update? I have been to the app store and it simply lists my GO 4 as installed, no mention of updates or versions. The DJI website lists "Android APK". What is that? I tried downloading that, but it did not seem to change anything.

Last edited:
Just put the site up for people fed up of waiting not saying you have to download the APK....
I'm just saying that it is safer to wait for the official release in Play Store. There are many reasons not to download APKs from unofficial sources.

Reactions: John235
Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am new. I have an Android tablet with DJI GO 4 version 4.3.11. How do I get this update? I have been to the app store and it simply lists my GO 4 as installed, no mention of updates or versions. The DJI website lists "DJI APK". What is that? I tried downloading that, but it did not seem to change anything.

DJI appears to be doing a limited rollout to make sure that there are no issues, e.g. if you have it already you're essentially an unofficial beta tester. That's been going on for almost a week now with no serious issues reported, so I'd expect a larger rollout to start shortly.

Unfortunately that means your choices are to either wait or sideload it (a link was posted above) by downloading and installing manually from an unofficial source. Note that the latter runs the risk of getting a binary someone has tampered with, probably unlikely given the niche application of drone control software, but YMMV. [I have no idea over the validity of the download on the site above].

DJI appears to be doing a limited rollout to make sure that there are no issues, e.g. if you have it already you're essentially an unofficial beta tester. That's been going on for almost a week now with no serious issues reported, so I'd expect a larger rollout to start shortly.

Unfortunately that means your choices are to either wait or sideload it (a link was posted above) by downloading and installing manually from an unofficial source. Note that the latter runs the risk of getting a binary someone has tampered with, probably unlikely given the niche application of drone control software, but YMMV. [I have no idea over the validity of the download on the site above].

Thank you for that explanation. It answers one of my questions about why there is no GO4 4.3.12 for the new Smart Controller. I just have to wait and it will come. I still don't know, however, where the Play Store is, (I'm an IOS guy, and the SC is my first Android device.), so how do you get third party apps or install anything?

I still don't know, however, where the Play Store is, (I'm an IOS guy, and the SC is my first Android device.), so how do you get third party apps or install anything?

It's a dedicated purpose device that just happens to run Android, rather than a generic device like a phone or tablet, so I don't think it comes with the usual Google Play Store. I expect that DJI will offer their own AppStore with a limited selection of drone specific apps at some point though, which will make the device a lot more useful. There are generally workarounds for that, but they require that you acquire APK files (app packages) for whatever you want to load manually, copy it to the device, and then "run" it.

Specific guides for this are starting to appear, but you're still in the position that you need to source the files from third-party sites where the authenticity of the APK might not be guaranteed. There's a basic web browser that will let you download from sites like APKPure, or you can load them over the USB link, but it's a bit of a clunky process until you get used to it. Given the price of the controller and your lack of familiarity with Android I'd at least wait for a decent guide before looking into this, or just wait for the official DJI support.

Reactions: W2EJ
It's a dedicated purpose device that just happens to run Android, rather than a generic device like a phone or tablet, so I don't think it comes with the usual Google Play Store. I expect that DJI will offer their own AppStore with a limited selection of drone specific apps at some point though, which will make the device a lot more useful. There are generally workarounds for that, but they require that you acquire APK files (app packages) for whatever you want to load manually, copy it to the device, and then "run" it.

Specific guides for this are starting to appear, but you're still in the position that you need to source the files from third-party sites where the authenticity of the APK might not be guaranteed. There's a basic web browser that will let you download from sites like APKPure, or you can load them over the USB link, but it's a bit of a clunky process until you get used to it. Given the price of the controller and your lack of familiarity with Android I'd at least wait for a decent guide before looking into this, or just wait for the official DJI support.
Thank you for your very clear response. Now I get it!

So, I've tried out Waypoints 2.0 a couple of times on my iPad, and I really like it. DJI did a pretty nice job with this. It's not as good as Litchi (major issue with gimbal jerkiness transitioning between waypoints with Mavic 2) or AutoPilot (doesn't support Mavic 2 at all and likely never will), but it's not bad either. The biggest single drawback is having to be connected to the drone to create the waypoint mission! That's completely ridiculous, especially if you're accustomed to using Litchi. With Litchi, you can use the app (or the web) to plan a mission completely disconnected. With DJI Waypoints 2.0, you have to be connected to the drone (while it makes noise, burns battery, etc.). I have no idea why DJI did it this way. Aside from that very annoying fact, it's actually a pretty cool mode.

With DJI Waypoints 2.0, you have to be connected to the drone (while it makes noise, burns battery, etc.). I have no idea why DJI did it this way. Aside from that very annoying fact, it's actually a pretty cool mode.

Given the vary cautious release (nearly a week now, and only a limited number of people seem to have it) I expect there's a lot of new code gone in to this and they want to be sure there are no major bugs. Just releasing and testing the core functionality first and adding bells and whistles like offline modes etc. later seems like a pretty sensible approach to me.

If that is the case, then hopefully that's just a limitation of Waypoints 2.0, v1.0 and they'll add an off-line mode soon. Clearly you are going to have to load the plan into the drone's memory at some point, but Litchi shows that you can plan the mission upfront so there's no reason I can see why DJI can't do the same.

Reactions: JThalheimer
Unless Florida is no longer in the US, Go 4.3.12 is available at least for some of us. Could be Google Play is throttling distribution.

You can set up waypoints "offline" but you do need to have the AC connected until you get to waypoints. It was found height will be limited to around 65ft when offline but once you have them set up, you can edit the heights "online".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne