DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI RC Firmware Update V01.01.0300 - Compass Fix!

Does this fix the missing Map issue as well?
The missing map issue is something that we have to address separately at home (or in the field, if possible).
The DJI RC does not have internet capabilities on its own as your cell phone might and probably does. Away from a wifi signal it has no ability to download maps as your phone would if you're using it on the controller. There are a couple of options.

1) If you're at home with a Wifi signal, turn everything on, swipe down on the RC's screen and turn on the Wifi and connect to the wifi channel at home. If you go back to the camera view screen you will now see that a map of the world is available. You'll probably want to zoom into the location you want to fly in. Once you've done that you can go back to the swipe-down screen and turn off the wifi in the RC. The map should be in memory. That's the method I used and it works.

2) In the field, with your cell phone having an internet connection, presumably 5G, turn on the hot spot feature in your phone. With the RC turned on, pull down that menu again, turn the wifi on and connect to your phone. The phone will now act as the "server" to your RC to download the maps. I don't know if you should keep the RC wifi going or turn it off as you can with the home internet method above.

The look of the map is different and less detailed than if you were flying with your phone and an RCN1, but it's useable, especially because there is a red line that leads back to the home point in case you lose sight of your drone. The first time I went out with my Mini 3 and no map I had to rely on RTH to get it back and wasn't familiar with the compass feature.

Reactions: mavictk and Prt60
The missing map issue is something that we have to address separately at home (or in the field, if possible).
The DJI RC does not have internet capabilities on its own as your cell phone might and probably does. Away from a wifi signal it has no ability to download maps as your phone would if you're using it on the controller. There are a couple of options.

1) If you're at home with a Wifi signal, turn everything on, swipe down on the RC's screen and turn on the Wifi and connect to the wifi channel at home. If you go back to the camera view screen you will now see that a map of the world is available. You'll probably want to zoom into the location you want to fly in. Once you've done that you can go back to the swipe-down screen and turn off the wifi in the RC. The map should be in memory. That's the method I used and it works.

2) In the field, with your cell phone having an internet connection, presumably 5G, turn on the hot spot feature in your phone. With the RC turned on, pull down that menu again, turn the wifi on and connect to your phone. The phone will now act as the "server" to your RC to download the maps. I don't know if you should keep the RC wifi going or turn it off as you can with the home internet method above.

The look of the map is different and less detailed than if you were flying with your phone and an RCN1, but it's useable, especially because there is a red line that leads back to the home point in case you lose sight of your drone. The first time I went out with my Mini 3 and no map I had to rely on RTH to get it back and wasn't familiar with the compass feature.
I'm glad some of you watched the video tutorial I posted...

One note to consider is that the DJI RC shuts off wifi when the aircraft launches.

I've updated to V01.01.0300 and all seems well, with one exception. I'm still not seeing the controller location and orientation icon on either the attitude indicator or the map view.

Is anyone else having that problem? I'm not aware of a setting that would affect it. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Torque
I've updated to V01.01.0300 and all seems well, with one exception. I'm still not seeing the controller location and orientation icon on either the attitude indicator or the map view.

Is anyone else having that problem? I'm not aware of a setting that would affect it. Am I missing something?
I don't remember if it was here or on one of the FB groups that I read if you turn the controller off and back on it fixes the issue. This has worked for me. Too bad this FW update didn't fix this issue.

I don't remember if it was here or on one of the FB groups that I read if you turn the controller off and back on it fixes the issue. This has worked for me. Too bad this FW update didn't fix this issue.
I know that's sometimes necessary after a firmware or software update and probably a good standard practice when updating. But this has been happening over several days and many power on and off cycles.

I did find the solution. I tried to manually update the home point during a flight and received an error message saying "Enable location services and update app permissions" or similar. That reminded me that the Fly app privacy settings on the Profile page affect those things. So I landed and had a look. Oddly enough they were all set on. I went back to camera view, took off, and immediately found that the controller icon was showing on the map and attitude indicator. It seems that just looking at the settings in the Profile reset some variable in the Fly app that had disabled the controller location.

Bottom line: If the controller icon isn't showing up in the map or attitude indicator, exit camera view, open the Profile and ensure that the toggles under Settings | Privacy are enabled.

Had a quick try late yesterday when it was almost dark they seem to have fully fixed the frankly bizarre compass.
Though must admit I rarely use it, seeing things apparently randomly spinning about could be quite disturbing if not dangerous if you attempted to react to it.

Had a quick try late yesterday when it was almost dark they seem to have fully fixed the frankly bizarre compass.
Though must admit I rarely use it, seeing things apparently randomly spinning about could be quite disturbing if not dangerous if you attempted to react to it.

The compass elements on the attitude indicator and map don't spin randomly. People have been reacting safely to compasses for almost a thousand years.

They might seem to move randomly only if the viewer doesn't understand what they mean. It seems to me that anyone flying a drone as advanced as a Mini ought to be familiar with the compass functions and how to use them.

I know that's sometimes necessary after a firmware or software update and probably a good standard practice when updating. But this has been happening over several days and many power on and off cycles.

I did find the solution. I tried to manually update the home point during a flight and received an error message saying "Enable location services and update app permissions" or similar. That reminded me that the Fly app privacy settings on the Profile page affect those things. So I landed and had a look. Oddly enough they were all set on. I went back to camera view, took off, and immediately found that the controller icon was showing on the map and attitude indicator. It seems that just looking at the settings in the Profile reset some variable in the Fly app that had disabled the controller location.

Bottom line: If the controller icon isn't showing up in the map or attitude indicator, exit camera view, open the Profile and ensure that the toggles under Settings | Privacy are enabled.
Thanks for this solution. It worked for me. I do, however, have to do the whole procedure each time I turn on the RC.
Anyone know why this is ?

Thanks for this solution. It worked for me. I do, however, have to do the whole procedure each time I turn on the RC.
Anyone know why this is ?

I'm usually having to do the fix on each controller startup, too. But a couple of times it wasn't necessary. I wasn't able to sort out anything done differently on those two startups.

The compass elements on the attitude indicator and map don't spin randomly. People have been reacting safely to compasses for almost a thousand years.

They might seem to move randomly only if the viewer doesn't understand what they mean. It seems to me that anyone flying a drone as advanced as a Mini ought to be familiar with the compass functions and how to use them.
They did spin randomly on the buggy firmware.
It is fine now and sometimes useful

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky