DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Drone Pilot from Alberta.

RCDrones

Reactions
So a little about myself,
My first drone I purchased was a parrot AR 2.0. All I remember from that drone was maybe 10 minutes of flight time, no obstacle detection very crappy camera and weird controls.
Sold it, and then moved on and never looked at drones again.

It left a bad taste in my mouth. Add in all the talk about licensing and fees and legal issues in Canada drones seemed like a really "demonized" and niche hobby that I didn't want to deal with.
Now for Christmas my parents because they never know what to get me picked me up this cheap Amazon F89 drone. Which of course first thing I did was seek out the legal issues with drones. Which got me into the classifications on weight, licensing, rules, maybe not the first thing most people do but I am 35 and don't need that. My first few flights brought back memories of that Parrot drone. poor range, poor battery life, weird charging setup.
Decided to look at other drones to see what they were like. and I found the Mini 3 pro. I was blown away by the camera quality, how could something so tiny be so mighty is what came to my mind. Also the built in screen and transmission range, flight times, This had to be BS no way the drone was this good all these people must be lying on youtube, paid off by DJI. So I went to the store, saw the mini 3 fly more with the DJI RC and I bought it. I got it home opened it up, started charging the batteries and went for the first flight and it was better than I expected it to be (Notice I said Mini 3 not Mini 3 Pro) I went with the non pro for 2 reason, 1) I am not a photographer or videographer, 2) not sure if this was a hobby I wanted to actually get into and selling a mini 3 would be pretty easy if I wanted to recoup costs if I didn't 3) Budget, its the cheapest drone that also offers the DJI RC.
Well fast forward 3 weeks and I have several flights under my belt, I had to send my unit back to DJI as the RC remote had a defect and they offered to replace the whole kit. (SD card would not eject, I could read and save to the card but there was no way to remove it without tweezers)
I am also licensed and studying for the advanced license in Canada and if I get that I plan on picking up the new Air3 or Mavic 3 Classic. Alberta has lots of wind and the bigger drone would be better over all, I would get the Air 2s but I want 30+ minute flight times.
One thing I did not expect, I have never liked taking photos, I take pictures for work, to capture information but never to capture the moment so to speak.
My drone made me get a Lightroom subscription and start learning how to edit RAW images and the magic you can do with RAW files is mind-blowing. I turned a hazy dreary smoky day into a bright colorful sunny day with beautiful blue sky.

Anyway, glad to be here.

Hello from the Crossroads of America RCDrones.

I found the Mini 3 pro. I was blown away by the camera quality, how could something so tiny be so mighty is what came to my mind.

I too was blown away with my first drone, the DJI SPARK.

It had a 2 axis gimbal and only shot in 1080p.

I would fly up next to a water tower and couldn't believe that the tiny little thing was producing a nice big picture.

Have fun with the mini and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum! :)

I said Mini 3 not Mini 3 Pro) I went with the non pro

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Great Intro Story, I look forward to your inputs and to see some of those "Mind-Blowing" RAW editing of those "hazy dreary smoky days"…

Since you live in Canada, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, You probably already know all this and more; but, please check to ensure these are current.

Even though you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, and then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6 feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, "Home point Updated."

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 3 (Non-Pro… LoL… ), including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann, in Hurst, Texas!

My experience is a lot like yours. In my 15 years as a real estate appraiser, I took many, many photos each day, but had no interest at all in recreational photography. Then I got a DJI Mavic Pro. I was hooked. Having the freedom of vantage points an aerial camera platform affords made all the difference! I fly a Mavic 2 Pro now, but will soon add a Mini 3 Pro to my collection. It has a great camera, and its sub 250 gram weight renders it immune to many gov’t restrictions which which apply to heavier drones.

We have over 150,000 members—many from Western Canada--who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have will’ve already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask!

I attached a couple of links below, which will make learning piloting and photo/video skills easy. They specifically refer to the Mini 3 Pro, but his “moves” apply to any drone (DJI, anyway). You might enjoy the guy's Northern Irish accent, as I do.

Glad to have you with us!
Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

Which got me into the classifications on weight, licensing, rules
It's a lot clearer than it used to be.

Depending on where you live, you may want to hang on to the Mini after you upgrade. I have a Mavic 2 Pro, and I've hardly used it since I bought my Mini 3 Pro because, while it is better in low light and has better stability in windy conditions, I can fly it in far fewer places. (I live in the GTA, so control zones for two of Canada's busiest airports with a lot of smaller airports and heliports around. Not to mention lots of people, who I would have to stay 30 m from with the Mavic.)

I also have a Mavic Mini, which is significantly worse than the Mavic 2 Pro, yet still got a fair bit of use because, again, flight restrictions.

Doesn't apply if you're well away from controlled airspace, of course.

I use Drone Pilot Canada to log flights and check for restricted airspace and NOTAMs. Very happy with it.

Why don't you head over to the showcase forum and post some of those images? Maybe before-and-after comparisons. I'm sure a lot of Albertans would love to learn how to clear their skies right now. :D

Welcome from another Albertan!
I have the Mini 3 (non pro) as well and it is a great little bird.
You do not need to have a pilot license to fly it here in Canada, nor do you need to register it as long as you only fly with the 249G batteries. If you decided on the Plus battery, then you will be in the over 250 gram weight category and you will need to register it and obtain your basic pilot license.
FYI, it costs $5 to register your aircraft and $10 for the online Pilot license test.

Last edited:
My first drone I purchased was a parrot AR 2.0. All I remember from that drone was maybe 10 minutes of flight time, no obstacle detection very crappy camera and weird controls.

It left a bad taste in my mouth. Add in all the talk about licensing and fees and legal issues in Canada drones seemed like a really "demonized" and niche hobby that I didn't want to deal with.
Now for Christmas my parents because they never know what to get me picked me up this cheap Amazon F89 drone. Which of course first thing I did was seek out the legal issues with drones. Which got me into the classifications on weight, licensing, rules, maybe not the first thing most people do but I am 35 and don't need that. My first few flights brought back memories of that Parrot drone. poor range, poor battery life, weird charging setup.
Decided to look at other drones to see what they were like. and I found the Mini 3 pro. I was blown away by the camera quality, how could something so tiny be so mighty is what came to my mind. Also the built in screen and transmission range, flight times, This had to be BS no way the drone was this good all these people must be lying on youtube, paid off by DJI. So I went to the store, saw the mini 3 fly more with the DJI RC and I bought it. I got it home opened it up, started charging the batteries and went for the first flight and it was better than I expected it to be (Notice I said Mini 3 not Mini 3 Pro) I went with the non pro for 2 reason, 1) I am not a photographer or videographer, 2) not sure if this was a hobby I wanted to actually get into and selling a mini 3 would be pretty easy if I wanted to recoup costs if I didn't 3) Budget, its the cheapest drone that also offers the DJI RC.
Well fast forward 3 weeks and I have several flights under my belt, I had to send my unit back to DJI as the RC remote had a defect and they offered to replace the whole kit. (SD card would not eject, I could read and save to the card but there was no way to remove it without tweezers)
I am also licensed and studying for the advanced license in Canada and if I get that I plan on picking up the new Air3 or Mavic 3 Classic. Alberta has lots of wind and the bigger drone would be better over all, I would get the Air 2s but I want 30+ minute flight times.
One thing I did not expect, I have never liked taking photos, I take pictures for work, to capture information but never to capture the moment so to speak.
My drone made me get a Lightroom subscription and start learning how to edit RAW images and the magic you can do with RAW files is mind-blowing. I turned a hazy dreary smoky day into a bright colorful sunny day with beautiful blue sky.

Anyway, glad to be here.
Welcome to the forum.

Anyway, glad to be here.
Welcome to the forum! I’m from Lethbridge, and like you, was sceptical at first. I now own a small fleet of drones, a high end camera and lens and am currently learning to fly FPV.

Once you get the bug, you’ll never look back. The best part about drones are the adventures you’ll go on. Seeking out new and spectacular places to fly and film…oh, also, I can vouch for the Mavic 3. It’s an amazing drone that you won’t regret spending money on.

Welcome from the U.K. I too started with a Parrot AR 2.0-still got it. What a nightmare to fly and the size. I nearly took my friend’s head off when I was showing it off but I did manage to get it to flip-remember that? Quite a feature. When my nephew got a Spark and my wife saw the quality of the photos etc I was “encouraged” to get one and have never looked back. Currently own a MA2 and love it. Like you I am purely a recreational flyer and snap away happily hoping to get a piece of magic. Good luck and hope all goes well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13