DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New FAA hobby regs (17th of May 2019) and DJI firmware update (or lack thereof)

combatplane57

Reactions
Hi guys, newbie to this forum.
I have a DJI mavic pro, and I've just began the process of studying to get my part 107 license, for now I'm 100% a hobbyist.

So yesterday was an interesting evening. I went to a friend's place with my drone, (as I've done a few times in the past), since it has a really beautiful lake behind some woods in the backyard.
I've flown here in the past quite a few times, but the tricky part is that it's right at the edge of a 5mi local airport radius. Now I've never figured out where exactly is this radius border, but I've always called the tower and let them know I'd likely be flying a bit into their 5mi radius. Never have I ever had a problem flying here.

Yesterday afternoon, however, I had just picked up a set of ND filters, and I wanted to give them a quick visual test run before actually venturing out into the lake... and that's when things went south.
I put on the ND filter but since I was behind the sun, in the shade of the house, I decided to take off, straight up, about 20ft up and see some sunny areas and calibrate image settings. I never got any restricted airspace warning (which I sometimes randomly do in that area) ... but about 10 secs after take off, the drone just did a swan dive and crash landed on the side of the house. WTF... I was afraid my controller was defective or something was seriously wrong with the drone. Long story short, I called it a day... the drone survived but was left with a crack in the front leg, and I was left scratching my head as to what in the world went wrong.

It wasn't only until this morning that I was browsing the interwebs for answers that I learned that this new rule effectively bans hobby drone flying in the 5 mi airspace around airports.
Now I know it's on me for not keeping up-to-date with the news, but I'm 100% sure my firmware was, and I would have imagined that DJI's software would let me know via some warning or something that there was now effectively a no-fly zone less than a stone's throw.

So my question is... What are DJI drones supposed to actually do now when they get near the 5mi radius of an airport? What then when I do have my part 107 pilot license... will the drone also crash land when it gets anywhere near restricted airspace? How would it know when a hobbyist is flying versus a part 107 pilot?

about 10 secs after take off, the drone just did a swan dive and crash landed on the side of the house
Flying near a zone that's restricted by DJI will not cause the drone to do a swan dive and/or crash landing. Did you take a look at the flight log to see if it explains what happened?

Reactions: MikeMauk
In previous user posts there is one where a temp NFZ started while user was flying. The drone immediately landed.
Once you have your 107 you can get LAANC clearance via an FAA approved provider. AirMap is my personal preference.
Personally I never ask DJI for permission, and one big reason is that the NFZs in their database are wildly different from all of the approved LAANC providers.

Best of luck on your exam!

Agree with above, even a forced landing should have been controlled. Post you flight logs if you don’t analyze them yourself.

Last edited:
Hi guys, newbie to this forum.
I have a DJI mavic pro, and I've just began the process of studying to get my part 107 license, for now I'm 100% a hobbyist.

So yesterday was an interesting evening. I went to a friend's place with my drone, (as I've done a few times in the past), since it has a really beautiful lake behind some woods in the backyard.
I've flown here in the past quite a few times, but the tricky part is that it's right at the edge of a 5mi local airport radius. Now I've never figured out where exactly is this radius border, but I've always called the tower and let them know I'd likely be flying a bit into their 5mi radius. Never have I ever had a problem flying here.

Yesterday afternoon, however, I had just picked up a set of ND filters, and I wanted to give them a quick visual test run before actually venturing out into the lake... and that's when things went south.
I put on the ND filter but since I was behind the sun, in the shade of the house, I decided to take off, straight up, about 20ft up and see some sunny areas and calibrate image settings. I never got any restricted airspace warning (which I sometimes randomly do in that area) ... but about 10 secs after take off, the drone just did a swan dive and crash landed on the side of the house. WTF... I was afraid my controller was defective or something was seriously wrong with the drone. Long story short, I called it a day... the drone survived but was left with a crack in the front leg, and I was left scratching my head as to what in the world went wrong.

It wasn't only until this morning that I was browsing the interwebs for answers that I learned that this new rule effectively bans hobby drone flying in the 5 mi airspace around airports.
Now I know it's on me for not keeping up-to-date with the news, but I'm 100% sure my firmware was, and I would have imagined that DJI's software would let me know via some warning or something that there was now effectively a no-fly zone less than a stone's throw.

So my question is... What are DJI drones supposed to actually do now when they get near the 5mi radius of an airport? What then when I do have my part 107 pilot license... will the drone also crash land when it gets anywhere near restricted airspace? How would it know when a hobbyist is flying versus a part 107 pilot?

First off welcome to the forum.

The aircraft does not "Swan Dive" when it enters a NFZ. Something else went wrong and you need to diagnose that before you fly it again.

The new rule does NOT state anything about "5 mile from an airport". That was the OLD rule.

New law states you know what Airspace you're in and then you determine if flying is allowed or not.

Once you have your 107 you can get LAANC clearance via an FAA approved provider. AirMap is my personal preference.
Personally I never ask DJI for permission, and one big reason is that the NFZs in their database are wildly different from all of the approved LAANC providers.
Even with permission through LAANC via AirMap, you'd still need to unlock authorization areas that DJI restricts (like if flying at an airport in controlled airspace). I suspect these areas will be auto unlocked when DJI adds LAANC access to DJI GO.

Reactions: BigAl07
Even with permission through LAANC via AirMap, you'd still need to unlock authorization areas that DJI restricts (like if flying at an airport in controlled airspace). I suspect these areas will be auto unlocked when DJI adds LAANC access to DJI GO.
Guess I’ve been lucky enough that DJI software hasn’t restricted me or asked for any codes, etc., even though I commonly take off in the last 50-100’ of an NFZ. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.
I would again point out seeking LAANC approval through a non-approved (by FAA) source could be a problem and DJI is currently still not on the FAA’s approved list of LAANC providers.

Reactions: Former Member
I would again point out seeking LAANC approval through a non-approved (by FAA) source could be a problem and DJI is currently still not on the FAA’s approved list of LAANC providers.
Well, they are on the list (see your link above). They just currently don't offer LAANC services. That's why you need to authorize from DJI GO or the DJI website for DJI authorization zones ;)

Well, they are on the list (see your link above). They just currently don't offer LAANC services. That's why you need to authorize from DJI GO or the DJI website for DJI authorization zones ;)
That’s the strange part. I never encountered one from DJI and plan to avoid the DJI system. I guess they (DJI) don’t include Chandler regional or PHX Sky Harbour. Never been asked, or requested, any approval from any DJI software to fly. The DJI software on my CS will tell me it’s a NFZ, but has never limited me. I do always have LAANC approval via AirMap before I even unpack my drone, so I’m sure I’m OK.... this has been the case for my M2P, MPP, and even my Spark. Don’t use the CS for the Spark though, mostly just gestures.

First off welcome to the forum.

The aircraft does not "Swan Dive" when it enters a NFZ. Something else went wrong and you need to diagnose that before you fly it again.

Thanks... yea well I might have exaggerated a bit with "swan dived", but the aircraft basically banked sharply to the left and down, as if I had pulled the sticks hard, and went down quite unceremoniously, there was nothing controlled about it, that's why I thought it was perhaps my controller going nuts. Barely had time to try to correct anything, it just went down and out. Never had I seen it do that before. Props were 100% intact before (and after) the "flight". IMU and compass were calibrated. It literally was in the air for less than 10-12 secs before it went nuts. I didn't even have the SD card in yet... so would there even be any flight log? How can I try and see if I can salvage a log from somewhere? The controller perhaps?

They are not FAA approved LAANC providers still, as is true of several on the list. Will admit that I don’t know how the apps get approved though.

Thanks... yea well I might have exaggerated a bit with "swan dived", but the aircraft basically banked sharply to the left and down, as if I had pulled the sticks hard, and went down quite unceremoniously, there was nothing controlled about it, that's why I thought it was perhaps my controller going nuts. Barely had time to try to correct anything, it just went down and out. Never had I seen it do that before. Props were 100% intact before (and after) the "flight". IMU and compass were calibrated. It literally was in the air for less than 10-12 secs before it went nuts. I didn't even have the SD card in yet... so would there even be any flight log? How can I try and see if I can salvage a log from somewhere? The controller perhaps?

The flight log will be saved on your device. Someone will post a link to the process how to extract and upload them (I'm sure) shortly.

Reactions: Thomas B
so would there even be any flight log? How can I try and see if I can salvage a log from somewhere? The controller perhaps?
You'd have a flight log as long as you were flying with DJI GO. You can upload and view it online here. Post a link back here after you upload it.

It would also be helpful if you'd attach the DAT flight log here. You can find instructions for locating that log here.

There is a flight log and it may help you prove to DJI that they should fix you drone.

They are not FAA approved LAANC providers still, as is true of several on the list. Will admit that I don’t know how the apps get approved though.
They were approved by the FAA on or around October 1st, 2018. See more details here.

They were approved by the FAA on or around October 1st, 2018. See more details here.
Interesting DJI press release.
Still, see the FAA approved LAANC providers in post #9 above from the FAA website. That list is current as of April 30, 2019... go figure.

Anyway, happy flights to all. Let’s let @combatplane57 get his help from @Thunderdrones

Last edited:
Interesting DJI press release.
Still, see the FAA approved LAANC ponders in post #9 above from the FAA website. That list is current as of April 30, 2019... go figure.
The link in post #9 states DJI is an approved provider. That's the same list from the official FAA announcement on October 1st. See more details here:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe