DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New firmware 1000 for Mavic Pro. Anyone tried it?

I flew two flights today. One was 10,200 feet out, with an 11,000 return. I shot video and took some RAW images.

I found the images to be the best I've seen out of a Mavic. Both the video and spectacular stills were much better than I expected.

I believe I could have flown a little bit farther, but it was over Lake Ontario, and I was worried it wouldn't make it back.

Very nice Drone.

What settings are you using? Any filters or anything? I'm going to try mine without the ND 4/PL filter tomorrow and see if that makes it better. I tend to just set it on "auto" and leave it. It's the only thing I miss about my Solo or Karma. Right or wrong, I really like the video I consistently shot with the Go Pro Hero 4 Black and Hero 5 Black cameras.

Flag-1.jpg

What settings are you using? Any filters or anything? I'm going to try mine without the ND 4/PL filter tomorrow and see if that makes it better. I tend to just set it on "auto" and leave it. It's the only thing I miss about my Solo or Karma. Right or wrong, I really like the video I consistently shot with the Go Pro Hero 4 Black and Hero 5 Black cameras.

View attachment 20495

Default settings[emoji52]

I flew two flights today. One was 10,200 feet out, with an 11,000 return. I shot video and took some RAW images.

I found the images to be the best I've seen out of a Mavic. Both the video and spectacular stills were much better than I expected.

I believe I could have flown a little bit farther, but it was over Lake Ontario, and I was worried it wouldn't make it back.

Very nice Drone.

I also think I prefer the 1000 firmware picture/video wise for my personal use. Yes , I think it's a touch darker overall, but it looks sharper and less over exposed/bright when videoing around the farm today in the auto setting. Color wise I never thought the Mavic was the best compared to other new model DJI drones like the P4P or Inspire. Just goes to show beauty is the eye of the beholder though, people have different likes/dislikes. I'm no professional camera man that's a fact , I just fly around the farm checking livestock, fences,wildlife and the occasional property security mission.

Reactions: NinjaNut
I also think I prefer the 1000 firmware picture/video wise for my personal use. Yes , I think it's a touch darker overall, but it looks sharper and less over exposed/bright when videoing around the farm today in the auto setting. Color wise I never thought the Mavic was the best compared to other new model DJI drones like the P4P or Inspire. Just goes to show beauty is the eye of the beholder though, people have different likes/dislikes. I'm no professional camera man that's a fact , I just fly around the farm checking livestock, fences,wildlife and the occasional property security mission.

No darker, the image tilts to magenta color. The image seems dark because the sky is blue and not have the magenta spectrum

Finally got around to the updates but a bit late to go fly right now. Firmware installed fine but I did it via PC which first gives an update of geofences required but fails since the latest firmware was not installed.. Got the firmware via PC installed which went smoothly. My app for some reason still wants me to download the firmware. No idea why but annoying me enough that I am just going to let it update.

Heading to one the PA state parks tomorrow but it is not on one of the "approved" parks. May just ask while I am there.

i flew 2 full batteries, took some night pics, went to 500m height, did some sport mode... all seems great, no issues, however went back to fw .900 for reasons not mentioning here :) but.... 1000 is quite working no fear

50bc126e0a3c1e0def1926e408aa9c08.jpg

Well Billy Kyle did a video on the "improved video quality".
I am not sure what he is talking about but IMHO the .900 video looks better than the new 1000. And under exposure has never been a problem for me with the Mavic, it's always been an over exposure issue hence the ND filters.
Rob

Yeah that video was really disappointing. But then, what can you expect from a Youtube video that starts with "wazzup guys". In general, I don't see the point in doing a three-minute video to tell something that could be said in a couple of well-written and edited paragraphs of text, and a couple of example pictures. Videos are so overrated. They are hard to edit if you notice a mistake afterwards, and the textual contents does not get indexed by search engines. Lose-lose, really.

By the way, you are misstating a bit when you say that ND filters would be needed to avoid overexposure. To reduce exposure (get a darker image), just reduce the exposure. Use a shorter exposure time (faster shutter speed), or decrease the sensitivity ("ISO"). Most trivially, just rotate the right-hand exposure compensation wheel a bit to the left to get -0.3 or -0.7 EV compensation.

ND filters are used to be able to use a long exposure time (in video, for that "cinematic" motion blur in the frames; in stills, for intentionally (partial) motion blur). The exposure (overall brightness of the image) stays the same: less strong light reaches the sensor but for a correspondingly longer time.

As for the alleged image quality improvements, I will believe only reports that at least try to use some kind of scientific reasoning and measurements of some data in the video or still image file, and not just eyeballing a video.

Still at .400 I was thinking of moving to .700 but after DJI's Spark announcement that after Sept 1st if you have not upgraded it will not fly. I am more apprehensive of the newer stuff having time bombs in them. I do not want to get stuck having to update to whatever DJI throws out.

Rob

So it is believed that even .700 has a time bomb in it?

By the way, you are misstating a bit when you say that ND filters would be needed to avoid overexposure. To reduce exposure (get a darker image), just reduce the exposure. Use a shorter exposure time (faster shutter speed), or decrease the sensitivity ("ISO"). Most trivially, just rotate the right-hand exposure compensation wheel a bit to the left to get -0.3 or -0.7 EV compensation..

No I am saying that if what he says is correct and his settings are the same then the picture is brighter. There is not a whole lot to work with when filming with the Mavic.

4K at 30fps with require a shutter speed of 60. So all I have left is ND filters and changing ISO. Since I want to keep the ISO at 100 for best quality that leaves ND filters. EV compensation is changing one of the parameters to get proper exposure, it can be the ISO or the shutter speed. Typically it would be the aperture but the Mavic has a fixed aperture.

Rob

The "new 1000" (seriously?? too hard to call it 1001 or something?) only changes the goggles' main android system, no other module (i.e. Mavic and RC unchanged). BUT it also introduces the same anti-downgrade mechanism as the Spark 600 update.

Didn't see a visible difference before/after on the goggles on a ground test.

The "new 1000" (seriously?? too hard to call it 1001 or something?) only changes the goggles' main android system, no other module (i.e. Mavic and RC unchanged).
DJI Assistant shows me now 3 1000 firmwares for my goggles :)

I upgraded to the latest one: It fixes an audio issue, which I had after the first 1000 goggles firmware update. When watching the demo videos (or the touch pad menu sounds) the volume was constantly changing although I set the volume to zero. This is fixed now.

Reactions: Vilco
This is my test with two Mavic units:
V01.03.0900
f0ca1acca9f19ae63266ca741ecad083.jpg

Mavic 1 with firmware v01.03.1000
07605817194151ceada14429194203a1.jpg

Mavic 2 with firmware v01.03.1000
57bd10698b72ef0a5d2ac8fa465959b4.jpg

Reactions: Robbyg
What color profile did you use? I noticed that on 1000 the TruColor profile I usually like to use doesn't iffer from Normal.

What color profile did you use? I noticed that on 1000 the TruColor profile I usually like to use doesn't iffer from Normal.

Camera mode: Auto
Format: Jpeg
White Balance: Auto
Color: Normal
Style: 0,0,0

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member