DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New fixture to balance folding props

bumper

Reactions
Firstly, I've read that DJI, and I assumed the new Master Airscrew props for the M2, don't need balancing. I've found that not to be the case - some stats below.

A static balance tool such as the "Dubro" prop balancer, will only work if a folding prop is perfectly straight. Several methods have been tried with varying degrees of success, such as pulling the blades directly apart or spinning the prop in a drill motor, both those methods, IMO provide opportunity for error. This simple fixture eliminates that possibility. However, for best results prop should be new(er) so the blade pivot is not loose to allow the blade to flop by gravity.

First pic shows fixture, second with prop mounted. Any flat, machinable material will work for the base (hardwood, plastic etc - the one shown is a bit of scrap Lexan, polycarbonate, acrylic is not suitable - too brittle to accept press fit pins). The pins, cut from 3mm stainless rod are pressed in along a straight, scribed line, one in the center and two equidistant from the center pin to act as the blade positioning stops. There is no need for a hub positioning guide or stop, as any slight idex variation of the hub will result in equal blade angle in relation to the hub, so the prop will still be straight as far as the balancing procedure is concerned.

eTbbCN7.png

y2TCywD.png

Statistics so far:

I balanced 16 DJI props, 10 were acceptable and 6 required adjustment. Two of those were what I consider to be significantly out of balance with one requiring 0.005 oz (or .14 grams) of weight (I used 12 mil thick UHMW tape for the weights).

I balanced 12 new Master Airscrew props with 5 of those needing adjustment. One had a lateral imbalance (normally any imbalance is span wise with the weight only added to one prop near the hub so it won't affect aerodynamics.

Other notes:

The fixture really makes balancing a lot easier. One still has to remove the prop from the fixture with care so as not to bump a blade. That happens, but it's quick and easy to put it on the fixture again and get it straight.

I found it helpful to put a black marker index on the 3 mm balance shaft to more readily identify one blade so not to lose track of which blade is which.
I was concerned the SS rod stock would not be perfectly straight. I checked by rolling it on granite counter top - pretty close, and no doubt within the tolerances of the Dubro. I used a drill press and hand tools to make the fixture. I have a machine shop at my hangar, could have done a nicer job making the base out of aluminum plate on the mill. But that's 10 miles away so I kluged this together to see if it works. :)

Firstly, I've read that DJI, and I assumed the new Master Airscrew props for the M2, don't need balancing. I've found that not to be the case - some stats below.

A static balance tool such as the "Dubro" prop balancer, will only work if a folding prop is perfectly straight. Several methods have been tried with varying degrees of success, such as pulling the blades directly apart or spinning the prop in a drill motor, both those methods, IMO provide opportunity for error. This simple fixture eliminates that possibility. However, for best results prop should be new(er) so the blade pivot is not loose to allow the blade to flop by gravity.

First pic shows fixture, second with prop mounted. Any flat, machinable material will work for the base (hardwood, plastic etc - the one shown is a bit of scrap Lexan, polycarbonate, acrylic is not suitable - too brittle to accept press fit pins). The pins, cut from 3mm stainless rod are pressed in along a straight, scribed line, one in the center and two equidistant from the center pin to act as the blade positioning stops. There is no need for a hub positioning guide or stop, as any slight idex variation of the hub will result in equal blade angle in relation to the hub, so the prop will still be straight as far as the balancing procedure is concerned.

eTbbCN7.png

y2TCywD.png

Statistics so far:

I balanced 16 DJI props, 10 were acceptable and 6 required adjustment. Two of those were what I consider to be significantly out of balance with one requiring 0.005 oz (or .14 grams) of weight (I used 12 mil thick UHMW tape for the weights).

I balanced 12 new Master Airscrew props with 5 of those needing adjustment. One had a lateral imbalance (normally any imbalance is span wise with the weight only added to one prop near the hub so it won't affect aerodynamics.

Other notes:

The fixture really makes balancing a lot easier. One still has to remove the prop from the fixture with care so as not to bump a blade. That happens, but it's quick and easy to put it on the fixture again and get it straight.

I found it helpful to put a black marker index on the 3 mm balance shaft to more readily identify one blade so not to lose track of which blade is which.
I was concerned the SS rod stock would not be perfectly straight. I checked by rolling it on granite counter top - pretty close, and no doubt within the tolerances of the Dubro. I used a drill press and hand tools to make the fixture. I have a machine shop at my hangar, could have done a nicer job making the base out of aluminum plate on the mill. But that's 10 miles away so I kluged this together to see if it works. :)
Overall, did you then notice a difference to flight/noise characteristics? Cheers Dave

Overall, did you then notice a difference to flight/noise characteristics? Cheers Dave
No, I detected no difference in flight characteristics. However, removing vibration does increase efficiency. I have an ACES dynamic prop balancer for full size aircraft. In that application correcting an imbalance results in a more discernible difference in performance, depending on the magnitude of the vibration (measured in inches per second). It takes a significant amount of horsepower to shake a relatively heavy engine, and even though there are engine mounts to absorb part of that, the vibration can be felt in the airframe as well.

Same principles apply to drones on a much smaller scale of course, out of balance motor rotors and props waste battery power.

Reactions: Newbie Flyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078