DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New flyer in Melbourne, AUS.

Blackmambaz

Reactions
Hello folks, just bought my very first drone today (MA2) and looking for places to fly around Victoria.

Went through CASA website, open few maps (Ok2fly etc), and the issue is the map only show restricted air spaces. The other issue is with the local council law and regulations.

Now the question is, where can I legally fly my drone ? Any suggestions ? Planning to head down to the beach but dont know which one. Dont want to break any law or get any fine.

Thanks in advance!

Heya, welcome to the forum.
I visit Melb a fair bit (son there), but usually don't have too much time to fly anywhere metro.
Usually do that on the way to / from, and often go via out of the way routes to see new places.

Ok, there are a few apps now from CASA and Ok2Fly is fine, mostly they all show the same airspace stuff and temp NFZ, none show other places with restrictions, such as National Parks and local councils.

National Parks is fairly straightforward, just say recreational flight is out, even RePL / ReOC ops are hard to get permits, and quite high fees.

Councils. Varies, but a LOT of urban councils seem to have similar blanket bans on drones and other model aircraft, motorised cars etc from operating on land under their authority.

If you google the councils name, followed by drone bylaw, you will usually (but not always) find the info.
I know most metro SA councils have bans, but am yet to see a sign, or yet to be pulled up by anyone when I very seldomly fly in a couple of parks to test something.
I do take great care not to fly unless a place has virtually anyone around, fly a lot mid week, middle of the day etc if possible, or very early morning.

Use some discretion as to where / when you fly, and I doubt very much anyone will bother you.
Be prepared to land if approached and asked to cease flying, plead your innocent flight and flying to CASA drone regs (ensure you are), say you were unaware and will check in future etc etc.
I haven't heard or seen on forums anyone getting fined in Australia for such an 'offence', we have a very ow drone count in general, and it wouldn't be a huge problem in general for councils etc.

Beaches there ?
Try and do sunrise flights, hardly anyone around, be discreet and courteous to others, fly well within CASA rules, get up, 20 - 25 mins, down, move on up the road to another place to check out.

I fly well away from people usually, takes anything from 30mins to a couple of hours to be completely alone and no one to bother you.

edit typo

Last edited:
Welcome

The more you delve into it the more confusing the law will become. Even where laws exist in many cases they have never been tested and the legality of them is questionable.

My local city council was going to make a law prohibiting the use of drones in all their parks but received legal advise that they do not have the power to do so, yet other council in the area have such on their books. Until some one with deep enough pocket challenges their status is unclear. It is an area where local, state and Commonwealth law all intersect and jurisdiction is often unclear.

Welcome to our Forum.

I live north of Brisbane - I use 2 apps, Open Sky and UAV Forecast, plus if it's a NFZ - the drone won't go.

Same as above comments, stay away from people, sunrise and sunset times are good, fly for max 30 minutes and move on, keep a visual on your drone at all times when you fly.

And most importantly - Enjoy!

Welcome to our Forum from a bloke in N. Texas!
Whenever you need help, just ask. As you can see, lots of fellow Aussies will be there for you. So will many others of us from everywhere else on the globe.

As a Yank who's never been "down under"--in the geographic sense, anyway--I don't know much about the rules there. But I predict that, through this Forum, you'll soon be an expert. As to drone mechanics, flying, and photography, we'll be glad to help you in every way we can.

I'm delighted to have you with us!

Hello folks, just bought my very first drone today (MA2) and looking for places to fly around Victoria.

Went through CASA website, open few maps (Ok2fly etc), and the issue is the map only show restricted air spaces. The other issue is with the local council law and regulations.

Now the question is, where can I legally fly my drone ? Any suggestions ? Planning to head down to the beach but dont know which one. Dont want to break any law or get any fine.

Thanks in advance!
Hi there I am in Melbourne & I use the Open Sky app
It goes through all the checks for you and tells you
If u r ok to fly
Happy flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member