DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New from Austin TX Area

sburke

Reactions
Hey guys,
Been lurking here for a couple of months and decided to join the forum. A buddy of mine gave me a toy drone for Xmas 2016 and i’ve been hooked ever since. Moved up to a Bugs 3 (which I still have blast with). Having said that i’ve had the MPP for about 3 months now. I’m very comfortable with the piloting of it though I’ve yet to have an emergency from which I would’ve needed to recover. I live near Lake Travis (close to Pace Bend Park) and would like to do a lot of flying around and over the lake. I read a lot of threads about props disengaging and/ or Mavics just dropping in mid flight. Is this a big concern? I really would prefer not to attach an after market flotation device to my drone. 61 yrs. old here. Wish we had these things 20 yrs. ago.

Reactions: vkm083185
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

I read a lot of threads about props disengaging and/ or Mavics just dropping in mid flight. Is this a big concern?
If you dig deeply into those threads, you'll see many of them involve some type of pilot error. If you don't take the time to learn your Mavic inside and out, then it could be a concern for you.

Good luck to you, fellow Texan. I'm in a rural area of Lavaca County, a great place to fly. I'd always be nervous over water. Be sure you've studied all the ramifications of RTH regarding being on or near water and always be sure you have time to get to shore. Be sure your choice of where HOME is works for each trip. Don't forget that when you're moving HOME can change, too. Enjoy. It is a very relaxing and beautiful hobby. One of my lovely sky high photos of our courthouse with lighting for the holidays was published in our local paper.

Reactions: survivor711
As I've said in another thread, the biggest thing is that you do your pre-flight inspection before every flight. Check the security and the integrity of the props, that the battery is secure, etc. And, to be extra-safe, you can get insurance like State Farm.

Thanks for the responses all. My pre-flight check:
  1. Remove gimbal clamp
  2. Check all props (I typically reseat them all)
  3. Verify battery is secure and fully charged
  4. Look at all sensors for any obstructions
  5. Turn controller, drone and app verifying that everything is normal on the status screen.
  6. Bring up map to verify drone indicator is pointing in the same direction as the drone and not deviating.
  7. Verify I'm in GPS mode with 10+ sats.
If all checks out, I'm good to go. Or............am i missing something?

Hey guys,
Been lurking here for a couple of months and decided to join the forum. A buddy of mine gave me a toy drone for Xmas 2016 and i’ve been hooked ever since. Moved up to a Bugs 3 (which I still have blast with). Having said that i’ve had the MPP for about 3 months now. I’m very comfortable with the piloting of it though I’ve yet to have an emergency from which I would’ve needed to recover. I live near Lake Travis (close to Pace Bend Park) and would like to do a lot of flying around and over the lake. I read a lot of threads about props disengaging and/ or Mavics just dropping in mid flight. Is this a big concern? I really would prefer not to attach an after market flotation device to my drone. 61 yrs. old here. Wish we had these things 20 yrs. ago.
Welcome from another Texan (N. Dallas/FTW)! Hope you enjoy the MPP. I jut got mine in yesterday and started flying around today. Long time quad/RCer, new to the MPP. I really like it so far. Have a great time!

Hey guys,

I too live on Lake Travis on the north side of the lake betwixt Jonestown and Lago, directly across from Hudson Bend, I have one of the first generation aftermarket flotation devices created by one of the fellow members on here and I generally use them when flying over water, which I do frequently. I have never had a problem that necessitated their use, but the peace of mind is nice. Especially fun when we hang out on the boat in Big Devil's Hollow (yeah, I know, everyone CALLS it Devil's Cove) or Sandy Creek Arm where the ziplines are. It's a blast when used "nautically".

Fellow Texan here also, West side of Houston. I too have MPP, never had any issues with it (as of yet). Welcome!

I too live on Lake Travis on the north side of the lake betwixt Jonestown and Lago, directly across from Hudson Bend, I have one of the first generation aftermarket flotation devices created by one of the fellow members on here and I generally use them when flying over water, which I do frequently. I have never had a problem that necessitated their use, but the peace of mind is nice. Especially fun when we hang out on the boat in Big Devil's Hollow (yeah, I know, everyone CALLS it Devil's Cove) or Sandy Creek Arm where the ziplines are. It's a blast when used "nautically".

Hello flyer - I live on the South side of Lake Travis and recently got a new Mavic. Having trouble connecting the aircraft with the controller. I'm not that familiar yet with all the systems. Any nearby flyers who might help? I've tried several things posted on internet without success. Thanks and Happy Landings.

There is a drone meetup group tomorrow at the 360 bridge. Look up Austin Done Meetup. 11-1. Lots of friendly and helpful people there. 5052 Plaza on the Lake.

Howdy, fellow Texans! I live at Canyon Lake, and I don't fly any differently over land or water...unless I fly closely to the water which effects the vision positioning system. My take on flying at my regular height is that it won't matter if it is over water or land - my bird will be damaged beyond repair.

I'm not wealthy, and it will take me 18 months(no interest) to pay my MP off at Best Buy. Even so, if I lose the bird either way, I will just fly my Phantom 4 until my wife calms down enough to allow me to add a new bird to our BB bill.

That meetup sounds cool, but I have other things planned. Hope there is enough interest for future meetups.

Last edited:
Hello Texans, I live in Driftwood. I lost a MPP just recently, and I do not understand why. It was flying perfectly, then it went down. I do not want to approach the land owner, even though its far in the country. I purchased another, however I am very cautious about flying too far. (range was not the issue) I would like to meet with you guys on the 2nd Saturday of the month and learn more.
Do you meet under the 360 bridge?

Hello Texans, I live in Driftwood. I lost a MPP just recently, and I do not understand why. It was flying perfectly, then it went down. I do not want to approach the land owner, even though its far in the country. I purchased another, however I am very cautious about flying too far. (range was not the issue) I would like to meet with you guys on the 2nd Saturday of the month and learn more.
Do you meet under the 360 bridge?
I wouldn't have hesitated to have contacted the land owner and tell him that your drone had gotten away from you. I'm sure it would go a different way, though, if you said you were purposely flying over his land and spying on him and his daughters.

Any meetups this weekend in Austin? I'm driving there this weekend to attend a graduation party. Planning on taking my Mavic Pro for scenic shots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan