DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New from downstate Illinois

tbk

Reactions
Hi all,
I'm new to drones but not new to flying, until I had to give up my medical a few years ago. I've always thought drones were kinda a neat "toy" but what would I ever do with one? Well, a friend started me down the rabbit hole a couple weeks ago and after a few rounds of "for only another hundred more, I could get <blank>" the next thing I knew, I was clicking on "buy" for a new Mavic Air Fly More. Man, was I ever wrong about drones.... This thing is a blast.

I've had it out a couple times last weekend, but it's still getting dark too early after work, and its been raining buckets anyway. But I hope to get it out again this weekend maybe.

So, my question is, what apps do you all consider "essential"? Weather? Airspace? (I live about 8 miles from a Class C airport, and multiple heliports scattered around -- at least three hospitals in a 10 mile radius).... Fill me in on what you use... just reading app store reviews, its like everything in life these days I guess.. Half the reviews for every app say "this app is the greatest thing since sliced bread" and the other half claim it's junk of the worst caliber.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic+Air/20180213/Mavic+Air+User+Manual+v1.2.pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

what apps do you all consider "essential"? Weather? Airspace?
I keep a list of commonly used apps here.

Hi all,
I'm new to drones but not new to flying, until I had to give up my medical a few years ago. I've always thought drones were kinda a neat "toy" but what would I ever do with one? Well, a friend started me down the rabbit hole a couple weeks ago and after a few rounds of "for only another hundred more, I could get <blank>" the next thing I knew, I was clicking on "buy" for a new Mavic Air Fly More. Man, was I ever wrong about drones.... This thing is a blast.

I've had it out a couple times last weekend, but it's still getting dark too early after work, and its been raining buckets anyway. But I hope to get it out again this weekend maybe.

So, my question is, what apps do you all consider "essential"? Weather? Airspace? (I live about 8 miles from a Class C airport, and multiple heliports scattered around -- at least three hospitals in a 10 mile radius).... Fill me in on what you use... just reading app store reviews, its like everything in life these days I guess.. Half the reviews for every app say "this app is the greatest thing since sliced bread" and the other half claim it's junk of the worst caliber.
Howdy from Wyoming @tbk , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welp, got the first crash out of the way, so I can stop wondering when it’s coming and relax now. Went out this morning, was a bit breezy but not too horrible, 8kts/g15. Was playing with the quick shots. Did a “dronie” and decided to try a circle. Started with the aircraft upwind (mistake #1) about 12 feet in front of me and about the time it got behind me I heard a prop hit a branch followed by a thud. Turned around and saw it lying on its back under a tree. Apparently the wind blew it back another 15 feet as it crossed behind me, into a tree. I knew it was there, but figured it should be making a 12 foot circle, and the tree 25 feet behind me was “safe” (mistake #2). Now I know different.

No damage beyond a scuff on the end of a prop and a bit of mud in one of the front landing gear. Was a little concerned when I picked it up, wiped it down and restarted the motors. The phone display showed a “motor obstructed” message but that went away after I shut the aircraft down and restarted it.

Flew fine for two more batteries worth, so I guess I got off lucky.

Welcome to Mavicpilots! I see you are from downstate Illinois. I live in Alton. Where are you at? Maybe we could get together.

Hey, not quite as downstate as you. I'm from around Peoria. Once the weather starts to get better I think I'll be looking for new and interesting places to go. You know, combine a nice day of convertible driving with a bit of flying...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB