DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEW from Polar Pro rc mount

here's a link to a new RC mount not yet released from PolarPro...; FlightDeck Universal Mount

Looks like a quality product, as you'd expect from Polar Pro, but still looks like it's going to obscure the RC screen, no matter how you arrange it. That's a bit of an issue for me, as I rely on some of the info on the RC screen and don't really want it obscured by my phone.

I'm currently using a clip-on mount that lets me put my phone still in its case (which is a big plus for me) just behind the RC screen, but the mount itself is slightly fiddly to fit and prevents the RC antennae folding flat if left attached. I think there has to be a design that doesn't obscure the RC screen and is either quick to fit/remove or lets the RC be neatly packed away with it still fitted, but I haven't found one yet that doesn't look like it'll break at the slightest bit of abuse.

Maybe having the "arm" of the phone/tablet holder wrap around the RC and pass between the antennae would work? Especially if it included a cable containment system from the central USB port to the screen.

Reactions: Turn11
Pause and RTH a couple of good ones.
Yes you have RTH on the display but IF you loose the display, all of a sudden the RC becomes pretty important.
Pause is a pretty good button to have access to if the cheese gets a little binding.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
What info on the RC screen is essential while flying?

Not so much "essential", so much as "nice to have"; it's a simple, easy to read display of all the more critical stuff you need to know. I'd actually prefer it if I could "declutter" the DJI Go screen a bit more and remove all the info that's on the RC, or maybe use the freed up space for displaying other things.

Also, it's enough info that you can use it to manually bring a drone home if you lose comms from DJI Go, even you're beyond VLOS (where that's permitted). A major plus, in my book.

I like to see the rc screen as well so I got this for holding my ipad
https://www.thorsdroneworld.com/product-page/lifthor-sif-xxl
I was looking at that type but it just seemed like too much stuff right around the antennas. I was afraid of interference problems. I can see the RC but moved the display the other direction. With a lanyard it is rather comftrable with the iPad resting on my arms.

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

Even with my homemade sunscreen I can still see the RC.

IMG_4302.jpg

Not so much "essential", so much as "nice to have"; it's a simple, easy to read display of all the more critical stuff you need to know. I'd actually prefer it if I could "declutter" the DJI Go screen a bit more and remove all the info that's on the RC, or maybe use the freed up space for displaying other things.

Also, it's enough info that you can use it to manually bring a drone home if you lose comms from DJI Go, even you're beyond VLOS (where that's permitted). A major plus, in my book.
You can put the app into full screen mode to declutter.

All the RC display needs that's missing is heading.

Reactions: Pioneer007
You can put the app into full screen mode to declutter.

All the RC display needs that's missing is heading.

True, and I sometimes do run in full screen mode, especially when flying more for flying's sake than capturing images/video. As I said, my main preference would be to remove the duplicated information in the App and replace it other things; more detailed camera settings mostly, and leave the rest blank.

The whole reason I started looking at mounts in the first place was the need to take my phone out of its case every time I use it, and it seemed a better option than getting a cheap/used phone just for the RC. Ergonomically, I'm fine with DJI's arrangement with the RC at the top (especially since this does not obstruct the antennae), so my ideal would probably just let me mount the phone, still in its case, just above the existing arms. A little control over the angle between RC and phone and the ability to leave it in situ while still providing a means to stash the joysticks would be a nice bonus.

I purchased the PolarPro FlightDeck. It does obscure the screen, but if this isn’t a issue for you, it’s one of the best design / built monitor mounts I have used. Because of the double pivot joints, it allows you to pivot the monitor forward/ backwards for perfect balance, then use the top pivot joint to tilt the screen for the best viewing angle. I also like the quick release plate system. I use a large Crystal Sky and a iPad Mini 4, so I like the ability to swap them out quickly and easily. Last, very few of the other monitor mounts I’ve purchased fold down to such a small footprint for easy storage.

As you can tell, I’m impressed.

I also sent PolarPro a suggestion to build a Arca tripod mount for the system. I thought this would give it more flexibility/options for those long multi battery flights.

jlh: I like the looks of the FlightDeck but can't tell how the tablet is held in place from the photos on their site. Can you post a photo of yours with a tablet attached? TIA...

jlh: I like the looks of the FlightDeck but can't tell how the tablet is held in place from the photos on their site. Can you post a photo of yours with a tablet attached? TIA...

Take a look at the video on their site. It show the tablet attachment.

Take a look at the video on their site. It show the tablet attachment.

Duh...as usual, I didn't scroll down far enough...thanks, dude. I liked it a lot so I ordered one and it's on the way. :) Let's see, that will be the third or fourth tablet mount that I've tried. <laughing> We shall see but I think it's gonna be the cat's meow.

Just received my flight deck. Everything seemed ok until I put the iPad on it. The screw or whatever that connects the base to the arm is wobbly. Just does not seem secure enough. I don't have an allen wrench that fits it either. Going to have to buy one and see if I can tighten that up Just a little disappointed. My $17 tablet mount feels more secure at this point.

Not acceptable like this. Just hope it will tighten up.

Here is another option out there for those using the DJI Crystalsky. Made by A Plus Drone and available on eBay. Used in conjunction with the DJI Crystalsky quick release bracket so no separate cable is required. You can view a video on YouTube.image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg