DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Guy here, Need a little help choosing

naw, leave it alone. your entire post was inane, and I have no obligation to respond to all of it, and it's not like it was taken out of context.. that was the entire emphasis of what you wrote.

What you quoted is incomplete and takes what you did quote unfairly out of context.

(...and in case you didn't realize it, forums work this way -- you quote the piece you want to respond to, then people can go back and read the rest of the forum posts if they want, to find out what "this case" was about...)

...and, since you brought up "taking things out of context.."

your response to what I wrote was framed like an argument, as if what I said was wrong, but then you didn't actually respond to what I actually wrote.. you made up an imaginary point to argue against. I didn't say anything about the Mini's response to steady wind. I was pointing out that, although the Mini *can* fly in high winds, its life is going to be shortened by doing so.

The Mini has produced some impressive videos of flying in 15 mph wind and staying stable, but the battery life and motor life will surely be reduced if you fly it regularly in wind. Replacing batteries and motors is expensive.

Drone weight by itself doesn't control it's response to steady wind. Propulsion power does. Granted there is a general correlation between power and size/weight.

Weight would have a factor in response to changing wind though, since weigh provides inertial stability.

Gee, I just stated an opposing view. I really don't think he needs to go as low as a sub $100 drone, especially if his budget makes the purchase of a Mini insignificant. And if he's also considering the M2P, it's quite likely the cost of the Mini isn't that great to him.

You can disagree with me if you like, but insulting me and saying I'm drunk was uncalled for.

If you're insulted, I'm sorry. I said I thought you were drunk, which, albeit perhaps insignificantly, is different than saying you are drunk.

It seemed like you were only intent on 'stating an opposing view,' rather than considering what I was saying, and responding to it.

For what it's worth, I've called people out online a couple of other times, for being drunk and saying ridiculous things, and they both laughed and admitted it.

Following the thread.
Inbetween the Mini and M2P aswell.
Price matter but not the most important issue, more curious if the mini range (CE-version) limit me much?

Will mostly be used during travel for some beautiful aerial shots, is the Mini sufficient for that? And also is the less features crucial for an amateur?
Never owned a drone before btw.

The Mini goes about 2 miles in ideal conditions, the M2 goes about 4. They're advertised as being able to go somewhat further, but in reality, we don't fly in ideal laboratory conditions.

As a first quadcopter, you really can't go wrong with either the Mini or the Mavic 2. Both of them are going to provide great photos and videos. The Mavic 2 is undeniably higher quality, but if you're just looking for beautiful aerial shots during travel, then the Mini could fit the bill.

The Mini is a fantastic machine. If you're looking for something that just works and takes photos, and you don't care that you only get .jpg and .mp4 files, the Mini could be great.

It has the 3-axis gimbal, and 2.7k video output. Your photos and video will be fairly high-quality, much better than most non-DJI drones, especially at this price range.

The video transmission from the drone to the controller won't be as stable on the Mini as it is on the M2, but it should suffice.

The M2 has sensors all around it, so that up, down, left, right, front, and back are all covered. The Mini has downward-facing sensors, so it can land and avoid obstacles under it, but it is not aware of its surroundings like the Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom are.

I purchased the MP2 because I've been flying drones for years, and I've started a business, and I wanted something that could produce professional content.

This is the first DJI product I've owned, and I'm quickly becoming a fanboy. The DJI platform just works great.

I think if you read most any of the conversations here about what drones are recommended for first-timers, you'll notice the same wisdom: buy a cheaper drone to learn with, and then move on to an expensive one. We are all speaking from experience here.

My firt drone was a Syma X5C+1. I bought it when it was about $110, and I flew it everywhere I went. I bought a lot of batteries, and ended up buying a lot of props and motors, because I was replacing the motors and props on an almost weekly basis, because I was always pushing the drone to its limits and pushing my new skills to the next level.

If you have the funds and really want to buy one now at Black Friday prices, it may be a good idea, but it would be great to buy your training drone at the same time.

Also, DJI is expected to release the Mavic 3 in January, so there would likely be some price advantages for the M2 once that happens.

Following the thread.
Inbetween the Mini and M2P aswell.
Price matter but not the most important issue, more curious if the mini range (CE-version) limit me much?

Will mostly be used during travel for some beautiful aerial shots, is the Mini sufficient for that? And also is the less features crucial for an amateur?
Never owned a drone before btw.

Hey guys, new guy here what with this black Friday thing at best buy I am ready to get my first drone and am stuck between 2 drones

I am in Florida and want to use it basically for when I go fishing and to take on vacations with me and the fam, I am no professional just a hobbyist
I am stuck on the Mavic Mini Fly more combo for $499.00 ( I realize they are miles apart) or the Mavic 2 Pro which right now is $1,379.00 due to Black Fridays sale at DJI
I know they are not apples to apples but when will the Mavic 2 Pro be at that price again what with the tariffs
I thought about the Mini for a while and then move up but that price point on the Pro right know is making me lean to the Pro

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
Pete
FWIW (for what its worth) I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. I have just ordered and have a Fed Ex tracking number of the Mavic 2 Pro from DDS DJI Drone Service. It's,a superior drone, from what I glean from the thousands of videos I've studied. I've been practicing with the Mavic Air for 1 1/2 years and am so glad I did. I've had two crashes- and two near losses. Both times I have been able to salvage the Mavic Air to fly another day. This 1 1/2 year plus experience was invaluable to me. I was sick to death when I crashed my last time. It took an hour to find it and that was by a miracle. I had already given up on it but my Madagascar guide was so persistent, he found it! I gave him a huge hug and a big tip at the end of the tour. During that hour I was feeling like SH..! When my guide came running out of the bush with my little red Mavic Air in his hand, I thought I was the luckiest guy in the world. If I had lost an $1800 drone I would have been depressed for a very long time and it would have absolutely ruined my entire trip to Madagascar.
So I think I would pass up the Black Friday sale and get a small drone (Mini or Air) to practice with for about 6 months to a year and catch the Black Friday sale next year in 2020. That one year practice will give you the experience to fly, try all of videos tricks, learn video editing, and Photoshop and get a great feeling about the drone.

Reactions: DDS
I appreciate everyone's input. I went with the Mavic 2 Pro simply because I did not want to end up with 2 drones by trying out the Mini first
I should of explained myself better as this is the first drone I have purchased but not the the first time I have operated one
I appreciate DDS offer of $100.00 off for forum members but I could not pass on zero interest for 18 months on my best buy card
I did get the DJI Refresh on the drone and will look into Farmers Ins a friend of a friend is a Farmers agent

Zero interest isn't relevant if you can afford to pay in full. A 10% rebate/cash back would be. And it would have to be around 10% to equate to $100. If you include tax free from DDS, savings from them vs BB is even greater.

Reactions: DDS
Zero interest isn't relevant if you can afford to pay in full. A 10% rebate/cash back would be. And it would have to be around 10% to equate to $100. If you include tax free from DDS, savings from them vs BB is even greater.
I disagree, anytime I can spend someone else money I will leave mine in the bank just like 0% car loan 0% balance transfer etc...
Sales tax is a non issue as the wife and I are visiting family in Oregon and there is no sales tax in Oregon

Reactions: Scouts
Hmm. 1% bank savings interest for 12 months saved for $1000 purchase comes to $10 vs $100 discount now.
I'll take the additional $90 now than having to wait a year to recoup the $10.

If it weren't for the $100 discount you're passing up, then you'd have a case.

Congrats OP! I too bought a M2P yesterday, $1099 refurbished on ebay.

To look at our situation in a glass half empty way, it's possible that M2s will be selling for 900 bucks in a month from now, and we'll regret not waiting for the Mavic 3 or Evo 2.

But I suppose I'll just end up waiting for the Mavic 4, or get the Mavic 3 when it's $999 or something.

Anyway, I'm as excited as you to start this new drone hobby.

Hey guys, new guy here what with this black Friday thing at best buy I am ready to get my first drone and am stuck between 2 drones

I am in Florida and want to use it basically for when I go fishing and to take on vacations with me and the fam, I am no professional just a hobbyist
I am stuck on the Mavic Mini Fly more combo for $499.00 ( I realize they are miles apart) or the Mavic 2 Pro which right now is $1,379.00 due to Black Fridays sale at DJI
I know they are not apples to apples but when will the Mavic 2 Pro be at that price again what with the tariffs
I thought about the Mini for a while and then move up but that price point on the Pro right know is making me lean to the Pro

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
Pete
Navarre Beach here...... thought you may enjoy this ??73291BF7-06FF-4407-8944-85E5BCB46680.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird