DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New here from Honolulu, Hawaii

rhed6

Reactions
Hello and Aloha..
Been interested in a drone for over a year now. Though, never got a chance to purchase one. I’ve done lots of stills only with my DSLR. Some video. Mostly for the hobby. Now I’m looking to take it airborne. Done some research with FAA rules, requirements. Lurked on this forum a lot and learn some. I‘ve still got time before I make a purchase. Probably pull the trigger in around January or February time. Right after the holidays and a long vacation trip coming up. Thanks all for this awesome forum. I learned and still learning a lot.

Mahalo

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Reactions: Thomas B and rhed6
Hello and welcome to the site! Hawaii looks like it would be a beautiful place for some great aerial photography. I’ve always thought it would be cool to fly around one of the lava flows or something like that and be able to get some great video that I’d be to afraid to get otherwise. This site contains a wealth of multi-rotor information and there’s a lot of knowledgeable pilots on here. Do a lot of research on which aircraft to purchase based on your preferences and wants/needs. Good luck to you, r/c model aviation is one great hobby to take up!

Reactions: rhed6
Thanks all for the kind welcome. Having a little staycation at Waikiki with the family for the Thanksgiving weekend at the Hale Koa hotel. Hotel next door is the Hilton. And every Friday’s at 7:45 pm, they put out a fireworks show right outside their lagoon near the beach. Lots of beach goers and tourists near by come to watch all the time. Ive seen this fireworks show way over a dozen times in the past. Over the past few years we‘ve watch the show, I’ve seen a few drones out to video or take photos of the show. Last night, was set out on the beach with my tripod and Canon EOS R/ 16-35 lens. Getting ready for a 3 sec exposure still shots. See a guy getting his drone ready. My guess looked like a Inspire 2. Anyways that things a beast. Yet looks ( Mod Removed Langage) at the same time. And it took off with authorit. Never got chance to talk to the guy. Though, their was 2 other drones in flight as well too. But I must say, that must be the best way to video or photo shoot a fireworks show. Anyways, since last night it got me back interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to this forum from Chicago the Windy city. I was in Hawaii last year on a cruise, and was denied bringing my drone on board. Just curious about restriction's
about flying on the islands? You mentioned seeing other drones.
Do you think they got permission to fly? Besides this forum, once you get your drone, you can get help with any issues that come up. By clicking on Mavic Help also on Mavic tips. Had a great time when I was on the islands. Visited all four, took picture's with my Nikon DSLR, and the Osmo 2 with cell phone.
Blue Sky's and safe flying.

Welcome to this forum from Chicago the Windy city. I was in Hawaii last year on a cruise, and was denied bringing my drone on board. Just curious about restriction's
about flying on the islands? You mentioned seeing other drones.
Do you think they got permission to fly? Besides this forum, once you get your drone, you can get help with any issues that come up. By clicking on Mavic Help also on Mavic tips. Had a great time when I was on the islands. Visited all four, took picture's with my Nikon DSLR, and the Osmo 2 with cell phone.
Blue Sky's and safe flying.
Yea if you’re talking about going aboard a cruise ship or boat here in Hawaii, they won’t allow it. And pending what island and which side. Lots of low flying crafts helicopters (tours) mostly and single prop planes (for parachutists) around the Hawaiian waters. Drone operators that filmed the fireworks is on the beach not on the boat. That area is gtg for uav’s according to the B4UFLY app.

0CAA9249-467A-468B-B35C-9395933A352F.png

I found this on Youtube. The operator filmed the Hilton fireworks show that I was talking about. That happens every Friday nights. This is the east side of Oahu. Great videography well done..

You might check out my website, oahupictures.org, to see where it’s possible to fly. My goal is to video as much of the shoreline as possible. Some areas (e.g., near the Marine Base), are more restrictive now than when I videoed them, but, with LAANC, other areas not yet included on my site are more accessible. I plan to include them in the coming weeks.

You might check out my website, oahupictures.org, to see where it’s possible to fly. My goal is to video as much of the shoreline as possible. Some areas (e.g., near the Marine Base), are more restrictive now than when I videoed them, but, with LAANC, other areas not yet included on my site are more accessible. I plan to include them in the coming weeks.
Thanks for your link..

Very nicely done cinematic filming. My wife and I loves it. She and my son still watching some of the videos atm.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload