DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Legs for my new Air 2

Ron0909

Reactions
Hi everyone,

As a new pilot I did a whack of reading before getting my drone. The thing that got to me a lot was the price of a replacement gimbal and camera and how fragile they are. I took it to heart and immediatly ordered some of these legs and then a landing pad. I've seen these advertised on Aliexpress, Ebay and Amazon but haven't seen anyone mention them. The legs came in today and I gotta say...I love them! Off the drone they have a bit of flex accross the length of them but mounted they are solid as can be. These legs hook on immediatly behind the gimbal and into the rear vents on both sides. Unfortunately the legs can't remain on and fold the arms but its no bother to remove them in seconds. Storing is simple as each leg is foldable into a flat position. At 24 grams, they shouldn't cause any issues but I will give them a test run tomorrow (not that I have much experience to judge by :)) They are made by Sunnylife, I believe the same manufacturers as a rubberized gimbal hood I saw someone mention here for a Mini 3. If they have been posted before, please forgive me. I still feel like a kid at christmas when new toys come in.

Attachments

• legs1.jpg
    legs1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 71
  • legs2.jpg
    legs2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 75
  • legs3.jpg
    legs3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 71
  • legs4.jpg
    legs4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 76
Picture 3 looks like a crab to me. 🦀

I see weird things sometimes. 😃

@Ron0909 that's called giving your drone a leg up ,make sure you have a good GPS lock before you take off ,in case the drone decided to leg it out of there ;););););)

It does kinda look like a crab! Now that that's imprinted on my brain...I should have bought the all grey legs :) In regard to being tippy, on a flat surface it's pretty stable and when the legs are unfolded they click into place really well. Being plastic, they'll probably wear out after awhile. I was thinking of adding soft rubber feet somehow to give them a wee bit of grip. I'm going out on Saturday and let you know how they performed. If they stink it was a cheap lesson!

1684010767279.jpeg
I use the ski type landing gear.
The gear is very light, very cheap and can be fitted or removed in seconds. It is similar to yours as far as landing on the ground is concerned but it's probably a bit easier to grasp for hand landing.
For hand landing I fly the drone to about 1.5 metres in front of me and about 0.5 m above my head height. When it is settled into a hover I step forward and reach up to hold the drone gently by the landing gear and stop the motors by pushing the left stick down to the bottom. If you change to Sport Mode shortly beforehand the avoidance sensors are disabled (on the MA2 anyway).

Howard, thanks for the hand landing tips. I can see the ski type legs would be easier to grasp. What kind of skin do you have there? It sure looks great and I bet the visibility is fantastic. I ordered some that are coming soon but opted for yellows.

Reactions: Freya and RodPad
Howard, thanks for the hand landing tips. I can see the ski type legs would be easier to grasp. What kind of skin do you have there? It sure looks great and I bet the visibility is fantastic. I ordered some that are coming soon but opted for yellows.
The skin came from DroneWrapz in Glasgow, Scotland. Ordered from their website, it arrived by post very quickly (I'm in South Africa).

Catching up, I bought some glow in the dark tape. I have been thinking about it on a bird. When I seen the green machine, well I looked nothing was said about glow in the dark. I have found my P3A after dark.

Rod..

Hi everyone,

As a new pilot I did a whack of reading before getting my drone. The thing that got to me a lot was the price of a replacement gimbal and camera and how fragile they are. I took it to heart and immediatly ordered some of these legs and then a landing pad. I've seen these advertised on Aliexpress, Ebay and Amazon but haven't seen anyone mention them. The legs came in today and I gotta say...I love them! Off the drone they have a bit of flex accross the length of them but mounted they are solid as can be. These legs hook on immediatly behind the gimbal and into the rear vents on both sides. Unfortunately the legs can't remain on and fold the arms but its no bother to remove them in seconds. Storing is simple as each leg is foldable into a flat position. At 24 grams, they shouldn't cause any issues but I will give them a test run tomorrow (not that I have much experience to judge by :)) They are made by Sunnylife, I believe the same manufacturers as a rubberized gimbal hood I saw someone mention here for a Mini 3. If they have been posted before, please forgive me. I still feel like a kid at christmas when new toys come in.
I have some I purchased they go on the front and rear motor arms, they're very very sturdy and made well in full down or keep them up either way it gives you a little bit more height and stability with them being at the extremities. Yeah I definitely think that they sit a little bit too low to the ground without them...

I have some I purchased they go on the front and rear motor arms, they're very very sturdy and made well in full down or keep them up either way it gives you a little bit more height and stability with them being at the extremities. Yeah I definitely think that they sit a little bit too low to the ground without them...
Oh yeah I'm 57 years old I'm still like a little kid when I have something like that come in 😂

Reactions: Ron0909
Yeah, I have the same or similar as yours, and they work very well too. Also have a sled type that's part of a release mechanism.
Would recommend leg extensions of either these or the sled variety for the Mavic drones that can benefit from such.

I don’t personally see the advantage to landing gear legs at all. If you land in any kind of turf or grass the gimbal still gets down into the terrain. And if you land on any surface other than level there’s a distinct possibility of tipping over. I hand catch 99% off the time. It’s just easier.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan