Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air owner with remote controller issues

indycoltsfan

Reactions
Problem? Remote controller won't charge, show battery level, or turn on

Was unit in a crash? No, it has never flown

What have you tried so far? See below

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Mavic Air. Haven't been able to connect iPhone yet.

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Unsure.

What Go app version are you using? 4

Any modification?
(if so what) None

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) I can possibly make a video later today

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I recently bought a Mavic Air (Target had a really nice sale) and was finally able to unbox it last night and charge everything hoping to get my first flight in this weekend. Based on the research I've done and the forum posts I've read, I suspect the controller is dead and DJI will need to swap it out. I did open a support request via email this morning, but it seems that their support only operates through the week and I was hoping I missed something and you folks could point that out so I can try to fly this weekend. :)

Here is the email I sent DJI support:

"I recently purchased a Mavic Air and decided to unbox it and charge everything in order to try my first flight this weekend. Using the included charger, the Mavic Air's battery seems to have charged fine within an hour. However, the remote controller is not charging at all. I am using the USB-C to microUSB adapter on the port on the side of the controller and then plug a USB to USB-C cable into the AC adapter and the adapter. The battery lights on the controller will briefly flash and then turn off - I thought maybe that meant the battery had a full charge, but pressing the power button on the remote does NOT show battery level, nor does double pressing and holding turn the remote on.

I have tried the following to assist in troubleshooting: 1) I tried charging with a USB to microUSB adapter and the charge lights remain off 2) I left the controller plugged in overnight and I still cannot see the battery indicators after pressing the power button, nor will the controller turn on. 3) I have tried different USB ports on the AC adapter."

When I first plug power into the remote, the first battery light flashes, then it all four flash, and this pattern repeats a couple of times and the lights turn off. As I mention above, a single press on the power button does not show the battery levels. I did a double tap and hold because I understand that turns the controller on, and nothing happens. Am I right in believing the remote is dead and needs to be replaced? I could return the whole thing to Target, but I'm not sure they have a replacement in stock and I'd rather just get the remote replacement at this stage.

Thanks!

Attached is a photo of the correct cabeling to charge the RC, the DJI logo should face upwards on the small adapter that joins the USBc cable to the RC. There should be no connection to the USB port in the lower center of the RC when opened for your phone/tablet. If that does not work I think you have a case of DOA (Dead on arrival).
Good luck.76196

Sorry, I should've updated the post - the remote was dead and DJI asked me to send it in for repair or to send the entire bundle in to be swapped out. Since I was still under my return/exchange window with Target, I swapped out the whole bundle and everything works as expected. Thanks

Sorry, I should've updated the post - the remote was dead and DJI asked me to send it in for repair or to send the entire bundle in to be swapped out. Since I was still under my return/exchange window with Target, I swapped out the whole bundle and everything works as expected. Thanks
I got a DJI Spark at Bestbuy, but had problems with the gimbal pitch motion. I was going to send it to DJI, but then realized that I was still within my return period - they had extended return window, since it was Christmas time. I returned it as defective for credit, since they had just announced the Mavic Air, and then ordered the FMC version as soon as they became available. It seems most places won't accept a return if you've already opened the box, so being able to return it to the store was a big factor in buying from them, and will be when I move up to an M2Z or something comparable. I can see how people might abuse that policy, but if you have a defective unit, I'd rather get it replaced locally than have to deal with the manufacturer.

Glad to hear Target took it back! Welcome to the world of Mavic Air - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. This group is extremely helpful if you have questions or issues. Even if you read the manual cover to cover, there are still a LOT of things to learn about this quadcopter...I've had mine for over a year, and am still learning!

Thanks. Yeah, Target had a sale a couple of weeks ago where the base Mavic Air kit was $549 and I had to jump on it. I’ve had some struggles (the remote issue I mentioned in this thread and I fought with updating the NFZ for a long time and finally resolved it) but I love flying this bird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998