DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Low Noise Props - TESTED - Longer and quieter ?

Thank you.
I'm getting tired of all the expert assumption opinions that sound is measured in linear units and a decrease of "only" a few dB is insignificant. :rolleyes:
Yes the word you are looking for is logarithmic. Decibels are logarithmic:p

Reactions: KiterTodd
Thank you.
I'm getting tired of all the expert assumption opinions that sound is measured in linear units and a decrease of "only" a few dB is insignificant. :rolleyes:
It's noticeably quieter and that's all that's important to me and the rest of the sane world.

It's noticeably quieter and that's all that's important to me and the rest of the sane world.

Exactly right.Testing in a controlled environment is fine (and necessary) for defining specs, but the real world isn't a controlled environment. It's -all- about perception. We're only human, after all.

Exactly right.Testing in a controlled environment is fine (and necessary) for defining specs, but the real world isn't a controlled environment. It's -all- about perception. We're only human, after all.

Don't put the blame on me

Reactions: leskent
Word on the street ( aka YouTube Avenue) from several testers is that they are quieter with only slight improvement in flight time. The tests I have heard definitely show the prop noise is a lower pitch and a bit quieter.

The end of the props are a lot thinner so I reckon they'll be more prone to damage, that's my only concern. Else I love 'em

Reactions: Mako79
I got mine from DJI direct. Took about 4 days to deliver to Oz

Smart. Was there a minimum charge for free delivery??
I am still waiting on mine from Rise Above Aerials. They said end of Sep originally. It has now been pushed back to mid October.

I was amazed at the drop in RPMs also. This means the props are more efficient (in hovering - in motion yet to be proven).

Last edited:
I paid for delivery.
Smart. Was there a minimum charge for free delivery??
I am still waiting on mine from Rise Above Aerials. They said end of Sep originally. It has now been pushed back to mid October.

I was amazed at the drop in RPMs also. This means the props are more efficient (in hovering - in motion yet to be proven).

I used to buy all my stuff from Rise Above to keep it local and all that good stuff but I have found DJI direct much quicker.

A note about Rise Above. I have emailed them in the past to enquire about potential purchases in the past only to find out that when they come back in stock they just ship the item without me paying for it and then send an invoice for the item without me actually confirming I want to purchase it. Has happened twice before. Strange way of doing business. I have ordered quite a bit from them in the past and have no problems with them.

We're only human, after all.

Speak for yourself.
77-extraterrestrial-alien.png

Reactions: MarcelKoks
Prop design is big factor in performance.
DJI revisiting the design and making it better is commendable. I have no doubt that it is quieter but often there are trade offs.

The lower RPM is due to greater pitch angle of the prop but that does not necessarily mean a power savings as the torque requirement is increased and therefore the motors are drawing more current for any given RPM.

If the motors can handle it the top speed should increase but that is not a given as the motors may cap out at a lower RPM. Also heating issues may occur sooner if driven hard.

I am looking forward to a long distance test comparison at full throttle. That should reveal a lot of useful data.

Rob

I'm wondering if the lower RPM of the props are going to affect the stability. The faster the props the quicker the the drone can react. pretty sure DJI are way smarter than me. One day I'm sure we'll get variable pitch. Looking forward to the day my Mavic can go inverted (Ex-R/C heli pilot)

Reactions: Nephiliam
I'm wondering if the lower RPM of the props are going to affect the stability. The faster the props the quicker the the drone can react. pretty sure DJI are way smarter than me. One day I'm sure we'll get variable pitch. Looking forward to the day my Mavic can go inverted (Ex-R/C heli pilot)

I don't think this will ever happen. People have hacked them to do such things but the gimbel was never designed for this type of flying

Then you know what symmetrical blades mean...Mav would have about 10 min flighttime.

Prop design is big factor in performance.
DJI revisiting the design and making it better is commendable. I have no doubt that it is quieter but often there are trade offs.

The lower RPM is due to greater pitch angle of the prop but that does not necessarily mean a power savings as the torque requirement is increased and therefore the motors are drawing more current for any given RPM.

If the motors can handle it the top speed should increase but that is not a given as the motors may cap out at a lower RPM. Also heating issues may occur sooner if driven hard.

I am looking forward to a long distance test comparison at full throttle. That should reveal a lot of useful data.

Rob

In my limited testing the new propeller seems more efficient for a stock mavic running at 32mph, but doesn't do so well when Mavic is loaded down with heavy external batteries. The pitch is too high for heavy load. Stock Mavic in sports mode doesn't look good either. The voltage sags a bit more at high speed due to aggressive pitch. I had my mavic go into Landing mode at 23% battery. Once I let off throttle, landing mode stopped. I've never had that happen with the stock propellers. Anyway, I need to do more testing, but my Mavic needs repair due to ESC error. Initially I thought ESC error was due to new propellers, but now I'm thinking it's unrelated and more likely broken motor wire.

Tests so far seem to be showing between 1 and maybe maybe 3 db difference in noise. Although from what i've seen so far, not a single person has done a properly controlled test with properly calibrated measuring devices so its impossible to get an actual figure.

Tests also have to be run multiple times to reduce noise such as the charge not being 100% accurate,wind, weather, transmission power causing current drain etc.

That aside, a 1 to 3 db reduction is going to be completely imperceptible for a humans ear in terms of loudness.

A 3db reduction you will notice the difference. Noise levels measured in db is misleading. Noise DOUBLES in sound level and pressure for every 7 db rise measured.

Really, so you did a properly controlled, repeated, blind test,and came to this conclusion?
Or do you just think you might have heard a difference, completely failed to eliminate placebo or confirmation bias and convinced yourself its true?

That's a smart arse argumentative comment!

That aside, a 1 to 3 db reduction is going to be completely imperceptible for a humans ear in terms of loudness.

1db, yes, but 3db is a factor of two and definitely perceptible -- that's why many sound measurements for filters, etc., quote the -3db point(s).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne