DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Low Noise Props - TESTED - Longer and quieter ?

Tested mine yesterday... (Mavic Pro with latest firmware and new props)

NOISE
Used a mobile phone app to do noise test (not very scientific, I know).

Hovering at 3ft. Measurement taken 8ft away from drone.
Old props: 58dB
New props: 54dB

I could definitely hear a difference. The pitch is also lower.

FLIGHT TIME
Hover at 3 ft. No stick inputs throughout test.
Time from take off to 30% battery low warning:
Old: 17:10
New: 17:24

Take off to 10% battery:
Old: 21:32
New: 21:54

Take off to auto landing at 0%:
Old: 24:18
New: 24:52

I will have to repeat the test multiple times to get better averages, but I guess the flight time gain is not going to be huge in the field.

Did anyone buy them off dji website ? And if so how long did it take you to get them ?

I did, they said that were in stock, that was almost 2 weeks ago. So, they are not in stock.
Payment shows being accepted, not yet shipped.

Really I ordered them the second day there had been released and I haven't got them it said 10-15 days after payment. How did you end up with them so fast

My friend also ordered them the day before I did. he got them a week ago. Go figure.

Iv had my new props for a few days now and i can really hear the difference. A lot quieter i must say.

Reactions: Mavic 57

NOISE

FLIGHT TIME

Take off to 10% battery:

I will have to repeat the test multiple times to get better averages, but I guess the flight time gain is not going to be huge in the field.
Wow, a whopping 14 seconds more flying time. Wood Dee Doo

Reactions: cderoche and CX15
Wow, a whopping 14 seconds more flying time. Wood Dee Doo

I don't think anyone was expecting the extra flight time to be significant (it's easier to just stick in a fresh battery anyway). But *any* noticeable reduction in noise is a major plus. The noise of drones is their biggest negative, especially to those who are not the owner/pilot.

Reactions: cderoche

Thanks for the data. Did you use 2 different batteries or recharge the first one? Repeating the test in the opposite order (i.e. swapping batteries to props this time, or changing from new to old instead of old then new) might give more insight. In case you're bored and up for additional work :)

Reactions: lion and CX15

NOISE

FLIGHT TIME

Take off to 10% battery:

You'll likely see more benefit with new propeller when flying at speed.

db is a log scale because human hearing is logarithmic. While 3db represents a 2x difference in energy, most current standards for nominal human hearing can only discern a difference in volume change of 3 db. That has been the typical standard for thresholds of perceptions for the 90 percentile human.

Kevin Morris
Electronic Engineering Journal

Reactions: mfc
Yes, especially when using external batteries. May need to mod the motors for extra cooling.

It was just your motor heating up right the ESC was fine if I recall in the other thread? (so many dog gone threads on new props!)

Just got my battery mod adapter in from MaxxUAV and a big 4000mah LiHV multistar, and was wondering if the motors were getting hot from just one external pack? I think you had both on your Mavic when the motor overheated right?

It was just your motor heating up right the ESC was fine if I recall in the other thread? (so many dog gone threads on new props!)

Just got my battery mod adapter in from MaxxUAV and a big 4000mah LiHV multistar, and was wondering if the motors were getting hot from just one external pack? I think you had both on your Mavic when the motor overheated right?

My issue had nothing to do with esc or motor. It was a wire that got broken from all the folding of the arm combined with poor routing due to my battery mod wires in the way.

Edit: I should add that 1 external will work fine with new props. If you run 2 4000s then it's better to use old propellers.

Reactions: cderoche
£20 for a quieter life, that'll do nicely. Thats all I need to know.

£1200 for an even quieter life, that won't do nicely.

One day my £20 props will arrive, ordered 27/09/17 direct from DJI.

Reactions: cdir and cderoche
My issue had nothing to do with esc or motor. It was a wire that got broken from all the folding of the arm combined with poor routing due to my battery mod wires in the way.

Edit: I should add that 1 external will work fine with new props. If you run 2 4000s then it's better to use old propellers.

Oh good! I feel better now before ordering new props.
My fault... I assumed you used the store bought adapter, didn't realize you did the solder on internal mod.

People really should stop falling for marketing gimmicks, and this is all it is, so the new props sounds quiter, really???? Who cares, get a grip!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas