DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro Platinum Combo Owner

Hello Mauro. I am from SoCal area as well and I have flown in Newport Beach several times. The place where I normally fly is at the end of Balboa Blvd. There is a small park and it is also right next to the Entrance Channel. If you look at Google map, you will see that is a very cool place to fly.

First, I suggest that you get to know your drone and its capabilities by flying only at the park there or nearby beach. Don't fly over the water yet and it's better to start in beginner mode.

Second, start to learn about wind flow. It may feel like a relaxing breeze on ground level but it may be like a hurricane when the drone is 400ft up. Especially at open space areas like beaches, wind is strong most of the time. Watch for battery level and take wind flow into consideration to make sure that your drone has enough power to return home.

Third, once you feel confident, you can start flying out a little. At this point, you will see this place is a great place to fly drones. With Mavic capabilities, you will be able to fly over to Corona Del Mar which is right across the channel. You will also be able to fly over to Balboa Island and Newport Bay. Small cruise ships, boats, canoes... come in and out of the channel very frequently so you will be able to get some very good footages here.

I recommend this place since it is in Newport Beach so you don't have to drive far. Plus, it's like an all in one package for you. You can start as a beginner here and as you move up, you will find this place even more interesting. Trust me, this place is not boring like a local park.

I have seen seals a couple times there as well.

thank you very much, last night I saw videos of Newport Beach on youtube, thank you for your advice, start with my drone in beginner mode as you say, thank my friend. MauroThumbswayup

Mauro,
I would be doing you a disservice by not recommending that you practice with a pre owned regular mavic pro, which i happen to have.
Please redirect your platinum version to me, and we will go from there.

PS make sure dji removed all efuses and locks, loads fw.400 and puts a micro USB jack on it. [emoji16]

Reactions: cajak1967
[Quote = "Bonzo, posta: 296695, membro: 16366"] Mauro,
Sarei facendo un disservizio, non raccomandando che si pratica con un pre posseduto regolare pro Mavic, che mi capita di avere.
Si prega di reindirizzare la versione platino per me, e andremo da lì.

PS assicurarsi dji rimossi tutti efuses e serrature, carichi fw.400 e mette una presa USB micro su di esso. [Emoji16] [/ QUOTE]

okThumbswayup

Welcome Mauro!

Good evening, my name is Mauro of Newport Beach, I'm deaf, I have cochlear implant, I live only 4 years in Newport Beach, I speak little English because I became deaf 2 years ago. I bought the new Mavic Pro Platinum combo, and three accessories, I had it in pre-order, should arrive at the end of September, maximum October 15, I do not have drone experience, and my first drone, I would like to know friends here so help me in my first flight to see the sharks, or a place where you can fly. When my mavic comes, I write on my post. Thank you Friends, my name Mauro.Thumbswayup
Howdy from Wyoming cajak1967, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Good evening, my name is Mauro of Newport Beach, I'm deaf, I have cochlear implant, I live only 4 years in Newport Beach, I speak little English because I became deaf 2 years ago. I bought the new Mavic Pro Platinum combo, and three accessories, I had it in pre-order, should arrive at the end of September, maximum October 15, I do not have drone experience, and my first drone, I would like to know friends here so help me in my first flight to see the sharks, or a place where you can fly. When my mavic comes, I write on my post. Thank you Friends, my name Mauro.Thumbswayup

Welcome Mauro! Just off the cliffs at La Jolla there are usually a lot of sharks swimming around. My son lives in San Diego and goes there for the sharks. Around the northern end of Coast Walk Trail the waters are relatively shallow and you can make out the sharks from above.

Welcome Mauro,

Enjoy your Mavic and practice before attempting any shark watching or flying over water. Also, please consider adopting your next dog as supporting breeders is a negative effect on the world's pet population. Fly safely.

Reactions: Dw911 and Advexure
Hello Mauro. I am from SoCal area as well and I have flown in Newport Beach several times. The place where I normally fly is at the end of Balboa Blvd. There is a small park and it is also right next to the Entrance Channel. If you look at Google map, you will see that is a very cool place to fly.

First, I suggest that you get to know your drone and its capabilities by flying only at the park there or nearby beach. Don't fly over the water yet and it's better to start in beginner mode.

Second, start to learn about wind flow. It may feel like a relaxing breeze on ground level but it may be like a hurricane when the drone is 400ft up. Especially at open space areas like beaches, wind is strong most of the time. Watch for battery level and take wind flow into consideration to make sure that your drone has enough power to return home.

Third, once you feel confident, you can start flying out a little. At this point, you will see this place is a great place to fly drones. With Mavic capabilities, you will be able to fly over to Corona Del Mar which is right across the channel. You will also be able to fly over to Balboa Island and Newport Bay. Small cruise ships, boats, canoes... come in and out of the channel very frequently so you will be able to get some very good footages here.

I recommend this place since it is in Newport Beach so you don't have to drive far. Plus, it's like an all in one package for you. You can start as a beginner here and as you move up, you will find this place even more interesting. Trust me, this place is not boring like a local park.

I have seen seals a couple times there as well.
Can you send me an address or Google map coordinates? I am very interested in flying there. Thanks

Welcome Mauro! Just off the cliffs at La Jolla there are usually a lot of sharks swimming around. My son lives in San Diego and goes there for the sharks. Around the northern end of Coast Walk Trail the waters are relatively shallow and you can make out the sharks from above.

thank's my friendThumbswayup

You're most welcome Mauro, and thanks for your experience with the cochlear, I have be told sometimes doing one side is enough to make a huge difference in quality of hearing.

Yes, I live in Australia, Adelaide in the state of South Australia.
The start of this Expedia video shows location, and for a 5 min video shows a lot of our beautiful coastal city.

I have only had the Mavic for about 4 months, some of that time it has been to DJI back for gimbal problem, which is all good now.
We're having a big stormy / rainy end to winter at the moment, lots of wind too, so have not had a chance to test and fly again :(

Also not much time to really develop my video editing skills, I haven't even put one together yet !!
But I'm a fast learner and hope to edit the vids I've taken so far very soon and keep taking footage to together some vision of South Australia and Australia in general.

It would be good to one days ee your video of the sharks you want to film.
All the best with your flying.

Thanks for the great video, I'm another SA based mavic owner. Up in the Adelaide hills

Hi Pietros, that was just an Expedia vid in Adelaide to show Mauro.
We might have to have an SA / Adelaide meet up sometime, seems to be quite a few on here.
Have you visited the forum Australia section ?
There's a good Adelaide members thread there.

this video on youtube, the difference between Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum, of a Chinese boy, seems to me to see the most beautiful camera video, but I do not understand whether Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum.

The only thing I would add to the good advice above is study the latest version of the manual available at dji.com, YouTube videos on getting started and settings and then connect the controller to the mavic and play with the controller settings since many aren't accessible on the go4 app when not connected. Just don't start the motors while doing this. Best wishes.
You might want to add a simple pre- flight check list. Somebody posted one here before which was pretty useful. Fly safe - Enjoy !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13