DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini 2 Owner Questions

Welcome @tekgirl02 and congrats on the Mini2 which I also own and love to fly. The Pilot Institute video linked above is an excellent resource. I also recommend this video from UAV Coach: [Edit: welp, I apparently don't know how to attach a video. It's titled Use These 15 Drone Training Exercises to Learn How to Fly a Drone]

I've also learned a lot from YouTubers 51Drones, Jeven Dovey, and FlytPath.

Happy (and safe) flying!

Kevin
Thank you so much, Kevin! I love Jeven and now 51Drones. I’ll check out FlytPath and the video you recommended. I appreciate the advice…

@tekgirl02

Lots of good advice already. The only thing I would add is to set your distances in the Safety section of the FLY app to very small numbers. This will keep the drone close in the event you get a little crazy with the sticks ! 😀

These are the settings I’m using with my M3 until I get used to it even though I’ve had a fair bit of flight time with a number of different drones including a Mini 2

Welcome to the forum and drone ownership.

Oh yeh don’t forget to breathe!! 😎

View attachment 140959
Thank you so much! I’ll definitely set my distances to small numbers at first! I appreciate you sharing your settings!

Paige

Reactions: Etdronehome
Thank you so much! I’ll definitely set my distances to small numbers at first! I appreciate you sharing your settings!

Paige
Notice mine are in meters and I would suggest you start very close and adjust out as you progress. The drone just stops flying in whatever direction it hits the limit you set.

I would also recommend learning how to use your phones screen record function. My IPhone can also record sound so I can narrate a bit about what I’m doing. Nice to be able to review after the flight at your leisure.

Reactions: tekgirl02
Hi Tekgirl,
I had the same fears, just bought a mini 2 yesterday. I've been watching videos for a while, but you have to just do it, lol. I did find a vid from UAV coach on practicing control, I found it very good. Heres a link...

I did my 1st flight this morning, a little nerve racking but all went well. Heres what helped me. Pick a large area that you are extremely familiar with. I did my flight by the camera, I only watched the drone when landing.
Best advice I saw so far, if you get into trouble, let go of the control sticks. The drone just hovers then. Get composed and start again. Next would be to limit height and distance for initial flights. My next 2 flights went great, started moving around things. Slow and easy wins.
Heres a pic of learning area, the plywood is my landing pad....
dji_export_1640896785203.jpg

Good luck and have fun.

Notice mine are in meters and I would suggest you start very close and adjust out as you progress. The drone just stops flying in whatever direction it hits the limit you set.

I would also recommend learning how to use your phones screen record function. My IPhone can also record sound so I can narrate a bit about what I’m doing. Nice to be able to review after the flight at your leisure.
Yes I noticed 😊 I know how to screen record, but I have never used the sound with it…I have an iPhone Pro Max 13.

Reactions: Etdronehome
I’ll let you know when I take my first flight 😊 I’m sure it’s not as difficult as I’m imagining…I’m just a fanatic about learning to use whatever technology I have, in the right way 😊😊

I’ll let you know when I take my first flight 😊 I’m sure it’s not as difficult as I’m imagining…I’m just a fanatic about learning to use whatever technology I have, in the right way 😊😊
Yes I know the feeling, I was the same when I started.😀

You have already gotten some really valuable advice...if you can find someone else who flies already, it would be good if you can get them to accompany you on a few flights....one other thing would be to go into your settings and slow down all reactions for turns, gimbal, etc...it is easier to handle and takes better video....I have been flying almost a year...but not often and I still stick to days with virtually no wind, I still stick to wide open spaces, and I try to fly with someone else who is experienced...that is a big help in keeping an eye on the drone....become very familiar with how Return to home works and go have some fun...best of luck with it

Howdy from the Houston TX area. .I agree with the others about flying indoors, not good. Tomorrow is new years day and im sure lots of places will be closed which means many open parking lots. do a few out and backs. practice forward flying, backward flying and left/right flying. learn the feel of the controller so you know where your fingers are without having to look. with the drone hovering low (10-20 feet) practice the yaw right and left. get a feel as to how quick your drone responds to the commands.

I learned on "toy grade" drones and trashed a few of them. The Mavic line is a nice step up and frankly they are easier to fly then the toygrade as they have RTH and are much more stable. Enjoy and fly safely. Also get your TRUST certificate

Reactions: tekgirl02
Welcome to the forum .. I'm new on here as well .. if you keep an eye on the threads on here you will learn a lot!
It may have already been said above .. but apart from not flying indoors .. the two things I would advise:
1) Make sure you acquire planty of satellites before take off so that your GPS coordinates are accurate
2) After take off wait for the 'Homepoint recorded' message before attempting any serious manoeuvres

Happy flying :)

Advice Welcome to the forum .. I'm new on here as well .. if you keep an eye on the threads on here you will learn a lot!
It may have already been said above .. but apart from not flying indoors .. the two things I would advise:
1) Make sure you acquire planty of satellites before take off so that your GPS coordinates are accurate
2) After take off wait for the 'Homepoint recorded' message before attempting any serious manoeuvres

Happy flying :)
Great advice!!! Thank you 😊

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329