DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini - NO Compatible Android Device!

anyone uses the mini with S7? mine has black screen instead of fpv. full hardware reset same issue :(
I'm using an S7 Active with my MM. The app would die on my LG V35 every time the drone connected, but my old S7 Active works fine.

Hey DanMan32, Let us know if you can connect when you get your mini without the fly app crashing. I should receive my mini this Thursday. But I'm expecting that the app will crash from what I'm hearing. I've got an LG G7 ThinQ. Apparently the fly app isn't compatible with my phone? dji needs to get these problems fixed ASAP!
I wasn't quite planning on buying one. I was seriously considering it, but with availability delays and now this, it may be a while before I do.
I am probably going to suggest to someone else looking for an entry drone to back off from this. She was going to get the Tello, but this would have been a better value until now. Besides, there's rumors the Tello Fly More price will soon drop to $99.

I wasn't quite planning on buying one. I was seriously considering it, but with availability delays and now this, it may be a while before I do.
I am probably going to suggest to someone else looking for an entry drone to back off from this. She was going to get the Tello, but this would have been a better value until now. Besides, there's rumors the Tello Fly More price will soon drop to $99.

With how the roll out of the mini and fly app have played out so far, I understand. I should receive my mini tomorrow, and will give it to my Wife to wrap up as a Christmas gift for me. Hopefully by then dji will have worked out the compatibility issues? I spoke with dji Tech support today, and they told me there are no tablets or iPads that are considered compatible with the mini and fly app at this time. "DJI Engineers are working tirelessly to make the fly app work with as many mobile devices and tablets as soon as possible, blah, blah, blah". I'll just wait it out and see what happens in the next couple months. I'd prefer to use a small tablet or iPad with the mini anyway. I'm sure dji will come out with a list of compatible devices soon.

From the Apple App Store's page for download of the FLY - (I highlighted the Ipad Mini stuff because that is what I was looking for)

Attachments

• DJI IPAD.JPG
    DJI IPAD.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 31
Sounds like that tech was out of touch with reality.

If I use a tablet I usually use the Tab A 9/7" but I suspect app will crash on connection.
I did manage to recently aquire an iPad, so that should work, though I'd have to use the video stretch mode.

From the Apple App Store's page for download of the FLY - (I highlighted the Ipad Mini stuff because that is what I was looking for)

I'm sure some iPad's and tablets will work. But according to the Tech I spoke to today, and dji's list of compatible devices. dji isn't officially endorsing the full seem less operation of any iPad or tablet at this time.

I thought I read somewhere that Android devices have to have 4GB. At first I was upset because my Huawei Ascend XT2, which was released in 2017 and works great with my Mavic, did not work with Fly app. I was about to send the Mini back in disgust. But as it turned out, my old Samsung Note 5, released in 2015, works perfectly even though it's not on the list. They are both 64bit, but the Huawei has 2GB memory and the Note 5 has 4GB.

Somehow I doubt amount of total memory would be a go/no go. We have various amount of RAM used.

All I can tell you is that my personal experience confirms this....the app won’t install on my 2GB 64bit 2017 device, yet installs and works on my “unsupported” 4GB 64bit 2015 device:

I have flown my MM with Samsung S7 Active phone connected to the remote controller for a few times just to verify it will work.

As a dedicated tablet, I have been flying my MM with a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" every day since Nov 11th. On the morning of Nov 14th I had issues getting it to connect. Not exactly sure, but the evening before I had turned on 'developer mode' but hadn't changed any settings in it, and I had installed MS office. Performed factory reset that morning, and have been flying MM Huawei MediaPad as the interface multiple times a day since then without any further issues.

The Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" has an extremely nice display, the video is not stretched like it currently is on iOS tablets, and it doesn't seem to place as much of a drain on the Remote Controller battery as so many people led you to believe about android devices.

I have performed one hour worth of flying (three flights approx. 20 minutes each) without recharging the controller. It had one solid led, and a second flashing led. The second led didn't start flashing until approx. 55 minute flight time, which means it enough battery in the RC for more flying.

I lucked out in that my work phone (Galaxy S8) works great but unfortunately my personal phone (Moto G4) doesn't. I was looking at upgrading my personal phone to a OnePlus 6T which I see is compatible. I really would like to not have to use my company-supplied phone, esp. since it's in an Otter Box case and has to be removed to fit the controller.

I have flown my MM with Samsung S7 Active phone connected to the remote controller for a few times just to verify it will work.

As a dedicated tablet, I have been flying my MM with a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" every day since Nov 11th. On the morning of Nov 14th I had issues getting it to connect. Not exactly sure, but the evening before I had turned on 'developer mode' but hadn't changed any settings in it, and I had installed MS office. Performed factory reset that morning, and have been flying MM Huawei MediaPad as the interface multiple times a day since then without any further issues.

The Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" has an extremely nice display, the video is not stretched like it currently is on iOS tablets, and it doesn't seem to place as much of a drain on the Remote Controller battery as so many people led you to believe about android devices.

I have performed one hour worth of flying (three flights approx. 20 minutes each) without recharging the controller. It had one solid led, and a second flashing led. The second led didn't start flashing until approx. 55 minute flight time, which means it enough battery in the RC for more flying.

Then you do have the same issue as the rest of us Android users.

From what I read across the web the crucial point for Android compatibility is 64bit: Hardware and OS must support 64bit, otherwise you're not compatible.
CPU power and RAM are secondary and will mostly affect performance

Then you do have the same issue as the rest of us Android users.

If you are asking about RC charging android device, the answer is yes.

I have been thinking about trying this OTG y adapter with a seperate input to supply power to the tablet for it's 500mA signal
AuviPal 2-in-1 Micro USB to USB OTG Adapter (OTG Cable + TV's USB Power Cable) This harness would need to use the cable that came with your tablet or phone.

The harnes linked above has three connections. 1) Plug the micro USB (which is OTG) into RC, 2) standard looking USB plug into a small light weight external battery power pack, then use the factory tablet cable plug into 3) USB socket on the cable linked above, and finally the USB C end of factory tablet cable in the tablet.

I'm thinking just a small 5000 or 10000 mAh external battery power pack would suffice.

CareyL has mentioned something like this might work (in the linked thread below), so I wish he would chime in here or provide more information in the thread where he already mentions it.
Mini USB cables??

Supplemental power will always work, but the idea is to prevent charging in the first place. It seems, as I had suspected, USB wants to see power on the power leads. The question is how little can it handle?
A 560 ohm resistor was tried to limit current to no more than 10mA. That almost worked. May need an active current limiter rather than a passive resistor.

Supplemental power will always work, but the idea is to prevent charging in the first place. It seems, as I had suspected, USB wants to see power on the power leads. The question is how little can it handle?
A 560 ohm resistor was tried to limit current to no more than 10mA. That almost worked. May need an active current limiter rather than a passive resistor.

I was a former aircraft technician for 21 yrs, with my first tech school being aircraft electrical; so I'm familiar enough with resistors to remember the order via acronym BBROYGBVGW (Bad Boys R Our Young Girls But Violet G Willingly). I was never good at soldering, so I'm hoping for a way to resolve the charging issue without having to solder anything.

I'm intrigued by the thought of an active current limiter. Please start a thread specifically for it should you start experimenting.

The problem is that USB standards require a USB host, RC in this case, provide at least 500mA, along with Android OS API apparently not providing a means to switch charge mode off.
USB, particularly for Android wants to see power on the USB bus to activate it, so cutting power completely doesn't work.
iOS apparently has the needed API to stop charging.

So the only solution is to trick the Android in seeing a limited current availability so that it doesn't enable charging.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej