DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Parrot Drone

You wouldn’t be seeing the ski or props. Arms are far enough out to allow unobstructed view. Looking at the picture that is..

View attachment 39600

Yeah looks like your right, and I guess as stated above if you get creative this could add a cool new perspective. In the video I seen, gimbal looks solid, but probably even less protected then the MP you think?

Yeah looks like your right, and I guess as stated above if you get creative this could add a cool new perspective. In the video I seen, gimbal looks solid, but probably even less protected then the MP you think?

Creativity for sure! Like you said, gimble looks solid and while it is only a 2-axis gimble with 3-axis Software Stabilization, only time and reviews will tell how much a beating this drone can take.

What will you gain by tilting up 99 degrees besides the ski and props tho?
When I was at the World of Drones Congress last year, one of the film production companies were saying how the ability for drones to film upwards while rising up from a city scape was a game changer for them as it was a near impossible shot to get previously. They were showcasing some of their work from one of the Avengers movies

Skip to beyond 10 minute marker to see actual performance in 14mph winds, zoom capabilities, and use for camera tilt up.

Well, it seems that Parrot has really caught up to DJI! Hopefully we can see more competition going on in this market.

Wow. The first thing: I love that they have been thinking out of the box with the design! Looks very creative and to me it is a sign that they have thought things through. Secondly, they managed to come up with a lay-out that enables the camera to look up without seeing the props, which will (I assume) also mean that it doesn't matter how fast you fly, props won't be in the image. Third, optical zoom! However little, I think it will add a lot. How often haven't you wanted to zoom in? I know I have a lot. 4th, the size is deceptive, it looks very practical in the way that it folds. All in all, I'll be following real life reviews closely!

Skip to beyond 10 minute marker to see actual performance in 14mph winds, zoom capabilities, and use for camera tilt up.

Update:
After watching this video, it seems like the build quality is nowhere near DJI. Not familiar with other parrot drone products, but that seems a bit of a letdown.
In addition, it seems like it is shooting the same kind of waterpaintings as my Mavic. Look at the (lack of) detail in the dark foliage around 11:27

PS... maybe he should have paid more attention to his surroundings, a bit embarrasing to have the first shot of the drone flying outdoors having a giant ***** in the background... :D

Informative movie nonetheless!

Afani.JPG

Reactions: Former Member
The optical zoom is a software cheat where it essentially crops the sensor. It’s not a true lens derived zoom but admittedly it’s not a digital zoom either. I see it more as a marketing term though than anything truly groundbreaking.

Flight time aside (and let’s wait for real world testing) and the ability to upskirt [joke] I can’t see one area this beats the JA or MP. I thought the megapixel race ended in 2004.

Well, Mavic Air is wifi as well. From what I understand, the Bebop 2 Power has great range and is very stable. A friend of mine owns one and he flew it out over a mile and back without issues. The non power one didn't have that range. It actually is a very stable drone and did great video at 1080p. Their App also has a lot more features than DJI Go. Flight Plan (waypoints) can be pre programmed while not connected to the drone like Litchi and all the other features are a lot more intuitive. It's their customer service and terrible updates to the software/firmware that turned me off to them.

Poor customer service and crappy software updates are just what I expect (and get) from most French companies. I wouldn't have a Parrot if you gave it to me thanks.

Poor customer service and crappy software updates are just what I expect (and get) from most French companies. I wouldn't have a Parrot if you gave it to me thanks.
I will take it if it's free lol

Reactions: Thwyllo
When I was at the World of Drones Congress last year, one of the film production companies were saying how the ability for drones to film upwards while rising up from a city scape was a game changer for them as it was a near impossible shot to get previously. They were showcasing some of their work from one of the Avengers movies

A film production company that hasn't worked out how to stick a bloody GoPro on TOP of a drone? I'm impressed.

I'm impressed you think a production company would even consider a gopro...
Mounting a RED on a gimbal on top is a tad more difficult.

But obviously that kind of quote is just marketing.

I'm impressed you think a production company would even consider a gopro...
Mounting a RED on a gimbal on top is a tad more difficult.

But obviously that kind of quote is just marketing.

I was being sarcastic. But your comment underlines the ridiculous nature of the point I responded to because they sure as hell aren't going to be using a poxy Parrot are they.

Last edited:
I"m actually bouncing back and forth between this and the mavic air and watched and read a lot about the two.

Things I like about the Anafi:

No Fly Zone restrictions. (This is one thing I loved about flying my 3dr Solo)
HDR Video (Usually a feature you find on higher end / professional grade drones)
USB - C Charging for both the controller and the battery packs themselves. (No need to bring special adapters etc along with you)
Dolly Zoom (pretty cool effect)

Honestly the only thing I think that sucks is the fact that you can only shoot in either 4K and 1080p. I'm hoping 2.7K will be an in app purchase since I'd rather shoot in that format for faster editing and smaller file sizes.

A film production company that hasn't worked out how to stick a bloody GoPro on TOP of a drone? I'm impressed.
Umm, I think you misunderstood my post. I was speaking generally how drones can film upward with cameras fitted above (I’m not talking GoPro) Film production companies have many configurations with cameras mounted above for this. Previously this couldn’t be done with helo’s or aircraft was my point

What will you gain by tilting up 99 degrees besides the ski and props tho? Yeah battery life is solid, assuming it’s close to stated.

Bit off topic, but I’ve since noticed DJI have update there battery life specs, not sure when that was done, this is what’s posted for the MP. Much more accurate

•Max Flight Time:
27 minutes (no wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph))
•Max Hovering Time:
24 minutes (no wind)
•Overall Flight Time:
21 minutes ( In normal flight, 15% remaining battery level )

They changed Mavic Air specs for flight time to 27 minutes ?? All reviewers report time closer to 15’
Either their was a really efficient recent firmware upgrade... or they start to get afraid of the competition ... ;o)

No optical zoom. It says digital zoom that's like optical zoom.
USB-C charging seems nice, but wondering how long it would take to charge with regular USB charger
Looking at controller specs: Battery life: 2h30 (Android) / 5h30 (iOS) ?? Android draws more power from controller?
Dolly zoom: Nice feature... I wonder of DJI will add this feature to DJI Go 4.
Wondering how well the arms handle hitting something from the side.

They changed Mavic Air specs for flight time to 27 minutes ?? All reviewers report time closer to 15’
Either their was a really efficient recent firmware upgrade... or they start to get afraid of the competition ... ;o)
No, he said Mavic Pro. Probably with the Platinum's upgrades.

?? Android draws more power from controller?
Just like with DJI gear.

Reactions: DTC709
No optical zoom. It says digital zoom that's like optical zoom.
USB-C charging seems nice, but wondering how long it would take to charge with regular USB charger
Looking at controller specs: Battery life: 2h30 (Android) / 5h30 (iOS) ?? Android draws more power from controller?
Dolly zoom: Nice feature... I wonder of DJI will add this feature to DJI Go 4.
Wondering how well the arms handle hitting something from the side.

Except it's nothing like optical zoom is it, as I'm sure you know. Optical zoom is where the glass in the lens shuffles about physically to make the subject larger. Digital zoom is just cropping the picture (or the sensor) to make the subject seem larger, except of course that, just like a post production crop it has far fewer pixies than a proper optical zoom which keeps exactly the same pixie count and therefore resolution.

(Note to Spelling Bees: yes I know it's pixels but it's not as much fun is it).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S