DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot and suggestions to avoid mistakes

josecarlosss

Reactions
Hello guys, i am going to be a new pilot with Mavic Air and i would like to give me some suggestions for a newbie.

What do you suggest to me? how to start being more comfortable and avoid any mistakes and bad situation?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Hello guys, i am going to be a new pilot with Mavic Air and i would like to give me some suggestions for a newbie.
You'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.
Never launch or land on a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
If flying in a strong wind situation, never fly away downwind.

You'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.
Never launch or land on a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
If flying in a strong wind situation, never fly away downwind.
all above is good advice I would add to read this forum to learn experience of others also down wait until your battery is 50% or lower to return home and land.

RTFM, watch hours and hours of Youtube vids, Practice, Practice, Practice, ND Filters, Little steps in wide open spaces.

Onward and Upward.

RTFM, watch hours and hours of Youtube vids, Practice, Practice, Practice, ND Filters, Little steps in wide open spaces.

Onward and Upward.
if you haven’t registered your new drone with DJI yet I would highly recommend you buy the DJI care refresh insurance. You can thank me later after your first crash which more than likely will occur during your first year of flying.

read the manual practice practice practice, dont try the auto flight modes until you are comfortable with controlling the drone yourself, and also make yourself aware of the flying laws in the UK, there are some good apps that can help you with that, also get some insurance to cover you from third party claims if you hurt or damage property or people because your drone crashed, even if it was not your fault when you are flying your drone the buck stops with you as the PIC

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Well, here's my two cents as a new drone owner of the M2Pro...

I walked into owning my first drone thinking it was going to be a "walk-in-the-park". I mean, how difficult can it be to pilot a drone? Honestly, I was wrong. I've learned there is a great deal of details to learn and remember from the manual and various YouTube videos. The challenge is remember those details when you are in the field. You need to watch the drone, understand the controller, and pay attention to your iPhone, etc.

I'll finish with this. Learn as much as you can, ALL of the various controller icons, and what they do related to the flying performance of your drone. You can do this in the comfort of your home. Don't attach the propellers, power up the drone & controller. Find a good beginner YouTube video and follow along.

Fly your drone in a wide open area. Don't focus on video and/or photography. Learn what each joystick does. Then, go back and learn how you can make adjustments (ESP, etc.).

Look forward to you participation and question as you go along.

I completely agree with everything said here . . . read the manual thoroughly. When you finish, read it again. Zenfly 2 is absolutely right. Lock yourself up in a room with your computer and snacks. Live on this forum and YouTube for about 2 days. Lastly, watch (and read) all of the "I lost/crashed my drone" posts plastered all over this site. This will scare the stinking crap out of you. Look at the telemetry and it will start to make sense. You'll fly right after reading these horror stories.

Don't forget to hit record . . .

Reactions: josecarlosss
"Lastly, watch (and read) all of the "I lost/crashed my drone" posts plastered all over this site. This will scare the stinking crap out of you."

Funny, but true!

I joined the forum weeks before purchasing my first drone. The crash reports really got my attention and made me focus on learning what I could here before flying outside. A majority of those reports where human error. Honestly, it took me days, but flew my drone outside (-:

"Lastly, watch (and read) all of the "I lost/crashed my drone" posts plastered all over this site. This will scare the stinking crap out of you."

Funny, but true!

I joined the forum weeks before purchasing my first drone. The crash reports really got my attention and made me focus on learning what I could here before flying outside. A majority of those reports where human error. Honestly, it took me days, but flew my drone outside (-:
Me too . . . that's why I suggested it. Keep flying my man!!

Read the Manual over and over. Fly in Beginner Mode and in a large open field. You’ll know when to take it off Beginner mode. Happy flying. ???

Start flights small, under 50' and 100yds. Play with all the settings and watch them work. Try and do a flight every day, have a goal with each flight. Once you're comfortable on how it works, read the manual to iron out any things you haven't caught. Increase distance and altitude as you grow more comfortable.

Never, ever flip on sport mode and "see what it can do". Give it 4-6months before you even switch that on.

Have fun!

Many congratulations! A very exciting purchase.

Yes, it's a bit intimidating to fly at first but you'll gain proficiency soon. Watch videos like those from Ed Ricker for those new to the Mavic Pro.

Advice from a guy with only about 30 flights on my MP-

1) Take your time. Impatience will cause you problems (maxim stolen from this website)

2) Find "Beginner Mode" on the DJI 4 app which you'll need, and turn that on for your first few flights.

3) Find a wide open flat space with no trees or structures nearby on your first few flights.

4) If you get in a pinch while flying, simply take both hands off the joy sticks and it'll stop and hover until you think your way through the situation. Go real easy on the joy sticks- small and smooth movements on the sticks.

5) At first, land with more than 5 or 6 mins remaining on your batteries. It'll freak you out as a newbie when you get a low battery warning and it zooms to 100 feet in the air for a return to home when you're a newb.

6) Have a checklist. Remember to remove 2 (two) gimbal locks before you fly.

7) Stick close to this site as there are a lot of experts here (I'm not one of them). YouTube is also a treasure trove for new drone owners.

Have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada