DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot from London

isujosh

Reactions
Really excited that I have just ordered my M2P and SC. Although I am based in London, I fly my existing drone (a very simple Eachine E58) in Essex and have flown RC planes in the past too. This summer I am travelling 525 miles round the North Coast 500 in Scotland which I am really looking forward to and I'm hoping to take my new Mavic 2 Pro and get a few opportunities to fly it during my trip. This forum provides so much useful information for both new and experienced pilots and I have learnt so much already. I am a very cautious pilot and a stickler for flying by the rules at all times. I can't wait to get in the air.

I also spent 30 years in network performance and deep packet analysis - so I'm hoping I might be able put some of my skills to good use!

Thanks for the link! I have read through the manual, and there is such a lot to take on board. I didn't know that the manual in the box was an abridged version.

I'm hoping to get 20 hours of flight time with my M2P under my belt before I go to Scotland. There's no substitute for learning the basics. There are no shortcuts to gaining experience. Beginners mode here I come :)

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: isujosh
Welcome to the forum from sunny/rainy/windy/cold, Essex.?

Enjoy your M2P, great little flying machine. Hope you get some nice flying time up north in Scotland.

This might also help you out, gives you a better understanding of the Go4 app.

Really excited that I have just ordered my M2P and SC. Although I am based in London, I fly my existing drone (a very simple Eachine E58) in Essex and have flown RC planes in the past too. This summer I am travelling 525 miles round the North Coast 500 in Scotland which I am really looking forward to and I'm hoping to take my new Mavic 2 Pro and get a few opportunities to fly it during my trip. This forum provides so much useful information for both new and experienced pilots and I have learnt so much already. I am a very cautious pilot and a stickler for flying by the rules at all times. I can't wait to get in the air.

I also spent 30 years in network performance and deep packet analysis - so I'm hoping I might be able put some of my skills to good use!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new M2P and SC, I love mine! Fly safe and have fun!

Thanks for all your welcome messages! Aerial-Pixel, my mom was brought up in Cincinnati so I feel a special affinity with Ohio and you're not that far away in Dayton!

Reactions: Porky
Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob
Thunderdrones

I have read that the North Coast 500 has been declared a no fly zone, which has been disputed, and according to NATS most of it is restricted Red Zones so I decided not to go.

Yes, I've seen the restrictions - and quite a lot of the area is covered with restrictive airspace. However, there are some clear areas around the coast itself so I'm hoping it will still be possible to fly. I registered to receive NOTAMS for the highlands as low flying RAF jets on exercise are also a fairly regular occurrence. I certainly don't fancy being anywhere near jets travelling at 100ft. I simply won't fly if there's the slightest doubt in my mind - wherever that is.

C
Yes, I've seen the restrictions - and quite a lot of the area is covered with restrictive airspace. However, there are some clear areas around the coast itself so I'm hoping it will still be possible to fly. I registered to receive NOTAMS for the highlands as low flying RAF jets on exercise are also a fairly regular occurrence. I certainly don't fancy being anywhere near jets travelling at 100ft. I simply won't fly if there's the slightest doubt in my mind - wherever that is.
This is a post I read earlier and await with interest how you get on
Crofterkw3

JoinedMar 5, 2019Messages7Reaction score3LocLybster, Caithness, Scotland
Apr 24, 2019
Hi all,

I was digging round on Facebook for groups to join to advertise decals that I sell, and found this lot... Security Check Required and after reading through there group rules as I prefer not to join if they don't allow advertising which they don't, then I see this...

"Drone Free Zone
To protect the privacy of our adventures, local residents along the route, the wildlife and environment, The North Coast 500 is now a Drone Free Zone.
Drone photos and videos are not permitted."

Now obviously this is just there group rule but, if you were a bit of a newby to drones and you saw this you might think it was the law... I know getting stuff removed from facebook is impossible but maybe a group badgering of the admins of the page to have it re-worded...

Cheers

David

Like Reply

Welcome to the forum from NW London

Not so easy fir me either as I because the borough I live (Hillingdon) is actually 76% no fly zone. I usually drive west in rural areas

Not so easy fir me either as I because the borough I live (Hillingdon) is actually 76% no fly zone. I usually drive west in rural areas
Flying a drone anywhere in London is problematic. There seems to be very few designated areas set aside for the activity in Greater London. I was flying my little E58 in Wanstead today but even then Redbidge Council doesn't appear to allow any RC craft to take-off and fly from any park in the borough despite the fact that Wanstead Flats is often used by drone pilots.

Flying a drone anywhere in London is problematic. There seems to be very few designated areas set aside for the activity in Greater London. I was flying my little E58 in Wanstead today but even then Redbidge Council doesn't appear to allow any RC craft to take-off and fly from any park in the borough despite the fact that Wanstead Flats is often used by drone pilots.
We definitely need to go out if the city boundaries. I am lucky because I am right on the west edge and I can be In the countryside in 20 minutes.
A shame because I have some nice vast parks near my home but Heathrow is too close for comfort

We definitely need to go out if the city boundaries. I am lucky because I am right on the west edge and I can be In the countryside in 20 minutes.
A shame because I have some nice vast parks near my home but Heathrow is too close for comfort
I head out to the coast in Essex to fly. Plenty of great places near the coast and no-one seems to mind. Big cities are pretty much off the list for regular flyers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661