DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot looking for help/answers

Look at all the YT videos you can, read here as much as possible.
Be sure you have plenty of money to spend on Accessories .
Go ahead and download the manual and read it seversl times. ?
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Yes that is the plan
I have an Apple iPhone 8 is
That sufficient?
An iPhone 8 should work fine. Just make sure if it has some age on it, the battery is still capable of holding a good charge. So what model of Mavic are you going to purchase? Mini, Mavic Air 2, Mavic Pro/Zoom?

Reactions: mrjohnc1
Welcome to the forum! You’re about to learn so much here and from other information sources.

Because of your proximity to Buffalo Airport and Niagara Falls, youll probably want to know exactly where you can fly. Try out either website or app: AirMap or Kittyhawk. They each have localized maps to provide airspace research and flight planning.

My primary personal mobile device is an iPhone 8 Plus, which is full of actively running apps, yet still maintains video feed and control of my Mavics most of the time.

The local/regional section of the forum appears active in the Buffalo area.

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, consider getting the AirMap and KittyHawk apps. I also suggest this Visualize it: See FAA UAS Data on a Map

An iPhone 8 should work fine. Just make sure if it has some age on it, the battery is still capable of holding a good charge. So what model of Mavic are you going to purchase? Mini, Mavic Air 2, Mavic Pro/Zoom?
I am considering the mini as it would be my first "real" drone. I have had a couple of the small foam type drones

Welcome to the forum! You’re about to learn so much here and from other information sources.

Because of your proximity to Buffalo Airport and Niagara Falls, youll probably want to know exactly where you can fly. Try out either website or app: AirMap or Kittyhawk. They each have localized maps to provide airspace research and flight planning.

My primary personal mobile device is an iPhone 8 Plus, which is full of actively running apps, yet still maintains video feed and control of my Mavics most of the time.

I did get the Litty hawk app. that showed me a 200 ft. altitude level I could go. interesting

I did get the Kitty Hawk app. it showed me 200 foot altitude level

Itll take awhile, but each feature/option is well learned by making a flight for the specific purpose of seeing/learning it works. Start with some take off / land exercises then fly around a bit and so on to build your skill. There is a significant learning curve.

Itll take awhile, but each feature/option is well learned by making a flight for the specific purpose of seeing/learning it works. Start with some take off / land exercises then fly around a bit and so on to build your skill. There is a significant learning curve.
Thank you for the suggestions.
In your opinion what would be a good drone to start with and why? This is for my enjoyment I am not planning on doing anything professional by any means. Thanks

I am considering the mini as it would be my first "real" drone. I have had a couple of the small foam type drones
That's a great drone and you're really going to enjoy flying it. I was pretty surprised at how well it handles, but you really have to be careful when the wind picks up. The photo quality is also pretty good. Just make sure you download the manual and read it through several times. For the first flights, find a large open area to practice in and learn all the features. It's important to master the safety features such as return to home (RTH), altitude settings, and how sport mode can assist getting you home if you're caught in high winds. Good luck and have fun!

In your opinion what would be a good drone to start with and why? This is for my enjoyment I am not planning on doing anything professional by any means. Thanks

It depends on your budget. Choose either the Mavic Mini or the Mavic Air 2. The MA2 was not available when I started out, I got the MM. It's been pretty good for me. If I were to be starting out again today I'd probably save up my pennies and pick the MA2 for its better ability to deal with high winds. Both are good choices for a first drone though.

Living where you live, with those winds coming off the Great Lakes from the west and northwest, I'd strongly recommend the Mavic Air 2. Its power will give you a lot more more stress-free air time, particularly in the cold months.

Last edited:
The Mavic Mini is legal to fly in Canada with no license, so I picked one up due to the low barrier to entry. DEFINITELY get a Fly More package, no matter what you buy.

I got my Mini three weeks ago and have crashed it several times, but due to its light weight and good luck, I'm still flying the original propellers and so far, so good. My point is, you don't want to crash a larger, heavier, more expensive drone, and trust me, you will crash.

So I suggest the Mini. It's fun, takes great video unless you're a professional photographer/videographer, and you will cry less when you lose it, or break it.

Cheers!

The Mavic Mini is a blast if you are just looking for a fun drone to fly. It handles surprisingly well, especially indoors (Use prop guards). If you go with the mini get the Fly More Combo. For an extra $100 you get two extra batteries, extra props, charging hub, prop guards, carrying case, and more. It’s one of the best Fly More Combos DJI has ever offered.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue