DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

New Pilot from Maine... first flights today... awesome! I am an engineering consultant (dams), an I want to get a pilots license to use my Mavic Pro plat for close up inspections of hard to get vertical places... look forward to interacting on this site!

Reactions: Odom1957
Welcome to the forum, @DamDoc!

Do your due diligence on the legality and availability of videoing around dams. They are very **** about the infrastructure around dams.

Even with a 107, several friends of mine have yet to get permission to survey dams or power stations with their drones, and they are electricians working for the company who owns said structures. (Southern Company)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Do your due diligence on the legality and availability of videoing around dams. They are very **** about the infrastructure around dams.

Even with a 107, several friends of mine have yet to get permission to survey dams or power stations with their drones, and they are electricians working for the company who owns said structures. (Southern Company)

I work for the utilities that own the dams presently as a ferc approved independent consultant..... it is a service they want to pay me to do.. so there shouldn’t be a problem, but I will check the appropriate faa folks.. thanks!

Reactions: Odom1957
FAA will have no issue with flying if you have owner approval, so you will be good there.

The only issue will be the guidelines you'll have to hash out as to where exactly you'll be able to fly. If they already want to pay you to do the footage, then they already have an idea of where the off limits areas are.

For example, any power transmission lines and towers will be off limits, due to liability, and flying over an intake pipe or similar would also be prohibited.

Basically, any educated fool knows not to fly over somewhere that would potentially cause damage to facility if you were to lose power and drop out of the sky.

My work has a drone we use to fly for surveys and such, and there are several areas we are not allowed to fly it, like directly over the stack of any powerhouse boiler! Duh!

If they let you, I would love to see some footage, especially if they are dumping water or an overflow is active!

FAA will have no issue with flying if you have owner approval, so you will be good there.

The only issue will be the guidelines you'll have to hash out as to where exactly you'll be able to fly. If they already want to pay you to do the footage, then they already have an idea of where the off limits areas are.

For example, any power transmission lines and towers will be off limits, due to liability, and flying over an intake pipe or similar would also be prohibited.

Basically, any educated fool knows not to fly over somewhere that would potentially cause damage to facility if you were to lose power and drop out of the sky.

My work has a drone we use to fly for surveys and such, and there are several areas we are not allowed to fly it, like directly over the stack of any powerhouse boiler! Duh!

If they let you, I would love to see some footage, especially if they are dumping water or an overflow is active!

Thanks.. I would not be looking at switch yards or transmission lines (well away from those usually).. just the dams themselves... mostly close up condition assessments.. Id be flying where the only thing I could damage is the drone!.. Id love to share video; however, that I won't be able to do for dams.. since 9/11, all my work product is considered CEII-DNR (critical energy infrastructure information - do not release)... this would be part of work product....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC