DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilots - My 3 hard lessons-crashes. 2 RTH related. 1 trust related.

Not exactly sure why you wish to discuss RTH vs Pilot landings. If I have offended you that was not my intent. I will reply to shed light but I do not wish to enter in to a debate. The reasons RTH is right for me vs Pilot landing is the conditions under which I fly and the purpose of my flights. I hunt ferrel hogs with my drone. 95% of my flight time is well beyond visual range. When I spot hogs I have to react quickly. I don't have time to worry about or fly my drone back. I drop the RC , get my hog Terminator (sniper rifle) ready, and head out. If I flew it back - hogs gone by the time it takes me to complete task. Could I fly it back? Yes. Is RTH actually necessary for me? No. This is one of many examples in my flight parameters and missions that ....let's just say....pretty much dictate sound RTH decision. Have a great day.
Perfectly logical answer. I have never used RTH so I was curious what type of parameter made it so crucial.

Reactions: ScottM2Zoom1
So you hit RTH drop the RC take off to go kill a hog and hope your drone came back and landed. Doesn't sound like a very responsible pilot.:oops:

So you hit RTH drop the RC take off to go kill a hog and hope your drone came back and landed. Doesn't sound like a very responsible pilot.:oops:
My RTH point is open, flat, and clear of obsticals 1000ftx1000ft square. I usually have eyes on descent as I am making way to destination. Small risk, have insurance, and plenty of $$$ if something goes wrong ?

My RTH point is open, flat, and clear of obsticals 1000ftx1000ft square. I usually have eyes on descent as I am making way to destination. Small risk, have insurance, and plenty of $$$ if something goes wrong ?
Now you just need to fix the rifle to the done and you never have to leave the house.

So theres 0% chance a kid couldn't walk into the LZ and get hit by the drone landing

it seems that ScottM2Zoom1 does have a reason to fly his drone the way he does if he is over his own property then he is ok to do it his way,if the UAV does not perform as it should during its RTH,then he is prepared to face the cost of replacement and or damage to his property that does not make him an irresponsible pilot

3942959013d8d29b15fea83eba356486.jpg

I hand catch on return.
3450d36cf6071b548c0e9a77ed851686.jpg

I saw this and was thinking you landed on that lol. I see you said hand landings before I posted my frantic message not to try to land on that automatically or otherwise lol

Reactions: Greenflash
I'd say that Scott has it all figured out for his particular situation and obviously, getting rid of the hogs is the Prime Directive since I will presume the potential damage or loss of livestock that I know they can cause is more important than ensuring the M2 makes it back perfectly. Clearly, he has done this many times and has confidence in the procedure. So I say, rock 'n roll dude, it's your property and your livestock, and good shooting.

Last edited:
I'd say that Scott has it all figured out for his particular situation and obviously, getting rid of the hogs is the Prime Directive since I will presume the the potential damage or loss of livestock that I know they can cause is more important than ensuring the M2 makes it back perfectly. Clearly, he has done this many times and has confidence in the procedure. So I say, rock 'n roll dude, it's your property and your livestock, and good shooting.
Yes indeed. They destroy my grass landing strip. This is this mornings super high res cropped photo. Pigs on runway.....not usually dirt. That's all the repair in last week. Minus one pig this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20190428_074230.jpg
    IMG_20190428_074230.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 25
Scott: Having flown airplanes all my adult life and with other folks who have owned their own airplanes, I've never wanted the hassle or expense. However, seeing your very own grass strip made me quite envious. Best of luck dealing with those dang pigs and I hope you don't hit a rut in your big drone. :)

Scott: Having flown airplanes all my adult life and with other folks who have owned their own airplanes, I've never wanted the hassle or expense. However, seeing your very own grass strip made me quite envious. Best of luck dealing with those dang pigs and I hope you don't hit a rut in your big drone. :)

What do you mean by cancelling RTH makes the drone to land wherever it is?
I think it is the only case when the battery is critically low. Correct me if I am wrong...

Thx. You can see almost 1/2 the runway was destroyed. Repair is a pain in the rear. M2Z has been awesome.
What do you mean by cancelling RTH makes the drone to land wherever it is?
I think it is the only case when the battery is critically low. Correct me if I am wrong...
From a technical perspective you are correct. For a new pilot with RTH battery level set at lowest point it is high risk. Second guessing RTH return with drone a mile away was and is a recipe for disaster. I'm simply advising caution to new Pilots.

Scott: I zoomed into the runway image and I certainly see what you mean. And, having seen what hogs can do the ground down here in South Texas as well as doing my share of "dirt work over the years," I can most definitely sympathize with your problem. Truth is, this is a most useful method for solving the rutting issue since you can't drive out there with your rifle every time as it would scare them away and I imagine it's too far to walk regularly. So DJI provides an answer and it sounds like your operation is working reasonably well. Obviously, your "dirt work" repair time is worth a fair amount of moolah so on balance, I'd say the minimal risk of unattended RTH (if done correctly with appropriate settings,) is worth it.

Reactions: ScottM2Zoom1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rle