DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New props release

Let me make sure I got the math right here:

8330 71dB props = $1.37/each
8331 68dB props = $12.00/each

That's about $3.54 per dB of noise reduction. Hmmmmm... I think I'll take the "noisy" ones.

Note: dB spec's are based on the Mavic Pro Platinum. Mavic pro dB specs are 74dB and 71dB respectively. Louder, but still the same 3dB difference.

Let me make sure I got the math right here:

8330 71dB props = $1.37/each
8331 68dB props = $12.00/each

That's about $3.54 per dB of noise reduction. Hmmmmm... I think I'll take the "noisy" ones.

Note: dB spec's are based on the Mavic Pro Platinum. Mavic pro dB specs are 74dB and 71dB respectively. Louder, but still the same 3dB difference.

Don't forget there is also an efficiency gain with those new props also. How much that is on our old Mavic the jury is still out until a few guys gets their hands on them. I might not be as excited as a kid on the last day of school about sticking the new props on the old Mavic but anywhere I can gain efficiency, longer flight times, and less noise I'm all for it. Of course, as you pointed out there is clearly a cost associated it with it.

For me, if DJI came out with a hump back extended flight time battery pack that was say 4500-5000maH instead of the standard 3830maH and gave me 3-5 minutes more of flight time, but it sold for $120 instead of $89, I'm buying one of those babies instead of the standard one when the time comes to get another. Beats velcroing a soft pack to the top or sides and attaching a cheap brass strip to the terminals or dremeling holes and soldering in that tight spot to add external batteries (if you're into modding). :D

Last edited:
I recently read on Mavic Pilots forum about a guy whose Mavic fell out of the sky twice for no reason. Maybe a bird shot but he believes it was caused by the after market props he bought. These 8Pcs Carbon Fiber Composite Folding Propeller Props Blades for DJI Mavic Pro US fall into that catagory by the looks. They are not DJI....they are a generic brand as stated....so Beware!! He also posted a video on youtube.....cant remember his name but he was a Brit. In saying that i just ordered 2 set from aliexpress. These are stated as being DJI 8331....so fingers crossed.

Reactions: cderoche
Don't forget there is also an efficiency gain with those new props also.

I have not seen those numbers. I assume the claimed 3 extra minutes of flight time in the Platinum is due some design and/or component differences - not just the props. But I'm open to any data you might want to share.

How much that is on our old Mavic the jury is still out until a few guys gets their hands on them. I might not be as excited as a kid on the last day of school about sticking the new props on the old Mavic but anywhere I can gain efficiency, longer flight times, and less noise I'm all for it. Of course, as you pointed out there is clearly a cost associated it with it.

Your last sentence nails it. I'm all for more flight time/efficiency and a quieter drone, but at what cost? And honestly, 27 minutes vs. 30 minutes is roughly a 10% increase in flight time. Is that due to greater efficiency? Or does this increase come at a cost??? Are we putting more stress on existing components? A candle that burns twice as bright......

I assume differences between the Pro and the Platinum go FAR beyond prop design. It will be interesting to see the data as it becomes available.

For me, if DJI came out with a hump back extended flight time battery pack that was say 4500-5000maH instead of the standard 3830maH and gave me 3-5 minutes more of flight time, but it sold for $120 instead of $89, I'm buying one of those babies instead of the standard one when the time comes to get another.

I would, too. But honestly, so far I'm happy with the flight times. I do a lot of mapping gigs and, up to now, have been using my Inspire. The Mavic is like a godsend with 2x the flight time. The caveat is that it doesn't fight high winds as well as the Inspire, so I'll always bring the Inspire with me to mapping gigs. But I love the fact that I can do half the flights and use half the batteries as the Inspire. Once these batteries wear out - or if I feel the need for greater flight times - I'll get the high-capacity batteries.

Beats velcroing a soft pack to the top or sides and attaching a cheap brass strip to the terminals or dremeling holes and soldering in that tight spot to add external batteries (if you're into modding). :D

Amen to that!!!!

I recently read on Mavic Pilots forum about a guy whose Mavic fell out of the sky twice for no reason. Maybe a bird shot but he believes it was caused by the after market props he bought. These 8Pcs Carbon Fiber Composite Folding Propeller Props Blades for DJI Mavic Pro US fall into that catagory by the looks. They are not DJI....they are a generic brand as stated....so Beware!! He also posted a video on youtube.....cant remember his name but he was a Brit. In saying that i just ordered 2 set from aliexpress. These are stated as being DJI 8331....so fingers crossed.

This taken right off the auction site:

DJI Mavic Pro Part 8330 Quick-Release Folding Propellers for Mavic Pro Drone

Because they are citing a specific OEM part number, I assume these are OEM. If the props are NOT OEM, the vendor will have to change his syntax.

I just ordered a set of these. I'm going to email the vendor to make sure these are, indeed, OEM props. I'll post my results.

I have not seen those numbers. I assume the claimed 3 extra minutes of flight time in the Platinum is due some design and/or component differences - not just the props. But I'm open to any data you might want to share.

DJI has said most of the extra flight time is due to the change in the speed controller unit. Square wave vs sinusoidal wave. Also reduces noise. Some is due to the new props. I wouldn't expect any where near 3 minutes more flight time with just changing props on the old Mavic. If its 30 seconds I'd be surprised. The price is only a couple bucks more the OEM original props. You found a good deal on the old ones - if they are OEM. Hope that seller starts carrying the 8331's for near that price soon. Always good to have a spare set of props on hand.

From DJI's store:
upload_2017-9-25_13-27-43.png VS upload_2017-9-25_13-28-47.png

Reactions: Donnie Frank
DJI has said most of the extra flight time is due to the change in the speed controller unit. Square wave vs sinusoidal wave. Also reduces noise. Some is due to the new props. I wouldn't expect any where near 3 minutes more flight time with just changing props on the old Mavic. If its 30 seconds I'd be surprised. The price is only a couple bucks more the OEM original props. You found a good deal on the old ones - if they are OEM. Hope that seller starts carrying the 8331's for near that price soon. Always good to have a spare set of props on hand.

From DJI's store:
View attachment 22231 VS View attachment 22232

A set just arrived from a domestic eBay vendor. Like the foreign vendor, his auction site claims "8330F Propellers for DJI MAVIC PRO." Because he specifically uses a part # in his auction site, I assume these are OEM. I A/B'd a pair that came with the bird and a pair that came in the mail today, and I honestly can't tell the difference between the two.

Here are some photos:

DSC01079.JPG DSC01080.JPG DSC01081.JPG DSC01082.JPG DSC01083.JPG DSC01084.JPG

I did a test fit, and the prop locks positively in place. Worth noting, each pair (CCW and CW) came in a very thick Ziploc™ bag. Usually, the cheap imitation stuff has cheaper packaging.

This set was $7.65 shipped.

4Pcs Carbon Fiber Composite Folding Propeller Props Blades for DJI Mavic Pro Bla | eBay

Because they are citing a specific OEM part number, I assume these are OEM. If the props are NOT OEM, the vendor will have to change his syntax.
That is an incorrect and dangerous assumption. Genuine DJI props are not available that cheaply.

Note the use of the word "for." As in, "for DJI Mavic Pro." It does not say they are from DJI. In fact, in the item description: Brand:
Unbranded/Generic

You might get lucky, but you're trusting your $1,000 drone to cheap generic props.

A set just arrived from a domestic eBay vendor. Like the foreign vendor, his auction site claims "8330F Propellers for DJI MAVIC PRO." Because he specifically uses a part # in his auction site, I assume these are OEM. I A/B'd a pair that came with the bird and a pair that came in the mail today, and I honestly can't tell the difference between the two.

Here are some photos:

View attachment 22250 View attachment 22251 View attachment 22252 View attachment 22253 View attachment 22254 View attachment 22255

I did a test fit, and the prop locks positively in place. Worth noting, each pair (CCW and CW) came in a very thick Ziploc™ bag. Usually, the cheap imitation stuff has cheaper packaging.

4Pcs Carbon Fiber Composite Folding Propeller Props Blades for DJI Mavic Pro Bla | eBay

Hope these work just as good for you as stock. I'd check them after each flight for cracks, wear, etc. I do that anyway with the original ones.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
That is an incorrect and dangerous assumption. Genuine DJI props are not available that cheaply.

Note the use of the word "for." As in, "for DJI Mavic Pro." It does not say they are from DJI. In fact, in the item description: Brand:
Unbranded/Generic

You might get lucky, but you're trusting your $1,000 drone to cheap generic props.

I posted photos of the new props. They look exactly like OEM props. That said, whenever a product is an imitation, the product syntax must read "REPLACES part #8330." I'll email the vendor just to make sure. If these are, indeed, imitation props, I'll make sure he changes his auction page.

I checked the "Brand" field on several OEM products with mixed results. I wouldn't count on the "Brand" field as the Holy Grail of branding. Most vendors know - especially the experienced ones - that if they are selling imitation products, they must be listed as so. That said, I'll be cautious with these new props. I'll do some low-level test flights before trusting them fully.

That said, whenever a product is an imitation, the product syntax must read "REPLACES part #8330." I'll email the vendor just to make sure. If these are, indeed, imitation props, I'll make sure he changes his auction page.

I don’t know who requires specific syntax, but good luck getting a fly-by-night eBay seller in China to follow those rules.

I checked the "Brand" field on several OEM products with mixed results. I wouldn't count on the "Brand" field as the Holy Grail of branding.

You know what the Holy Grail is? The price. Legit DJI props aren’t going to be sold that cheaply, period.

Like they say, if it’s too good to be true it probably is.

Here are some photos:

View attachment 22250 View attachment 22251 View attachment 22252 View attachment 22253 View attachment 22254 View attachment 22255

I always find when even the seller writes imitation in his listing, its a pretty safe bet they arnt genuine props

Here are some photos:

The vendor even wrote in his listing that these are imitation.
The genuine Dji props in the great scheme of things are cheap when compared to the cost of the Mavic, so i wouldn't personally risk using unknown copies

I don’t know who requires specific syntax, but good luck getting a fly-by-night eBay seller in China to follow those rules.

You know what the Holy Grail is? The price. Legit DJI props aren’t going to be sold that cheaply, period.

Like they say, if it’s too good to be true it probably is.

Define "legit."

DJI doesn't manufacture their props. ABC Chinese plastic company does. And if Chin's Imitation Prop company goes to ABC and says, "Would you please use the DJI template/jib/molds and make me 100,000 Mavic Pro props for $.30/unit?" And ABC says, "Sure. No problem. We already have the molds that DJI paid for, so yeah, we can run you off a bunch at a highly discounted price." And then Chin sells to a few to Chinese eBay vendors @ $.50/unit, and they sell on eBay for > $1.00/unit, whose to say that Chin's props aren't the same, exact spec and materials as DJI props?? Whose to say they aren't EXACTLY the same, sans the DJI branding??? This isn't a stretch. You know why? Because DJI is based out of China. And the Chinese don't have a very comprehensive copyright/trademark/patent enforcement network. So while it's easy for the Chinese to copy and make cheaper products invented and manufactured off their shores, imagine how easy it is for them to copy and manufacture products invented and developed and manufactured in their own back yard.

If the Mavic and its components were manufactured in say Australia, THEN I would see your point - that the "cheap Chinese imitation" is sub par. But because the OEM is probably manufactured right down the street from Chin's Imitation Prop company, it's not a big stretch to assume that Chin is using the SAME manufacturer with the same spec as DJI's props. The prop is basically 3 components: The blades, the hub and the fasteners made from carbon, plastic and a ferrous metal. Where exactly do you think Chin's Imitation Prop company is scrimping? What corner(s) do you think they're cutting? I just don't see much wiggle room on this product. Do you?

Clearly, you have the inside track to Chinese manufacturing practices. What am I missing?

Clearly, you have the inside track to Chinese manufacturing practices. What am I missing?

People here and at Mavic Pilots’ sister forums have had crashes because of prop failures with knockoff props. Do what you want to save a buck on the cheapest accessory for your Mavic, but good luck.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the Mavic platinum props, they are available here in the DJI Store.

On a lighter note, hope you don't encounter any issues. I sorta agree with both sides here. I'm always cautious with deals too good to be true. Sometimes you get lucky though.
You know what Confucius always says...
If anyone is interested in purchasing the Mavic platinum props, they are available here in the DJI Store.

Dang still no platinum tipped ones only gold....

I can see differences in the pictures, gloss vs mat, black vs grey, rivit quality, hole formation

Model number can be the same with no issues eg Google x1 processor 2 big companies will come up nvidia and Sony

Here are some photos:

People here and at Mavic Pilots’ sister forums have had crashes because of prop failures with knockoff props. Do what you want to save a buck on the cheapest accessory for your Mavic, but good luck.

Your assessment is predicated on 2 false premises:

1) That all "knock offs" are created equal.
2) That you completely dismiss my points regarding who manufactured these props.

Dismissing data and repeating anecdotes does not a good argument make and certainly doesn't educate. If we're going to cite anecdotes as "evidence," I've been using "knock off" props on my Phantom 1's for 2 years with great results. After hours and hours of flying, not a single failure. Regarding my Inspire 1, I don't think anyone is making knock offs for that particular model. But they ARE selling DJI branded props for a fraction the cost that DJI sells them for. False branding? Cheaper automatically means inferior, yes???

But touché. Your position is clear. I'll test the props. If they're going to fail due to cheap, inferior materials, certainly they will fail quickly or at the very least show signs of failure. I'll post my results.

1) That all "knock offs" are created equal.
2) That you completely dismiss my points regarding who manufactured these props.

Dismissing data and repeating anecdotes does not a good argument make and certainly doesn't educate. If we're going to cite anecdotes as "evidence," I've been using "knock off" props on my Phantom 1's for 2 years with great results. After hours and hours of flying, not a single failure. Regarding my Inspire 1, I don't think anyone is making knock offs for that particular model. But they ARE selling DJI branded props for a fraction the cost that DJI sells them for. False branding? Cheaper automatically means inferior, yes???

But touché. Your position is clear. I'll test the props. If they're going to fail due to cheap, inferior materials, certainly they will fail quickly or at the very least show signs of failure. I'll post my results.

1) That knock-offs are as good as OEM props.
2) You assume you know who manufactures these props.

As Haloweenhamster said above, there are subtle but clear differences between the props in the photos you posted. Maybe those differences will matter, or maybe they won't.

It's great that you've had no failures so far, and again I wish you luck with your latest purchase. I'm just not comfortable going cheap with what is already the cheapest accessory that I'll buy.

Still waiting for my $30 order to arrive from DJI. I would think for $10 shipping they would have come right away, but this is a good reminder that it is DJI. LOL

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD