DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Rumors of a GPS Fix

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Mavic 3s. Rumors of even replacing the crippled tele camera sensor. I just can't wait to sell my M3 at a loss and help the exec's at DJI get a new Lambo! Warm and fuzzy, baby! It ranks right up there with not being able to replace a battery on a Macbook Air! Cue numerous other comparisons... :)

Why wait. Sell now before the crowd gets ahead of the train.
I view the M3 about the same as the first mini that couldn’t keep its props off the side of the body that I had to send back twice before they would replace it. Sold it as soon as I got it back.
Tough decision for you I would think.
Good luck either way.

Mavic 3s. Rumors of even replacing the crippled tele camera sensor. I just can't wait to sell my M3 at a loss and help the exec's at DJI get a new Lambo! Warm and fuzzy, baby! It ranks right up there with not being able to replace a battery on a Macbook Air! Cue numerous other comparisons... :)
No reason to be selling at a loss, when demand is still high, despite the grumbling of a vocal minority. The GNSS issue is fixed for most, and only affects those who need to launch without delay. For the rest, a few extra minutes isn't a serious problem. It has no affect after launch, and no impact on stills and video, which are the only measurable output that most care about.

No reason to be selling at a loss, when demand is still high,
How did you measure "high"? You might want to tell DJI so they don't have to release a "3S".
despite the grumbling of a vocal minority.
How'd you figure "minority"?
The GNSS issue is fixed for most,
Most?
and only affects those who need to launch without delay. For the rest, a few extra minutes isn't a serious problem.
Was there a poll I missed?
It has no affect after launch, and no impact on stills and video, which are the only measurable output that most care about.
Most? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

How did you measure "high"? You might want to tell DJI so they don't have to release a "3S".

How'd you figure "minority"?

Most?

Was there a poll I missed?

Most? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
For someone like yourself, who wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater over a minor GNSS issue, which has numerous workarounds, for those affected by it, and also concerned over immediacy of deployment, I wouldn't expect you to understand. You are in the vocal minority. Realistically, a few minute delay in deployment on the first flight of the day, if one is affected by it, is not a reason to reject the Mavic 3, even for professionals.

DJI "have to release a 3S?" Really? Based upon rumors?
If DJI releases a 3S, that would be a logical progression for an interim update, while working on a Mavic 4, based upon their past history. It would add features and capabilities to the existing Mavic 3. Your belief that a 3S is necessary to "fix" a "defective" Mavic 3 that "no one wants" is ill informed. If anything, demand for the Mavic 3 can be expected to increase, as it matures, and early release issues are resolved. Would your opinion change if the next FW update fixes GNSS issues for everyone?

For someone like yourself, who wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater over a minor GNSS issue, which has numerous workarounds, for those affected by it, and also concerned over immediacy of deployment, I wouldn't expect you to understand.
If you don't shoot static subjects, it's not a minor issue.
You shouldn't have to have a separate $200 battery just for GPS startup (the only "workaround" that works).
And you shouldn't have to put up with the other limitations DJI have put on the drone for a drone aimed at advanced users.

Ouch! This was meant to be just a tongue in cheek chuckle :). I DID read about some rumors and they will irritate some folks but ... whatever. No worries. If you bought it cause it was good enough then...

• Haha
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
For someone like yourself, who wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater over a minor GNSS issue, which has numerous workarounds, for those affected by it, and also concerned over immediacy of deployment, I wouldn't expect you to understand. You are in the vocal minority. Realistically, a few minute delay in deployment on the first flight of the day, if one is affected by it, is not a reason to reject the Mavic 3, even for professionals.

DJI "have to release a 3S?" Really? Based upon rumors?
If DJI releases a 3S, that would be a logical progression for an interim update, while working on a Mavic 4, based upon their past history. It would add features and capabilities to the existing Mavic 3. Your belief that a 3S is necessary to "fix" a "defective" Mavic 3 that "no one wants" is ill informed. If anything, demand for the Mavic 3 can be expected to increase, as it matures, and early release issues are resolved. Would your opinion change if the next FW update fixes GNSS issues for everyone?
I minor issue.for what the M3 costs it should be spot on period with no excuses.

Just sayin', you can be complacent of you want to, but you're making a lot of assumptions and speaking for a lot of other people.

Chris
You are also making a lot of assumptions and speaking for those who have no complaints! Not being complacent at all. Just enjoying what the drone is already capable of today, rather than nitpicking about one issue that has only annoyed me one time, and that I have been able to work around every other time, until the most recent fix solved it for me. It isn't a deal breaker for anyone who is interested in working around it, should it ever be an issue.

Last edited:
If you don't shoot static subjects, it's not a minor issue.
You shouldn't have to have a separate $200 battery just for GPS startup (the only "workaround" that works).
And you shouldn't have to put up with the other limitations DJI have put on the drone for a drone aimed at advanced users.
It isn't a separate battery just for GPS startups. It is any other battery that is at 96% charge that cannot be topped off to 100% charge for flight, without first doing something with it to deplete it below 95% so it can be topped off to 100% for a later flight that day. Using it for GPS startup is a perfect win-win! Long distance flyers have been doing this for every flight for years. Every second counts when maximizing flight time. Swapping batteries after the HP has been acquired is par for the course. It's the only way to launch with a 100% battery.

What other limitations am I putting up with?

I minor issue.for what the M3 costs it should be spot on period with no excuses.
It is also being remedied in the next FW update. If it is a deal breaker for you, wait until it is confirmed that it is fixed for everyone. Simple solution.

Ouch! This was meant to be just a tongue in cheek chuckle :). I DID read about some rumors and they will irritate some folks but ... whatever. No worries. If you bought it cause it was good enough then...
Good enough and getting better with every update.

What other limitations am I putting up with?
I don't want to get involved in a drawn out discussion about this.
The drawbacks of using drones that use DJI Fly vs those that use DJI Go 4 have been discussed ad infinitum so I won't list them again.
Using DJI Fly is a significant step down for serious photographers who are used to the options and conveniences they have had for years already.
It is also being remedied in the next FW update.
Maybe it will ... I hope it does.
But it's not looking good that DJI have taken this long and still haven't been able to get GPS working properly .
Their latest message doesn't inspire confidence ... we have identified the problem ... but it will take another two months to fix it (after 4 months already trying)?
And the thing about high latitudes just doesn't stack up.

I don't want to get involved in a drawn out discussion about this.
The drawbacks of using drones that use DJI Fly vs those that use DJI Go 4 have been discussed ad infinitum so I won't list them again.
Using DJI Fly is a significant step down for serious photographers who are used to the options and conveniences they have had for years already.

Maybe it will ... I hope it does.
But it's not looking good that DJI have taken this long and still haven't been able to get GPS working properly .
Their latest message doesn't inspire confidence ... we have identified the problem ... but it will take another two months to fix it (after 4 months already trying)?
And the thing about high latitudes just doesn't stack up.
Thank you for the clarification. I now understand what you meant. Would I prefer it used Go 4 instead of DJI Fly? Certainly. Lots of goodies missing from GO 4. Complete agreement there! I am hoping some will eventually make their way back, and into the DJI Fly app, like the file number incrementing for one! The DJI Fly app is still better than anything Autel Robotics is putting out!

I also hope the next FW update finally fixes it for all! Mostly so everyone who is complaining about it can move on and start using and enjoying it, too! It really isn't that serious of an impediment when the workarounds are used. Are they annoying? Sure, but I'll happily accept workarounds for a known problem until a solution is found, as opposed to changes or problems for which there are no workarounds, and no solutions are being sought, because it is working "as intended!" The high altitudes/latitudes doesn't make any sense to me either. With an estimated 8,000 engineers at DJI (Randall's number), and a corporate desire to fix the problem, they'll find a fix once they have properly "identified the problem."

The beauty is that anyone still sitting on the side lines complaining about it, can now wait until it is verified as fixed until making their purchase. Those who have already made their purchase, and are still affected, have the many workarounds available in the interim, annoying as they may be. The workarounds are only necessary on the first flight, and a battery swap upon HP acquisition can still assure a 100% battery for flight. Works for me! If I were chasing a fast moving freighter, I'd start chasing right away, and use your workaround of resetting the Home Point to the RC, once it got acquired under way.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat