DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New & Scared!

Housenotes

Reactions
Just got my first drone-Mavic 2 Pro. Using it to film real estate, mountain bike riding, vacations, etc. I have flown it a dozen times and keep it within 100 feet. What I'm having a problem with is I don't trust the drone(really myself) to fly it high enough-150 feet, or far enough-maybe as much as a few hundred yards away from me. I am so afraid of 1) losing signal 2) losing sight 3) getting it back home without hitting a tree. Also, I'm worried that using the RTH button will cause it to go up first (which might cause it to fly into a tree or something, and not having it set to go high enough on return to avoid any obstacles. How should I setup my RTH function and also are all sensors on using the RTH function and if not, how to I make sure they get turned on? Thanks for any help as I need some confidence flying this thing! I'm trying to learn all of this by reading the manual, but there is a lot to understand!

The good news is that you have the safest drone yet. I say this after crashing phantoms (more than once) and paying for those repairs. I now have a M2P and am totally amazed by the obstacle avoidance. AND range.

Let me cover your issues from my POV:
  • What I'm having a problem with is I don't trust the drone(really myself) to fly it high enough-150 feet, or far enough-maybe as much as a few hundred yards away from me. I am so afraid of 1) losing signal 2) losing sight 3) getting it back home without hitting a tree.
These things have a great signal range. Just check the indicators before take off (full battery, good GPS / satellite signal, and especially the remote-to-craft transmission signal strength). And once you're in the air and hovering at a safe place (and you will get to trust this hover), you can check those indicators time and time again. And don't fly behind buildings (don't let a building get between the aircraft and your remote).
  • Also, I'm worried that using the RTH button will cause it to go up first (which might cause it to fly into a tree or something,
It will go STRAIGHT up. If you're not under a tree or bridge, don't worry about that.

Flying behind a building where you can't see if there's a tree or bridge above your craft? That's not something you should do.
  • and not having it set to go high enough on return to avoid any obstacles.
Especially for your work, around buildings, this is a setting you check each time you fly (not a set-once-and-forget).

All of us should check several things about their aircraft before they take off. One of them is RTH height. Not just in your line of work -- all of us should check our surroundings -- but you especially should place this high on your list.

If you do, then that's another thing you don't have to worry about.

Pre-flight check-lists are your friend. They help you with the confidence you need to do your work.
  • How should I setup my RTH function and also are all sensors on using the RTH function and if not, how to I make sure they get turned on? Thanks for any help as I need some confidence flying this thing! I'm trying to learn all of this by reading the manual, but there is a lot to understand!
There is indeed a lot to understand, so read the manual, the refer back to it often.

The optical sensors do not all work in every mode. Read the manual, and also go out and test fly in a field or something to get to know which modes they work in. See the icon in the DJI GO 4 app and get to know which lines in the icon mean which sensors. (Green = on, Red = off.) Don't be alarmed by the message that not all sensors are active -- the message isn't clear, but it mostly just means that you're not in the right mode to have them ALL active.

Standard GPS flying does not get you the side sensors (and those icon lines will be red): you need to be in TRIPOD mode or one of the other Intelligent Flight modes that have slow, programmed flight patterns to get full protection.

The good news here is that you probably want those modes (especially TRIPOD mode) to take smoother video without jerky stick actions.

One of the things I did when I first go my M2P was to go to an unoccupied tennis court, one with 12 foot fencing all around it. It had a nice smooth place to take off from, but also the fence to test the obstacle avoidance. When you're testing obstacle avoidance, of course you want to be careful not to ram into the fencing (go very slow at first)... but with care. I think you'll find that it will vibrate / beep the remote and then stop the craft in its track before hitting the fence.

That tennis court test did a lot to boost my confidence. But also note that you should not rely on the obstacle avoidance 100%. You should really consider this a safety feature only and use your EYES to never get into a place where you get that surprise remote vibration / beep.

Confidence comes with time. That time can be sped up by testing and practicing in a relatively safe space (rather than on the job).

RANGE: I have yet to lose range on this thing and have gotten it so far off that I could barely see it (much, much farther than you are likely to get in real estate work).

HOWEVER, the mistake that you can easily make in your kind of work is flying behind a building. But then, you checked your RTH height before taking off, right? Every time?

But you don't ever need to fly behind the building. If you find that you must film around that corner, stop the craft (hover), and move your body/remote so you can continue to fly around the building while still keeping a VLOS. You will edit out the paused parts (or you can stop recording and stitch them together) later in post-processing (another skill you should have in your work).

Chris

Last edited:
I am so afraid of
1) losing signal
Your Mavic is programmed to initiate RTH if it loses signal.
To gain confidence and valuable experience, you need to get experience with RTH to understand what it dos and how it does that.
That includes switching off the controller to observe what happens.
(Do that sort of training in a large, open area where there are no trees or other obstacles to hit).
I am so afraid of
2) losing sight
1. Learn to use the Radar Display so you know where the drone is if you lose sight of it and can bring it back.
2. Your practise with RTH (above) will also help.
I am so afraid of
3) getting it back home without hitting a tree.
Find a clear path to fly where trees will be a hazard.
That may require approaching your subject from a different side or height.
Flying close to trees is asking for trouble.
Also, I'm worried that using the RTH button will cause it to go up first (which might cause it to fly into a tree or something, and not having it set to go high enough on return to avoid any obstacles. How should I setup my RTH function and also are all sensors on using the RTH function and if not, how to I make sure they get turned on?
All the more reason to practise with RTH so you understand what it does.
Don't fly in a situation where RTH is going to go up into trees and set your RTH height to an appropriate level to safely clear any obstacles that could be between you and where the drone gets to.
And choose a launch spot where the drone can safely land on its own.

The pucker-factor will gradually lessen as you gain experience. Find an open place, confirm that the M2 heading and the display heading agree, and keeping it close fly around without looking at the screen or using any special modes. Once you are confident in your and the M2's abilities you can mess with the flying modes and practice video recording. You will need a set of ND filters for smooth video.

As for your RTH concerns, the M2 is supposed to record the last 60 seconds of it's flight path and retrace it if connection to the RC is lost. This is so it will not fly up into an obstruction. The confusing thing to me is the manual states that; "The Forward Vision System allows the aircraft to create a real-time map of its flight rout as it flies." My question is; what if you are flying sideways when it loses connection? Of course, if you are keeping it in sight this should not occur.

The normal RTH setting procedure is to set to hover if you will be flying under anything or set the RTH height at least 30 feet (or whatever you are comfortable with) higher than the highest object in your flying area.

Just a quibble: ND filters for video are not a requirement. They're used to reduce your FPS if you're looking for that particular type of cinematic look, but a high-frame rate is also valid and preferred for certain type of video.

Slow FPS looks good for cinematic due to motion blur, but it might not be a good idea for real-estate photography, where sharp / realism could make a better sales video.

Chris

Just a quibble: ND filters for video are not a requirement. They're used to reduce your FPS if you're looking for that particular type of cinematic look, but a high-frame rate is also valid and preferred for certain type of video.
Slow FPS looks good for cinematic due to motion blur, but it might not be a good idea for real-estate photography, where sharp / realism could make a better sales video.
I'd agree that the filters are not essential and a new flyer should try video without and consider filters if they aren't satisfied.
Just a quibble ... when you mention FPS or frame rate, you really mean shutter speed.

Reactions: kjcbid54
Well, yeah -- both, really. You select the FPS you want, then choose the appropriate SS (based on the formula of 2x FPS).

Edit: just to show that there's a lot of people are not (at least always) interested in that kind of video (and therefore don't "need a set of ND filters for smooth video"), check out the number of people that put "4K / 60P" on their Mavic wish-list.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinUAV and mbre
Just got my first drone-Mavic 2 Pro. Using it to film real estate, mountain bike riding, vacations, etc. I have flown it a dozen times and keep it within 100 feet. What I'm having a problem with is I don't trust the drone(really myself) to fly it high enough-150 feet, or far enough-maybe as much as a few hundred yards away from me. I am so afraid of 1) losing signal 2) losing sight 3) getting it back home without hitting a tree. Also, I'm worried that using the RTH button will cause it to go up first (which might cause it to fly into a tree or something, and not having it set to go high enough on return to avoid any obstacles. How should I setup my RTH function and also are all sensors on using the RTH function and if not, how to I make sure they get turned on? Thanks for any help as I need some confidence flying this thing! I'm trying to learn all of this by reading the manual, but there is a lot to understand!
Hi
I have similar worries, after all these are not toys and are not cheap. However, just remember the drone code and ALWAYS fly within line of sight, that way you will have a good signal and can see what you Mavic is doing, which also means you can see trees and obstacles. NEVER fly above 400 feet however tempting. Stay 50 metres from people, etc Drone code - Dronesafe

RTH works really well but you can always override it if you feel unsure and then take control again.

Reactions: Housenotes
This is why this forum is so helpful. Chris et al have given you some great advice. As a "rookie" myself, I'll add one suggestion. Stay out of sport mode until you've gained some proficiency and confidence! Be aware that on the Mavic Pro Platinum at least (which is what I have), the sport mode button is relatively easy to switch to inadvertently. This disengages the forward and downward sensors as well as let's the drone fly like a bat out of Hades, making it much easier for newbies to mess up and crash!

I have crashed several drones.
Mostly home made but very few since I started buying DJI.
As I tell my friedns when I learned form non-gps assist craft - baby steps...
3" then 3 ft then 30ft then 300ft and recently with clearance, 3000ft.
Range will increase as well.
From this:
To this:
To this:
And finally:

It all takes time.
To be fair, my long distance Mavic Air flight:

You had mentioned one thing about using your drone for Real Estate.
I am not sure about other states but I do know nationally you need your part 107 commercial drone license for that.
The thing I mention about other states, I do know in Texas that being the owner of the Real Estate agency does not exempt you from needing a part 107.
Also in Texas, if a Real Estate agent uses media generated from a drone operator that is not Part 107 licensed, that Real Estate agent can lose their license.

I do not know if someone else mentioned it, but you will need to take the FAA part 107 exam in order to fly "commercially" (I.E. for real estate). It is not super hard, but will take several weeks of studying and taking the sample exams you can find for free on line. I personally recommend just buying one of many study books (Amazon has several) and read it, more than once. Then practice on the practice exams. When you are comfortable, and getting good grades on the practice exam, then go for it. It is more expensive, but to me NOT required, to take the courses several firms offer. If you have problems self studying, the courses may well be worth it.

I fly for my work and also STRONGLY recommend you switch to tripod mode whenever doing the "closeup" pictures. It enhances the stabilization of the craft, and more importantly it fires up ALL the sensors. In my work I take pictures of equipment nameplates and also use the prop guards which greatly help avoid the OOPS (AKA Brain Farts).

Good Luck

Reactions: Housenotes
Will RTH kick in (as stated for the Mavic Pro.2) ...how about the Mavic Pro ?

You lose signal...your blood pressure rises...panic...Ahh...no sweat...It is returning home automatically

I hope that it does have it is within Mavic Pro...i would be more at ease while out there

Thanks ALL

Take it slow, remember the 3 P's... practice, practice & practice! Once you gain confidence the anxiety and fears will subside. As with any new experience you have to go through a learning curve to gain proficiency.

Best advice is a checklist. Second tip is read all the posts here on lost my drone or crashed it. This helped me learn what not to do.

Yes! Reading those horror stories is a good idea. One of the biggest reasons for people's 'My Drone Fell In The Ocean': taking off without a fully charged battery.

"But I only used 40% of it on the last flight, so I figured I could use the rest!"

Go ahead and get your FIRST crash out of the way, then you will relax. Part 107 as well.

Heh. It might be an interesting poll to find out how many people were just careful from the beginning and have never crashed. I know I've already failed that test.

But I'm determined to not crash this M2P.

A health fear, which is really respect, for your drone is always good to have. Crashes come mostly from routine which can lead to laziness or carelessness. Preflight checks are as important with drones as they are with airplanes. Stay within your comfort zone, but gradually push it by trying new things. Your confidence will grow as your trust in your machine grows. Like others above, I’ve had my crashes with Phantomsand Spark, but I have never crashed myMavic Pro. It is aMaaaaazing!

Reactions: Shon

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming