DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Drones

VERN33

Reactions
Hello all, I am new to this site but I've had my mavic for over a years. I haven't flown it yet because I keep hearing I need to have a pilot's licenses before I do anything and now I'm curious if I need to. There is a flying field roughly 25 minutes away from me and was going to go there to find out this information but I don't know when anyone is going to be in or there.
Thank you all for information pointing me in the right direction.

Reactions: Thomas B and Dedal
Seems every country has variations in drone laws, so first we'll need to know where you are!

If you are in the USA, and the drone weighs more than 250 grams, you will need to register online with the FAA (cost is $5 for recreational flying).

Reactions: Thomas B
Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm from the USA but I'm not sure what the Mavic Pro weighs. I will be sure to get it registered either way because I don't want to end up paying any astronomically high fines for something I could have avoided in the first place.

Wow over a year and no flights? I barely made it 4 hours before flying mine. I recommend getting your licence regardless of whether or not you need to as you will learn alot of important things you should know before you fly anyways, plus its cheap and the same goes for registration.

Reactions: Thomas B and WARRIK
Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm from the USA but I'm not sure what the Mavic Pro weighs. I will be sure to get it registered either way because I don't want to end up paying any astronomically high fines for something I could have avoided in the first place.
Yes, you will have to register your mavic pro with the FAA and put that number on your drone
You need to make sure you need to go to the actual FAA site
There are many "fake" sites that will overcharge you so beware.
You need to be aware of the airspace you are flying in and act accordingly (you can learn how searching on the forum)
Always remember safely is Paramount to everything else so fly safely and follow the basic rules listed in the FAA's site
Read this forum and you will learn all the things not to do
Search here for any questions and ask if you can't find the answers. Some guys here are Drone Wizards and have all the knowledge
Get out and start flying, that Flying field is probably a safe place to start and as long as you stay close the airspace is probably safe.
Good luck and welcome to something that's going to change your life

Reactions: Thomas B and Gindra
Hello all, I am new to this site but I've had my mavic for over a years. I haven't flown it yet because I keep hearing I need to have a pilot's licenses before I do anything and now I'm curious if I need to. There is a flying field roughly 25 minutes away from me and was going to go there to find out this information but I don't know when anyone is going to be in or there.
Thank you all for information pointing me in the right direction.

My suggestion is tht once you register your drone as noted below, that you also to get the "Air Map" program, and stay out of airport areas completely. Learn where you can fly the drone, and use the map along with the other suggestions and responses from members, which are great.

VERN, back to your original question on whether you need a license or not. Currently, here in the US you dont need a license if you fly your drone recreationally as a hobby. If you make money off your flying, then that is a different story. However, you might still want to get your license if you want to make sure you know enough about flying drones and want to avoid making any unnecessary mistakes. Or you could attend a safety flight training where they teach you what to pay attention to. Safe flights and good luck...

i hope that you stored the batteries correctly for the past year and checked then every couple of months ,you will soon know if they are ok when you come to charge them good luck

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 10.16.43 AM.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone