DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New tower for my video editing

Mario McFly

Reactions
Hi Guys, one of my friend just offer me today a tower supposedly much powerfull than my 6 year old Dell Laptop. I know nothing about graphic cards ans ram and all that thing. So here is what he is offering

Processeur I5 4690k liquid cold .
32 gigs ram
graphique crad nvidia gtx 1070 8gigs Disque dur m2 samsung 970 evo+ 240gigs
hard disk ssd 240gigs patriot burst
Hard disk mecanique NAS 1000gigs

will i be abble to edit my 4 k footage without problems with that tower and how much does this thing worth ?

Thank you guys!

Sorry can’t help much, I’m still in your old/current spot with ~6 yr old Dell. One thought is about video screen. Seems to do decent 4K video editing, one would need large screen (or multiple screens) with 4K res.

Do you know why your friend is selling? If he’s upgrading, do you know why and to what?

Sorry can’t help much, I’m still in your old/current spot with ~6 yr old Dell. One thought is about video screen. Seems to do decent 4K video editing, one would need large screen (or multiple screens) with 4K res.

Do you know why your friend is selling? If he’s upgrading, do you know why and to what?
He says he want a laptop . As for my Dell I have tried everything but i think my
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
is the problem

Sounds like a real step up from 6-yr Dell. But more knowledgable forum members will likely give better input.

Reactions: Mario McFly
Depending on the software, graphics card can be the most important.

I'd upgrade the SSD to 1TB. That shouldn't be too expensive.
I'm assuming Windows is installed on the M2. 240GB may get tight, particularly since Windows defaults installs and user profile to same drive as Windows. During most installs you can change where to install though, and you can change where the documents, videos, pictures and music folders go.

Last edited:
It probably will do fine with I5, considering the specified speed. That could be overclocked though which could give trouble despite the super cooling. The other question is the generation.

As others have noted the i5 is just not enough processing power for 4K or 2K for that matter.​

Intel i7​

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 32 GB ram Memory​

This is minimum for 4K editing but perfect for 2K

It's not true that an i5 isn't good enough, Intel's naming scheme is all over the place but the difference between an i5 and i7 for this system is just that the i7 has hyperthreading and the i5 doesn't. It does give a small boost in heavily multithreaded workloads but it's not day and night difference as you can see here with encoding performance:

Graphics cards can make a significant difference to encode speed and the GTX 1070 although a couple of generations old now is still a powerful graphics card. You'd need to check which software you're using to see if it does support GPU acceleration and how much it can assist.

I was using a similar system up until last year with an i7 3930K (hex core rather than quad core), GTX 1070 and 32GB ram which I found had good performance for 4K editing. I changed to a much newer 12 core processor which was faster per core as well as twice as many cores but didn't see as much improvement as I was expecting in 4K rendering performance because the graphics card was doing a lot more of the work than I'd realised.

If it's a friend who has the system could you load up your software and try a test render you've done on your laptop to see how the speed compares to give you an idea whether it's worth it.

I'm really not sure how to calculate the value as I've no idea of Canadian prices and in the UK, the prices for old Intel and Nvidia hardware can be surprisingly high. In addition to that the current PC market is a bit of a mess because both Nvidia and AMD have launched their new graphics cards but they're almost impossible to buy which has started pushing prices of some of the older cards back up. My main concern about buying an old system like that (the processor is six years old) is that there's no upgrade path, if you want a newer processor you'd also have to replace the motherboard and ram as well. If you have a failure it can be hard or uneconomical to source new parts and old second hand parts may not be that cheap and could also fail as well. In short I guess I'm saying I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it and you can check against current prices to see if it's worth it.

Reactions: MavicMan64
Just dumped my 12 month old AMD Ryzen tower, broken for spares. Too unstable.

I now have an 17 inch screen i7 laptop, 1Tb M.2 SSD, 6Gb Nvidea RTX 260, 32Gig RAM. Cheaper than my old Tower, reliable, and renders a simple time line at over 75 fps.

I think the OP can do better. Secondhand parts are holding prices and there is a global shortage of components, mainly due to COVID 19. BUT there are some good deals to be had, especially from the cutom builders.

Good luck

Reactions: Flycaster
I've had a Ryzen 9 3900x/X570 system for just over a year now and despite a relatively complex hardware setup and spending most of its time running at high load it's never crashed or had any issues running applications. Unstable problems with a Ryzen system are certainly not typical.

Desktop vs laptop is going to depend on what you need it for, a desktop is going to be no use if you need performance on the move. I have both a high performance laptop and desktop but much prefer the desktop, aside from the much better performance, higher spec and full upgradeability it runs near silent even at full load. The current trend for super thin laptops with utterly inadequate cooling is something I find extremely irritating and my performance laptop gets very hot and noisy under load.

Hi Guys, one of my friend just offer me today a tower supposedly much powerfull than my 6 year old Dell Laptop. I know nothing about graphic cards ans ram and all that thing. So here is what he is offering

32 gigs ram

will i be abble to edit my 4 k footage without problems with that tower and how much does this thing worth ?

Thank you guys!
I’m not an expert on discrete GPUs but that 1070 is fairly old (at least 4) and the i5, not a terribly powerful processor to begin with, is 6 years old. 240 gig SSDis also on the small side but the HDD makes up for it. I think it will handle 4K but don’t expect a lot of speed. My 2015 Surface Pro could but it got super hot and took a long time to render (plus I had to have several fans pointing at it to keep it from overheating); this is a better processor (and the liquid cooling will help) and has the GPU to help. Hard to give a price on older equipment but I wouldn’t spent a whole lot.
Agreed. Core i5 isn’t enough. 4K video is hard. Get a sample file and try it on the machine before you pay.
agreed, though if he’s on a tight budget the GPU might make up for it (I edited 4K on an i5 for years and it was awful, involving trays of ice and fans to keep my computer from overheating).

32 gigs ram

Thank you guys!
Bonjour Mario, va t’acheter un iMac Pro, arrete de niese Avec la puck!

Bonjour Mario, va t’acheter un iMac Pro, arrete de niese Avec la puck!
Oufff 6299$ je pense ma niaiser encore un peu lolll mais ca doit être un charme de travailler avec ca ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078