DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New update for dji

As far as I can understand the app is not for us it's for the general non flying public to open the app when they see one of us flying, but what I fail to understand is how if they are interested will they know about the app and are they going to bother downloading it because most people say over 55-60 will probably not have a smart phone. It's a very good idea if !!!!!!!!
Do you really believe most people over 55-60 don’t have smart phones? Pew research shows that in the United States, almost 80% of people between 55 and 64 own smart phones. In fact, 53% of people 65+ own a smart phone. I would imagine most other countries the numbers are similar.

Please help me understand...

To the best of my reasoning there are only two reasons why this would be a problem.
1) I am flying somewhere illegal and I don’t want to get caught.
2) I am accosted by someone who is ignorant of my legal rights and attempts to find me and chase me away from a legal fly spot.

Is there something else I am missing? If I am flying legally and no one bothers me then I don’t see why I would care if anyone knows I am flying there so long as I am not harassed.

Reactions: Pietros and ssvdh66
I am still extremely surprised at how much lack of knowledge there is in the drone flying community about the FAA’s Remote ID proposal! Everybody is getting upset at DJI about this, but very few that are upset with DJI actually understand that this Drone to Phone demonstration is just a demonstration of a SCALED BACK version of what the FAA has proposed as a new law that ALL drone manufacturers (yes including Autel) will BE REQUIRED BY LAW to implement if the Remote ID proposal is passed as currently proposed.

Educate yourself and direct your ire towards the FAA by providing an educated response to their proposal

If you want to know DJI’s stance on Remote ID and pilot privacy, I would suggest you read the following links:

I agree with @kloogee. Educate yourself about the topics that are affecting us from the sources, FAA NPRM (FAA-2019-1100), DJI, etc. That way you can make educated decisions and comments about what is happening. You wouldn't get into a gunfight with no ammo. Knowledge is our ammo in this "gunfight" with the FAA. Don't listen to "he said, she said" and jump to conclusions based on limited or incorrect information. Find out for yourself. We will not help ourselves if we don't educate ourselves!

Reactions: JS1600 and scoble08

To the best of my reasoning there are only two reasons why this would be a problem.
2) I am accosted by someone who is ignorant of my legal rights and attempts to find me and chase me away from a legal fly spot.

Is there something else I am missing? If I am flying legally and no one bothers me then I don’t see why I would care if anyone knows I am flying there so long as I am not harassed.
Thank You for the voice of reason !

I have to agree this is a Terrible News.

Rather than throw in the towel and add to the negative comments , im gong to try to find a way to use it to my advantage and I think it beats showing someone your 107 permit. If i can gain some leverage using the app im going to use it to enhance my position if possible. None of this is on DJI its all coming from the FAA and how vulnerable China is now. .
This is not that China is vulnerable now, this has been in the works for a least the last year.

Reactions: ssvdh66
As mentioned above DJI put this out to demonstrate that RID can be accomplished with current methods. The FAA is not the one pushing RID, it is from higher up at DHS. The proposed RID is to make everyone be connected through a network, i.e. phone network, which would be broadcast to everyone, i.e. general public, and would let everyone know who you are, where you are flying (including your controller location), what you are flying, etc. So Joe blow that may be a drone hater can come to your location, harass you, and potentially create a safety hazard, or worse. Read the full NPRM and educate yourself, then make constructive comments BEFORE the deadline in two days. It could make the difference of you being able to stay in business for 107 pilots, or even be able to fly if your a hobbiest.

Reactions: strdr and scoble08

Number 2 could be an issue and he might just do more than chase you.

In post # 45 by kloogee, the 3rd link "Who should know where a drone pilot is located" is very informative and from the source (DJI) who created this software and gives the reason why they did it.

Last edited:
Reactions: scoble08
WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN PEOPLE ARE GOING TO THINK TWICE ON BUYING DRONES FROM DJI WAIT AND SEE..........

All this hype and hysteria over this proposed update. Has no one thought of using Litchi instead of DJI app? Also, if using an ipad without cell network, there'll be no tramsmitting of any info.
Just my thoughts on subject.

I haven't had an update in a long time, but it's there for me. Check your settings.

View attachment 94839

View attachment 94836
I never paid attention to this but it is also there in my GO4 app as well (flying Mavic Air). So i googled it a bit. Apparently, it was introduced by DJI in 2017. Here is a news article from DJI explaining what it does

In short, this is not the same as the new "Drone-to-Phone" Remote Identification scheme.

None of the Remote ID info comes from whatever app you're using to fly your drone. It comes from the drone downlink itself. Even if you loose comms with the drone, it's still broadcasting it's make, model, serial number, position, altitude, direction and speed. This info you can't change.

so your saying you never fly out of sight . make sure you dont because you will pay hefty

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d